Love that Bottlehead Crack!

MttBsh

Re: Love that Bottlehead Crack!
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2013, 03:27 am »
I'm really glad I've learned about you guys at Bottlehead. I just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s and have been looking at Woo Audio (WA2) and Decware amps to drive them, but came across the good press about the Crack today and now I'm thinking that the Speedball version may be the way to go. Is it merely a coincidence that I can see Bainbridge Island from my living room window? I live on a hill above the Fauntleroy ferry dock in West Seattle. I think I may have to hop on a boat and come listen to your amps!

Matt

medium jim

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2013, 05:40 am »
I'm really glad I've learned about you guys at Bottlehead. I just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s and have been looking at Woo Audio (WA2) and Decware amps to drive them, but came across the good press about the Crack today and now I'm thinking that the Speedball version may be the way to go. Is it merely a coincidence that I can see Bainbridge Island from my living room window? I live on a hill above the Fauntleroy ferry dock in West Seattle. I think I may have to hop on a boat and come listen to your amps!

Matt

Matt:

Just to be clear, I'm not with Bottlehead or have any affiliation with them other than an owner of a Bottlehead Foreplay.

Jim

jrebman

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2013, 08:32 pm »
Matt,

Same with me -- just a very  satisfied customer, no connection to Bottlehead other than as an owner of their gear.

-- Jim

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2013, 09:53 pm »
What they said  :thumb:
Hibuck....

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2013, 10:34 pm »
Alright, those are some pretty appealing pics and looks like I can just make a decision when I get there. I won't go unless I have a wad of cash to spend though, so I'll wait till spring.

I love the idea though. A tube powered headphone system seperate from my main system and it's a kit. And they show you how to build it (SOMEONE GETS IT, AC VENDORS TAKE NOTICE).

I'm envisioning one of these amps, with my passive Warpspeed LDR as "preamp" for that setup... guess I'll have to bring that with me to the demo. and then Dual Core running my main rig Ncores/Maggies/subs. Although by the time I get to that it will be new version of Dual Core. Right now saving for a motorcycle, all audio stuff is on pause.

MttBsh

« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2013, 07:07 am »
No problem gentlemen! I'm just happy to have learned that headphone amps of this caliber are available to audition right here in my area. I've bought a lot of pretty pricey equipment over the years but have never had a chance to hear any of it before buying, just read about it.

Thanks

Matt

mucore

« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2013, 06:03 pm »
OK...I'm gonna gush a little.  I have been in the audio hobby for over 40 years and
seriously into headphones for about a year and a half.  I've tried ortho's and have
come to the conclusion I prefer dynamics.  I also tend to prefer tubes to solid state.
If you are a detail freak, ymmv, but for me it's tone, tone, tone.

I have heard the buzz for some time about the Bottlehead amps and how good the Crack
is with a high impedance phone.  I have to say...I am NOT disappointed!  I have other
highly regarded, far more expensive tube headphone amps, but there is something about
the bottlehead and the HD600's or 650's that is so far better than it ought to be at the
price point.  I don't listen to metal or much rap, but pretty much everything else.
Diana Krall singing "Little Girl Blue" is the best I've heard it...and "Santiago" by Acoustic
Alchemy pulls you into the soundstage.

I'm not a believer in $50 giant killers...but at the price point, the Crack and the Senns are good
enough that I'm thinking about selling my high priced stuff and getting lost in the music.
regards,
Hibuck....

Don't ever try to push me... Looks like another for senn's borning or something.
I have HD650 and am looking for a better amp which now I'm using Solo Ultra Linear. Is this one really as good as what you described? Really a giant killer?

hibuckhobby

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:49 pm »
Don't ever try to push me... Looks like another for senn's borning or something.
I have HD650 and am looking for a better amp which now I'm using Solo Ultra Linear. Is this one really as good as what you described? Really a giant killer?

Hmmm...where do you see pushing?  Didn't say giant killer...said I'm skeptical of the very
terminology...BUT that I was pleasantly surprised by how I like the Bottlehead. 

Will you like
it as well...who knows? Can't speak for your ears or your preferences. 
What your attitude appears to be on the other hand  :scratch:
Hibuck....

hibuckhobby

« Reply #28 on: 5 Mar 2013, 01:57 pm »
I just picked up a used pair of Beyer DT880's and have been quite pleased
with how they pair with the Crack as well.  Plenty of output and great mid-range
tonality.  The bass depends quite a bit on the output tube I'm using.  Taut
and fast with a NOS 6080 and a bit more lean and delicate with a Svetlana
6SA7 clone.

Hibuck...

MattTCG

« Reply #29 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:52 am »
The crack has been on my wish list of gear to try for years now. The hd650 is my all time favorite can and of course I keep hearing about the pairing with the Crack. I have to honest though, it will be tough to knock me off the lyr with a nice set of tubes. They are incredibly incredibly nice with the hd650.

But there is a meet coming up in Atlanta this May and the Crack will be there!! Can't wait to finally hear it.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #30 on: 11 Mar 2013, 02:28 pm »
Hibuck my friend you have a serious list of cans now don't you?? Just casually seeing your posts I'm guessing you have like 8-10 pair, am I close???  LOL.....
 I have 4 fullsize cans, and like way too any IEM's.....I'll count here soon....

hibuckhobby

« Reply #31 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:26 pm »
Actually...I have owned many sets...but have also sold quite a few.  Right now,
I have 6 sets:  ATW1000, Senn HD600, Senn HD650, Denon D7000 and Beyer DT880.
I've settled in with 4 0r 5 amps...but may sell at least one more.  Headroom Supreme,
Headroom Home, Bottlehead Crack, Woo WA6, Woo WA2.  It's still fun to dream about
more/other setups, but for me, I'm at the point of diminishing returns.  Still may buy a
HD800 down the road as I find I prefer tubes and dynamic cans to planars/ortho's/stat's.

No IEM's...well, not yet anyway  :oops:
Hibuck....

MattTCG

« Reply #32 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:43 pm »
I guess that I feel lucky that to my ears, the hd650 sounds about perfect. I'd love to audition the hd800 but know that I could never afford it.  :cry:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 13 Mar 2013, 05:27 pm »
Hibuck nice cans man...lol!!! :lol:
There are a couple there I'd thought about-if I'm thinking of the right model #s.
Time to sell my Asgard I think as my tablet and fiio E07 rig is my main headphone listening setup.
Things change so fast these days in the mobile segment of the headphone thing that a bottlehead isn't
going to fit in my world as I had once hoped.

hibuckhobby

« Reply #34 on: 14 Mar 2013, 12:11 pm »
Hey...different strokes and all that.  I don't have a true "mobile" setup
and am almost always in some sort of recliner when I listen.  Only
downside is the tendency to fall asleep when I do that  :roll:

best,
Hibuck....

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 14 Mar 2013, 08:31 pm »
Headphones + Recliner = snooze every time for me, its like almost impossible for me not to fall asleep.
Sometimes its a drag actually because I want to hear the music, listen to it closely or the equipment its playing through and I always fall asleep....LOL....its crazy!!!  LOL.....I guess its subliminal listening if that's even a thing.... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Enjoy!!!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #36 on: 14 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm »
I guess that I feel lucky that to my ears, the hd650 sounds about perfect. I'd love to audition the hd800 but know that I could never afford it.  :cry:

Most of the Bottlehead owners recommend a speedball upgrade for the HD800's. Do you have the stock version? or its already modded?

lextek

« Reply #37 on: 23 Mar 2013, 08:05 pm »
Speedball with any cans...

Ultralight

« Reply #38 on: 8 May 2013, 01:10 am »
Hibuckhobby,

Not sure if you are still reading this old thread...but quick quesiton.  Of the five amps you listed, any favorites?  I run a HD650 and am wondering about a tube amp.  While I'd love a balanced comment, the crack seem to be a tremendous deal if one builds.  Does yours have the upgrade?

Thanks,
UL

Actually...I have owned many sets...but have also sold quite a few.  Right now,
I have 6 sets:  ATW1000, Senn HD600, Senn HD650, Denon D7000 and Beyer DT880.
I've settled in with 4 0r 5 amps...but may sell at least one more.  Headroom Supreme,
Headroom Home, Bottlehead Crack, Woo WA6, Woo WA2.  It's still fun to dream about
more/other setups, but for me, I'm at the point of diminishing returns.  Still may buy a
HD800 down the road as I find I prefer tubes and dynamic cans to planars/ortho's/stat's.

No IEM's...well, not yet anyway  :oops:
Hibuck....

hibuckhobby

« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2013, 01:29 am »
Only updates are tubes. Just love the nos 2399  with the hd6xx Senns.
Haven't done speedball yet because I like the Crack well enough to
sell my WA2.
Hibuck...