Got a set of used LS6 Speakers, Questions now!

Cheeseboy

Re: Got a set of used LS6 Speakers, Questions now!
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm »
There is so much going on in your room.  Are those 5K Softlights hanging from the ceiling on either side of the projector?   What are the small square holes in the front wall down low on either side of the equipment rack?  They look like they are lined witrh no rez.  Are your subs in the basement?    This would be a great where's Waldo picture. 

Have you fired up the LS6 yet?  What do you think? 

ufokillerz

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2013, 03:28 am »
There is so much going on in your room.  Are those 5K Softlights hanging from the ceiling on either side of the projector?   What are the small square holes in the front wall down low on either side of the equipment rack?  They look like they are lined witrh no rez.  Are your subs in the basement?    This would be a great where's Waldo picture. 

Have you fired up the LS6 yet?  What do you think?

i actually have a soffit up there where you see the lights.
the square holes are extensions through the wall, i have 2 danley dts-10 subs behind my main wall.

i have fired the ls6 up, and i can tell i need a lot of work!
i just came home from walmart with 2 50oz bags of polyfill, i hope that is enough
also have some new amps coming in 2 weeks, then slowly working on cables, treatments and other items.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2013, 06:17 pm »
What kind of power amps are you moving into the system? 

ufokillerz

« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2013, 06:39 pm »
What kind of power amps are you moving into the system?
currently on hypex ncore400 diy amps
moving to a set of merrill audio veritas

i pretty much figured my biggest problem with the LS6, they currently sound great

but it was hurting my ears when i streamed pandora through my marantz av8801

mlbrand

« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2013, 08:02 pm »
it was hurting my ears when i streamed pandora through my marantz av8801

(free) Pandora sounds surprisingly good through my LS-6's. Better room treatments and upstream gear should change that for you.

ufokillerz

« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2013, 08:58 pm »
(free) Pandora sounds surprisingly good through my LS-6's. Better room treatments and upstream gear should change that for you.

That is good to know, i think one of the problems might be that the power i am providing my prepro/amps
prepro is run through a pretty cheap UPS/voltage regulator from monoprice
the amps are connected to a older belkin pf31 power console, the amps should be plugged into the wall, but this is the same system my wife watches tv on, so she wont be happy if she has to go flip 5 switches before turning the tv on and off.

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 15 Feb 2013, 09:02 pm »
From my experience, those amps need really good power cables and power conditioning. They are very easily contaminated by A/C noise. 

ufokillerz

« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2013, 09:22 pm »
From my experience, those amps need really good power cables and power conditioning. They are very easily contaminated by A/C noise.

thanks Danny, My new amps will have some nice power cables with them, i am working on getting something for the amps as well.

I have too much stuff going on with power at home, 2 central air conditioners that go on during the summer, and 2 ductless split heatpumps that operate all year long. Definitely a lot of motor noise at home.

kingdeezie

« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2013, 09:26 pm »
currently on hypex ncore400 diy amps
moving to a set of merrill audio veritas

i pretty much figured my biggest problem with the LS6, they currently sound great

but it was hurting my ears when i streamed pandora through my marantz av8801

I would consider tubes, at least for a preamplifier. I have never heard class D on the LS6's, but all of the solid state amplifiers that I tried on the LSs did not really gel well.

I had Odyssey Kismets, JC-1s, and a Pass Labs 250.5 on the LSs, and until I bought my Manley NeoClassic 250s, I was never truly satisfied.

If you are dead set on the Merrill audio stuff, I would look into a tube preamp for your music.

thanks Danny, My new amps will have some nice power cables with them, i am working on getting something for the amps as well.

I have too much stuff going on with power at home, 2 central air conditioners that go on during the summer, and 2 ductless split heatpumps that operate all year long. Definitely a lot of motor noise at home.

Consider an actual power conditioner. Check out the Majik or Uberbuss at PI Audio.

LarryB

« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2013, 10:38 pm »
I few months ago, Merrill Wettasinghe and I were introduced by a mutual friend. Since then, Merrill has been over my house a number of times, providing me the opportunity to audition his amps with a variety of speakers.

The Veritas are remarkably grain-free and natural sounding, without the high frequency distortion that characterizes a number of other Class D's I've heard.  And of course, they have all the positive atributes for which Class s D amps are known, including high efficiency, plenty of power, and excellent control in the bass.

Simply put, the Veritas are the best Class D amps I have heard, by a long shot.

Larry Borden

Cheeseboy

« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2013, 10:39 pm »
Danny and the King are giving really good advice.   

When I first put my LS6 into operation the first thing I noticed was the etched highs.  They were not bad.  I just knew they could be better.  Switching out cables made an immediate difference.   I found some good speaker cables and interconnects.  My wife was witness to the dramatic change as I made a big deal about playing a cut of music with the old cables in the system (Just the Interconnects) then switched to the new ones and played the same cut of music. 

I was using an older integrated solid state amp.  With my old Magnaplanars it worked great.  They rolled off the highs.  My Rocket 850's had recessed highs.  The LS6 are very resolving from highs to lows.  I just trusted guys like the King and others when it came to what I should do in order to wring the best I could out of these speakers.  I decided I would take the advice and invested in a tubed preamp and a very powerful digital amp.  I rolled a tube in the preamp and found it made the difference I was looking for in the pre and amp combination.  The digital amp latched onto all of those woofers and controlled them with an iron fist.  The upgrade to the tube helped sweeten the mids and took a hair of brightness off the highs.   I have a really wide, tall and deep soundstage. 

I could not afford new pre and amp and an AC conditioner all at the same time.  I invested in a battery "off the grid" preamp.  I'm glad I did.  However the line of NEO 8 tweeters tend to shimmer and get glared during the daytime and early evening without an AC conditioner.   It is a different story after midnight.  They get as smooth as a babies bottom late at night.   The space between the notes is better defined.   So I need a conditioner and I also have found I really should have invested in shielded cables.   Alot of noise comes though the cables in my application.  Long story. 

I'll buy either one of Dave's Buss products or a used Power Plant Premier.    I'm also thinking that after the tax man has his way with me I'll invest in a tubed amp.   Hmmm!  Rogue 180's or a Dodd pair of monoblocks.   All said I think I have at least another year of upgrades to make to finally get these speakers in the right system.   

Last night Fleetwood Mac were in the living room.  Swear to god. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb 2013, 11:25 pm »
After going back to read what is in your system today I would suggest that you start by gravitating to a musical sounding preamp with HT passthrough.  My opinion is that your HT receiver is just ok for 2 channel but a tubed preamp would get you miles down the road closer to 2 channel audio bliss.   Yes to new cables.  I have no quarrel with Merrell Class D Amps but I think you will get huge sonic improvement from investing in a 2 channel pre amp.   I would put the money in cables, AC conditioning and a 2 channel preamp.    It will cost you much less and you will get a bigger bang for your buck.   Most receivers do compromise the two channel audio preamp stage in them.

Roll some cables.  Roll a tube in the preamp or two.  Then spend all of that saved money on the amp of your choice.    Then roll some more cables and tubes.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 16 Feb 2013, 12:15 am »
I mentioned earlier that I had a pair of LS9s, which share most of the characteristics with the 6's.  First of all, although these are top level speakers, they are not the easiest to match with a system or a room.  The LS6's were designed when Danny had a medium sized Dodd amp and a Dodd pre.  Although they are moderately efficient, they need a sizeable amount of power to control the back EMF from that many woofers.  In my system, it took about 200 wpc and a Moscode 401HR amp for them to really bloom... I already had a Dodd preamp.  You already have quite a few options for room treatment, so you may be set there. 
The Ncore amps may be all you need as the 6's are easier to drive than the 9's, but I agree that you might look into a good preamp.  If you have followed various threads about Gary Dodd, you know he could use the sales, and he has a mint pre that was donated back to him that is identical (but prettier) than mine.  It is really a can't miss, since it is the pre that Danny used to voice the LS6.  Google Dodd Audio and give him a call.
You've got a very fine speaker there, and it is only going to get better as you feed it better. :thumb:

Scott

SoCalWJS

« Reply #33 on: 16 Feb 2013, 12:47 am »
Danny and the King are giving really good advice.   

When I first put my LS6 into operation the first thing I noticed was the etched highs.  They were not bad.  I just knew they could be better.  Switching out cables made an immediate difference.   I found some good speaker cables and interconnects.  My wife was witness to the dramatic change as I made a big deal about playing a cut of music with the old cables in the system (Just the Interconnects) then switched to the new ones and played the same cut of music. 

I was using an older integrated solid state amp.  With my old Magnaplanars it worked great.  They rolled off the highs.  My Rocket 850's had recessed highs.  The LS6 are very resolving from highs to lows.  I just trusted guys like the King and others when it came to what I should do in order to wring the best I could out of these speakers.  I decided I would take the advice and invested in a tubed preamp and a very powerful digital amp.  I rolled a tube in the preamp and found it made the difference I was looking for in the pre and amp combination.  The digital amp latched onto all of those woofers and controlled them with an iron fist.  The upgrade to the tube helped sweeten the mids and took a hair of brightness off the highs.   I have a really wide, tall and deep soundstage. 

I could not afford new pre and amp and an AC conditioner all at the same time.  I invested in a battery "off the grid" preamp.  I'm glad I did.  However the line of NEO 8 tweeters tend to shimmer and get glared during the daytime and early evening without an AC conditioner.   It is a different story after midnight.  They get as smooth as a babies bottom late at night.   The space between the notes is better defined.   So I need a conditioner and I also have found I really should have invested in shielded cables.   Alot of noise comes though the cables in my application.  Long story. 

I'll buy either one of Dave's Buss products or a used Power Plant Premier.    I'm also thinking that after the tax man has his way with me I'll invest in a tubed amp.   Hmmm!  Rogue 180's or a Dodd pair of monoblocks.   All said I think I have at least another year of upgrades to make to finally get these speakers in the right system.   

Last night Fleetwood Mac were in the living room.  Swear to god.
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Dodd Monoblocks........ maybe I'll be able to do that someday. Nothing too fancy. 75 watts or so.

Sigh.....
Love to try them with the LS-6es AND the SV's...

Someday....

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #34 on: 16 Feb 2013, 02:25 am »
All the guys have some really good suggestions so take your time and go through each step as financially viable. :)

ufokillerz

« Reply #35 on: 16 Feb 2013, 02:39 am »
All the guys have some really good suggestions so take your time and go through each step as financially viable. :)

You worded that very nicely! taking my time and going through each step as financially viable.

I do hope to one day have a system that i can come home to, and sit there for a while to unwind into audio bliss, but that is still sometimes away!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #36 on: 16 Feb 2013, 05:13 am »
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Dodd Monoblocks........ maybe I'll be able to do that someday. Nothing too fancy. 75 watts or so.

Sigh.....
Love to try them with the LS-6es AND the SV's...

Someday....

Killerz,

Take your time and do it on your schedule to be sure.  Also with respect to you bank account too.  I'm two years into ownership of my speakers.  There will always be something else I'll need to make the system sound better.  It will all take time.  The real story is that we all are here sharing your excitement as if it were the same day we brought our first pair of GR Research speakers home.  I think we all want the best for your new system.  There is never a shortage of opinions based on what we like the best and what we are hearing today.  The neat thing is that in 4 years you'll be upgrading to Danny's latest and greatest.  Or you can be like SoCal here.  Enjoy them both, the Line Source Series and the Open Baffle Super V's.   There never is just one way to put together a listening room.  But there is your way.  enjoy!

ufokillerz

« Reply #37 on: 16 Feb 2013, 07:55 am »
Killerz,

Take your time and do it on your schedule to be sure.  Also with respect to you bank account too.  I'm two years into ownership of my speakers.  There will always be something else I'll need to make the system sound better.  It will all take time.  The real story is that we all are here sharing your excitement as if it were the same day we brought our first pair of GR Research speakers home.  I think we all want the best for your new system.  There is never a shortage of opinions based on what we like the best and what we are hearing today.  The neat thing is that in 4 years you'll be upgrading to Danny's latest and greatest.  Or you can be like SoCal here.  Enjoy them both, the Line Source Series and the Open Baffle Super V's.   There never is just one way to put together a listening room.  But there is your way.  enjoy!

I definitely feel the enthusiasm here! The LS series speakers were always on my list of to get, but when i discovered the built ones whiles back, there were problems with the company building them, and warded me off from buying them. Lo and behold a few years later, when i am thinking of what can i do to improve my listening area, i rediscovered these LS speakers i've always wanted.

Definitely need to take this one step at a time, will probably be a little while until i get these set up to sound great. I have ordered the LS upgrade kit from Danny, so that's yet another start.

I will probably research this a bit and rewire the LS6 with higher quality wire, I'm not sure if anyone can tell me, if the Av123 builds used decent wire or not.

ufokillerz

« Reply #38 on: 16 Feb 2013, 10:16 pm »
wanted to double check with the people here for the suggested placement of these speakers

main listening position is only about 10-11 ft from the speakers, the speakers are only 17 inches away from the wall to the rear.

how far spread apart should i have my speakers?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb 2013, 11:13 pm »
Here is what has worked for me,  Start with the speakers a little closer together and play a song with a single voice that plays in the center.  Move the speakers towards the outer walls until the centered voice collapses.  Go back to where it remains centered and futz around with Toe In until you are happy.  Thats a good place to start. 

I can only get to 2 feet from the back of the speaker to the front wall and still have 9 feet from the front of the speaker to the listening area.  The further out from the back wall I get the deeper the soundstage gets.  It becomes more 3D.  Although there are many that get excellent results at less than 9 ft. between the listening area and the front of the speaker.  The defunct AV123 always used that number when describing listening distance. 

I hope this helps.