Aspen News Update...

SuperMart

Re: Aspen News Update...
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jul 2006, 01:19 am »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Lifeforce production unit is currently (as of 5pm last night) in my system burning in and I am resisting posting a full review until both the unit and I get to know each other a little better. Please see my few previous posts regarding my relationship to Aspen, its owner and products. I feel a strong sense of obligation to our great Audio Circle family to tell it like it is. You will not be suprised to hear Hugh's parting words to me last night were "Don't guild the lily". Rest assured that the lily will remain totally guildless. For what it's worth, though, I should also disclose that I am parting with my hard-earned for the next set of modules to roll off the line and no, I'm not sure what the price will be either. In my case it doesn't really matter because I'm skint until my next gig comes along - I MC conferences - sorry I forgot to mention that Hugh.

Look I can't help myself - it's astonishing but only tell six close friends!

I recently had Steve Nugent do a full mods update on my P3A front end - everything except a Superclock - and that was a revelation and will be the subject of a separate review shortly. Together with the Lifeforce the results are stunning.

Back to the listening chair - feel free to ask any questions you may have ahead of a full review once I've got some more hours on these pesky new Black Gates.

Cheers,

fajimr

« Reply #41 on: 3 Jul 2006, 06:27 pm »
jeeeez hugh......... you could of at least waited a few more weeks so I could enjoy my recently built 55N+  :lol:

kudos to your continued great work.... :bowdown:  you are obviously a man who does not rest on his laurels... :banghead:

I'll be expectantly waiting.... just like all the others... to see the unveiling of the price and availability.  Better go home now and listen to some music before I decide whether to disassemble my baby and send her back.

cheers
jim

AKSA

« Reply #42 on: 4 Jul 2006, 08:40 am »
Jim,

I'm sorry that I will be releasing the Lifeforce around the time you are firing up your N+.  Sadly, I have to move forward;  the market demands it, and so does my accountant!!  But you won't be disappointed, believe me.  And in 6 months or a year, knowing there's an even better amp to build, you might then take the leap.

I make the point that while I want to sell LFs by the truckload, I sheepishly admit that there should be no pressure, and those with existing, operational AKSAs have a very, very good amp already.

It's just that now there's something even better, and bear in mind I won't be releasing this amp as a kit to anyone but existing AKSA owners!!

Cheers,

Hugh

ewiemann

« Reply #43 on: 5 Jul 2006, 10:30 am »
Oh my, this is very interesting news...

I have one question though, I have an unbuild Aksa 55 Nirvana plus in one of my 'This is my top priority' drawers :oops:. (I have three small children and no time to finish my projects)

Does the old Aksa 55 N+ module has to be build in order to receive the new module?

Regards

Erik

AKSA

« Reply #44 on: 5 Jul 2006, 10:51 am »
Hi Erik,

PM me privately;  we should be able to come to some sort of agreement!!

Hugh

fajimr

« Reply #45 on: 6 Jul 2006, 02:59 pm »
Sadly, I have to move forward; 

by all means continue to move forward... and not for us but for yourself!  What is the other option, anyways?

I will indeed enjoy my N+ for the immediate future but the upgrade price seems very reasonable.......... and tempting :evil:.  Did you just make a reference to a Life Force kit being avaible at some time in the future?????

cheers
jim

AKSA

« Reply #46 on: 6 Jul 2006, 11:53 pm »
Hi Jim,

The plan calls for a retail Lifeforce amp, very likely in 100W.  Cost is not projected, but it will not be cheap.  It will be competing with a lot of very serious gear.

I have no plans at this stage to offer a Lifeforce kit for the 55 or the 100.  I honestly believe this amp is just too high performance to offer as a kit;  it could actually devalue the design.

Cheers,

Hugh

fajimr

« Reply #47 on: 10 Jul 2006, 05:05 pm »
and bear in mind I won't be releasing this amp as a kit to anyone but existing AKSA owners!!

yup, I understand hugh... just following up on the previous piece you threw out earlier.  I'll definitely add myself on the sign-up list later this year.....

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #48 on: 22 Dec 2006, 08:58 am »
A news update has just appeared on the website  http://www.aksaonline.com/news_main.html giving details (belatedly  :oops: ) of Aspen happenings, musings, directions, etc.

Today I picked up a batch of pcbs for a new current feedforward programmable regulator for the SqueezeBox!!  The first is now built and performing in Supermart's system, earlier prototypes having been tested in the home systems of DSK and Hegemony - thanks guys!  I have finally signed off on the design, and will be taking an iron to South Australia for some quiet assembly!  This design is so off the wall a VERY smart engineer looked over the circuit and said, 'I can't work out how this thing works'.  But work it does, it is surreal.....

A new speaker to replace the AKSonics is almost done, and I'll be working on crossover layout for that, too!

I take this opportunity to wish all AKSA customers, past, present and future, as well as all denizens of Audiocircle, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year of good health and strong achievement. :xmas:  I thank all Aspen customers for their patience and support throughout 2006, and can promise you a wonderful 2007 with a further range of products to tempt committed music lovers!   :drool:

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2006, 09:20 am by AKSA »

Brad

« Reply #49 on: 22 Dec 2006, 06:42 pm »
Fantastic news Hugh - RMAF 2007!

I think you're a perfect fit for that show

The Hologram3 and the new Aksonics sound very exciting
Great work!

Felipe

« Reply #50 on: 22 Dec 2006, 09:28 pm »
Finally the so antecipated Power Supply !!!  :drums: :drums:

Wow...it even has a name : Hologram 3 ! :scratch: ...is it derived from 3D imaging effect it produces in music? 
Pitty it didnt arrive for Xmas or i would be drooling for one...

Hugh, a question regarding this PS: how does it rate compared to the Bolder Company one ? It costs about the same... it seems to me Wayne does the BEST PS for the SB these days. I got mine modded by him and i must say that besides the excellent results, he offers a GREAT and impecable service.

Maybe Darren can comment here....

Now...we are not expecting less from YOU Hugh...so keep it up !  :thumb:

AKSA

« Reply #51 on: 22 Dec 2006, 09:59 pm »
Hi Brad, Felipe,

Thanks for the posts!

I am very excited about RMAF, and so are David and Martin, and I think this could be a significant turning point for Aspen - an acknowledgement that the next steps are marketing oriented.  I certainly have sufficient products now....  It will also be the first time in my life I've been to the US, JUST in time I flippantly suggest before the artificial knees kick in!

I'm reluctant to compare my power supply to Wayne's.  The name does indeed reflect the imaging qualities.  I greatly respect Wayne, his update/refinement approach is fantastic, but yes, we've compared the H3 to a Bolder Cable supply of about 15 months ago, which is somewhere near the mark.  It compares very favorably, but I won't comment further.

The Hologram 3 brings sonic improvements which literally leave your jaw on the ground.  I know very well how the supply operates - I designed and refined it over a long period - but the subjective effect on the music is something else again which defies comprehension.  Most linear supplies use feedback to control voltage;  this circuit does not, and so there cannot be any damped overshoot characteristics or slew rate issues.  Regulation is done in real time rather than after the event.  Impedance falls with rising current and speed is in the MHz range.  This appears to be the clue to what is going on.  Dimensioning is extremely critical and must be tailored to the current draw very carefully.  I'm very, very pleased with it because it's unique and works so incredibly well.  I intend to bring quite a few to RMAF, and run a continuous, dynamic demonstration with a SB for all to hear.

Thanks for the interest!

Cheers,

Hugh

Felipe

« Reply #52 on: 25 Dec 2006, 01:50 am »
You should know that the current PS wayne is selling now - the ULTIMATE - is very advanced compared to the 15 month old you listened to.
Your real time reg seems very interesting though and should offer real benefits.

I guess it is a matter of time until someone compares the Holo3 to the Ultimate so....it will be compared. Apart from Red Wine Audio, i dont know any more companies that bothered making a PS for the SB.

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #53 on: 25 Dec 2006, 02:17 am »
Hi Felipe,

I guess it is a matter of time until someone compares the Holo3 to the Ultimate so....it will be compared. Apart from Red Wine Audio, i dont know any more companies that bothered making a PS for the SB.

I await this comparison with more than passing interest!

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all AKSA customers, past present and future!  Sri and I are presently in South Australia with my daughter Soraya at my brother's home enjoying a magnificent feast.  We are very lucky in southern Australia - it's on 17C, we've had extensive rains, and we are spared the usual 35+ temperatures which make life rather difficult.

Cheers,

Hugh

Geoff-AU

« Reply #54 on: 25 Dec 2006, 11:28 am »
Merry Christmas, Hugh and family.  Hope '07 treats you all well  :thumb:

DSK

« Reply #55 on: 25 Dec 2006, 01:40 pm »
...Hugh, a question regarding this PS: how does it rate compared to the Bolder Company one ? It costs about the same... it seems to me Wayne does the BEST PS for the SB these days. I got mine modded by him and i must say that besides the excellent results, he offers a GREAT and impecable service.

Maybe Darren can comment here....

Felipe, it is probably a little premature for me to comment in any depth. Hugh, Supermart and myself compared a prototype Hologram 3 to my Bolder supply, in my system, during a session extending for approx 90 minutes. We played the same material on each, quickly swapping between supplies a number of times.

Apparently Hugh has made additional improvements to his supply since I heard it, so I am unable to comment on the finalised Hologram 3. I should also point out that I have the Bolder Deluxe supply, not the Statement or new Statement II (neither of which have I heard). The Deluxe was positioned between the Basic and the Statement and is no longer available. It is 12 months old. So, my comparison between a prototype Hologram 3 and a discontinued Deluxe would be largely irrelevant.

All I will say, based on that listening session, is that it would be more appropriate to compare the Hologram 3 to the Statement II rather than to my Deluxe. I hope to hear the finalised Hologram 3 soon but I'm not sure I can find an Ultimate II here in Oz to compare it to. It is a comparison I'd love to be able to make.