Aspen News Update...

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« on: 28 Jun 2004, 12:43 pm »
Folks,

Just posted;  situation report on happenings at Aspen.

100W US Audition amp will be ready in a week.

Some interesting stuff on product development........ 8)

Cheers,

Hugh

gonefishin

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2004, 08:30 pm »
:o

How do I sign up?

this would be a great opportunity to see how bi-amping works with two ASpen amps.  

thanks,
  dan

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2004, 09:39 pm »
Dan,

My apologies;  didn't explain.  It's at the website, here:

http://www.aksaonline.com/news.html

Cheers,

Hugh

MattCassidy

• http://www.claritymultimedia.com.au
Aspen News Update...
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2004, 02:03 am »
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the Daksa. I guess from the name it is a DAC but is it just this. I see that my CD player has a digital out, do I plug it into a Daksa to be amazed?

Matt

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Aspen News Update...
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2004, 02:16 am »
Great news....and a lot of hard work....thanks Hugh !! :D

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2004, 02:20 am »
Matt,

Got it in 1!  It is indeed a DAC, and yes, can be plugged into any conventional CD Player (or CD Red Book digital out) to deliver quite possibly the best DAC in the business....

We are nearly finished with the pcb, which was a huge design challenge, and will have some progress reports in the next month or so.

I should add this is an eight times oversampling, re-clocking DAC, using new technology to synchonize the transport clock with the master DAC clock without using Phase Locked Loops, the usual approach.

Cheers,

Hugh

MattCassidy

• http://www.claritymultimedia.com.au
Aspen News Update...
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2004, 02:27 am »
Yes I see, that is indeed the usual approach. Well at least I am sure that it would be if i had the slightest idea what you were talking about :wink: I will wait till my 100W-N and GK-1 are finished first but that does sound rather interesting.

Cheers
Matt

fred

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2004, 02:38 am »
From the new News (regarding Nirvana+):
...a new, larger pcb will be shipped with the upgrade.

Could you please elaborate?  Are you saying we will be replacing the the amp PCB when upgrading?  If so, what are the dimensions? (I am space constrained).

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2004, 06:13 am »
Hi Fred,

Dimensions are 126mm x 96mm;  that's 5" x 3.78" in your speak!

The width/length are 7mm/14 more respectively.  Can you make it?

Cheers,

Hugh

SamL

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2004, 10:16 am »
:)  Glad to hear that's a new amp pcb togather with the aksa100n+ upgrade. My curent pcb is not too happy for another round of desoldering.

Sam

fred

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2004, 04:53 pm »
The width/length are 7mm/14 more respectively. Can you make it?

This small increase won't be a problem.  Why did you need to do this? Were some of the new capacitors too large to fit?  Just curious.

Lost81

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2004, 06:58 pm »
Oh, it's the amp PCB?

I was under the impression that it is the filter caps / rectifier PCB...

Hmm...

Time to do some measuring...

-Lost81

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2004, 10:52 pm »
Folks,

Misunderstanding.  The N+ for the 100W - and it will be ready hopefully on 13th July when a large shipment of caps comes in - uses a NEW POWER SUPPLY pcb!  

The amp pcb is NOT replaced.......  Sorry about confusion!

I have changed the News Update on the site to reflect this in detail.

Cheers,

Hugh

kyrill

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2004, 02:00 pm »
Hmm..

I now have one AKSA 55 N+ finished and still two to go for triamping my speakers (which are still a collection of carton boxes and driver as content)

To sooze myself if possible, how does the AKSA 55 N+ stands sonically, compared to the 100 N+ besides 3 db more rms power?

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2004, 10:24 pm »
Kyrill,

The 55N+ remains king of the castle;  but with the 100N+ the margin is now very thin.

I have been amazed at how the refinement of the 100 approaches the 55.  It's very close to being as good at low volume, and the extra headroom adds huge realism.

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2004, 03:32 am »
Folks,

There's an update to the NEWS link on the website as of two hours ago.

I'm sorry it was so long coming....... :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2005, 01:01 pm »
Folks,

Another NEWS update for August.......  things are moving along, not as fast as I'd like, but definitely we've moved ahead in the last six months.

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2005, 11:20 pm »
Goodonya, Hugh!

Great to hear that the DAKSA is moving on. I believe there is continued interest in this very promising product.

Now be careful on that two-wheel missile of yours :lol:

fajimr

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2005, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
Another NEWS update for August.......  things are moving along, not as fast as I'd like,

hmmm, does that have anything to do with your new bike?   :lol:   I know there must be a joke about "moving along" but it's too early on a saturday morning for me to come up with it..

congratulations and enjoy!!!!!!

AKSA

Aspen News Update...
« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2005, 10:22 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your welcome to Jason, and my thanks also to others who took the time.  We will try to make his challenge our challenge, and help him along.....

Yes, perhaps 'moving along' is very apt.......

As it happens, Ben, the Aspen digital wizard, loves bikes too, and we will share it from time to time (if he can get Leah to ride with him!)

This Honda Hornet is wonderful.  It's a full 112 lbs (51 Kgs) lighter than the 1979 Z1000ST Kawasaki, my last bike, sold just before Sri and I married back in 1983.  It uses a detuned 108HP version of the 1998 Fireblade motor, with the injection profiled for strong bottom end and midrange.  There's not much above 9000 rpm, I'm told.  I feel I'm riding a Nirvana Plus - the refinement is very much in evidence, and the handling is very light, direct and fast - yet with very obvious stability at cruise.  I'd ridden a VN1500 Kawasaki recently, and there was absolutely no comparison for handling, smoothness and sophistication - I'd recommend the Hornet over just about any other bike in its class.  The low weight makes it a dream to ride in a city.

I will use the bike perhaps twice a week, not much more.  There's a high mortality amongst 50 somethings returning to motorcycling, and I won't be one of them.  Australia has perhaps the most punitive policies of any western country to speeding on the roads, and one must be very careful as there are not many bikes;  they comprise just 3% of the road population but attract 17% of the casualties.  I bought the bike with only 3,650 kms on the clock at an exceptional price (half the price of a Hyundai!!), so I'm much less pressured to justify my investment.  It's just there for a short ride on a good day!!

Now I have to buy clothing!!

Cheers,

Hugh