What did you do to that beautiful finish?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 29 Jun 2004, 03:08 am »
Ok, now that I have your attention, below are some pics of my 40's with foam on either side of the midrange panels.  Yes, it is ugly (it is being held on by same painters tape), but it does improve the sound.

I still need to figure out a way to make it look nicer before I would dare try and attach in a more permanent fashion.

Notice the near corner placement (thanks Frank)?  Outside of having a relatively flat soundstage (front to back), this placement has produced the best all around results by far...

George

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2004, 03:29 am »
I also have placed foam around the ribbons. I use pieces thin enough so that the covers fit over them. Other than that, Real Traps in each corner and ASC absorber and diffusor panels in the locations indicated by the RPG room optimizer software and a comforter across the front wall.

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2004, 03:31 am »
I also have placed foam around the ribbons. I use pieces thin enough so that the covers fit over them. Other than that, Real Traps in each corner and ASC absorber and diffusor panels in the locations indicated by the RPG room optimizer software and a comforter across the front wall.

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2004, 05:23 pm »
George:

Good idea. Is there a place I could pick up something like that or website to go to? (I'm inept in the baffles area w/the exception of 8th nerve, etc). Could I get something like this at Home Depot? I bet it would also work really nicely on the 30C as well....

:oops:

-Ed

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2004, 05:50 pm »
Great job George and I think they look fine. (much better than the ones I originally posted with that tweak.

While they aren't RM/x's, this tweak moves the RM40 "toward" that same type of performance in the imaging and soundstage department.

When in the SS (sweet seat) these things approach the performance in that department of few other speakers at any price or size.

I can't wait for my pair (in African Ebony) to arrive. :D

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2004, 06:16 pm »
Do these things narrow the sweetspot?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2004, 06:20 pm »
Bob,

I am not sure.

I can say that I have had people over who didn't sit inthe sweet spot who have been over many times before and the voting was unanimous....

system sounds better now than previous visits!   :thumb:  

George

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2004, 08:13 pm »
Thanks, George.  Your system is changing every day!  I can't wait to see it and the massive number amps at the meeting on the 17th.  By the way, I have several different cables for amps if you need them.  I have two sets for biamping and one for triamping (which we could cut if necessary). However, only one set has spades on each end.

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2004, 04:30 pm »
George,

Looking at your subs, it appears that you have something like white granite discs on top of a towel (no doubt to keep them from scratching the top)

The towel however makes the mechanical coupling very inneffective and the only gain is in added mass.

I have used a type of thick rubber washer (the P480 series, strangely enough from a weightlifting equipment supply company) to provide a great "protective" coupling.  They are cheap, and can be used between components for various uses.

This company also sells "rubber coated" weight plates that can readily be stacked on speakers and components to great sonic advantages at a fraction of the cost of some of the "magic brick" types of treatments.

The rubber coated plates come in both round "olympic barbell type plates" from 2.5# up to 45# each, and they can be found as rectangular plates which can be put on CDP, Amps, and such that may need "resonance damping" or "vibration resisitance"

See below:

http://www.kamway.com/replacements/thimbles.html

Add on plates:

http://www.kamway.com/replacements/addon.html

And Rubber Coated  Plates (Olympic and Regular):

http://www.kamway.com/replacements/bars_handles.html

The 240PR stands for (Plate Rubber)

Do be aware that the rubber coating may "smell" like rubber for a few days after unpacking due to curing agents, then it slowly dissipates.

These tweaks are (IMO) "better" than any of the Shakti, Mung, Shung, Fooey, Magic Brick tweaks costing much more.

I don't find them any more or less attractive (but that is my opinion)

If you peruse the site, you may also find other parts and products that addapt well to audio usages.

Just FYI :mrgreen:

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2004, 04:40 pm »
Hell, I thought that was a Teres Turntable project!!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2004, 04:44 pm »
Thanks John.

Those are actually round patio stones from Home Depot (cost is about $6-8 total).

I had them and wasn't using them so I figured why not...

When I tried having them side by side instead of stacked, they actually moved from the vibrations the subs give off!

I will check out the weights and see what I am going to do.

George