Formula 1 - 2013

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: Formula 1 - 2013
« Reply #60 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:10 pm »
Boring?  This time I have to agree.

When the managers of the two leading teams tell their drivers to slow down and hold positions for the last third of the race, then it is not a race at all any more, just another parade.

The first three laps were interesting, but after that, oh well.

I wonder if the Indy cars can do any better this afternoon on a street circuit where competitive passing is nearly impossible.

Ban ground effects!  NEW RULE:  F1, Indy Cars, and Nascar racers will all operate with a 6 foot wide x 3 foot high x 2 inch thick sheet of plywood very firmly bolted vertically across the front of the vehicles.

Frank Van Alstine

Davey

« Reply #61 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:31 pm »
The aerodynamic concerns is just one of many highly complicated ruling issues they are dealing with.  It got to the point the cars couldn't pass each other anymore, so what did they do......added another complicated "fix" (DRS) to address the issue.  :)

I think one of the things that might help F1 the most is to attract another manufacturer and return to multiple tire suppliers.  I understand why they preferred a single supplier, but that doesn't appear to be working out too well.  :)

I'd also like to see the ridiculous "no team orders" rules revoked.  The team management is in charge (and the drivers are employees) and if they want driver A to pull over for driver B for whatever reason, or execute some other team strategy, they should be allowed to do it with impunity vice having some silly coded conversation over the radio.

Of course, F1 is not the only racing series with issues.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #62 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:39 pm »
A couple things. I would agree that this race wasn't as good as the first one. Alonzo out on the first lap, what was he thinking? Kimi was mired mid pack but he did say earlier that he didn't think it was going to be that good of a race. For one brief moment it looked like Button might move up but those hopes were dashed rather quickly. After all that the radio conversation were the most exciting thing going. For a little bit it looked like Mark and Seb might take each other out and that would have been cool.

I wonder if the teams should loose some of that data monitoring. I say allow the teams to gather all the data they want right up until the lights go green and then only when the cars are in the pits. They can still gather data all through practice and qualifying. I also think they should loosen up the Park Ferme (sp?) rules. I think the teams should be allowed to make mechanical adjustments to the car. NO changing of parts so we don't get special qualifying parts just mechanical changes. What do you all think?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #63 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:53 pm »
Alonzo out on the first lap, what was he thinking?
Local TV speakers informed Alonso desired keep on the track 1 or 2 laps more to do a tire change to a slick tire already due the track had few wet.

Many tire changes and 6 or more kinds of tire rubber are ridiculus.
Others features that are too much:
Automatic starting race software, semi-auto gearbox, talk radio, telemetry(which the team use to adjusting the suspension/engine on the flying.

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #64 on: 24 Mar 2013, 05:55 pm »
Local TV speakers informed Alonso desired keep on the track 1 or 2 laps more to do a tire change to a slick tire already due the track had few wet.

Many tire changes and 6 or more kinds of tire rubber are ridiculus.
Others features that are too much:
Automatic starting race software, semi-auto gearbox, talk radio, telemetry(which the team use to adjusting the suspension/engine on the flying.

I heard that explanation too but his engineer must have told him how serious the damage was because they were set up and waiting for him to come in.

I don't have a problem with the different compounds of tires. I think that is a necessity. I wish they didn't have manitory usage rules that force them to use both selected types. I say provide them with a set amount and let each team use or don't use a particular compound

I could be wrong but I don't think the start is fully software controlled anymore. Semiauto gearbox is fine but maybe limit the number of gears. Radios are fine and I already voiced my opinion on telemetry.

rooze

« Reply #65 on: 24 Mar 2013, 06:14 pm »
I thought it was a pretty good race. There's no sense in one driver taking out both he and his team-mate in a senseless overtaking maneuver. It certainly looked like that might happen with the Vettel / Webber battle, so what happened was entirely predictable, with the added spice of Vettel ignoring team orders  :scratch:

Having a 'Constructors championship' creates at least some of the pressure to enforce team rules, where otherwise, at least in this early stage of the season, they might be a little less inclined to force a driver to back-off his teammate...

I wish they'd show the race concurrently on PPV. I'd gladly pay $5 to watch the darn thing ad-free  :o

rooze

« Reply #66 on: 24 Mar 2013, 06:19 pm »
Oops...sorry, a dble post

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #67 on: 24 Mar 2013, 10:18 pm »
I could be wrong but I don't think the start is fully software controlled anymore. Semiauto gearbox is fine but maybe limit the number of gears. Radios are fine and I already voiced my opinion on telemetry.
If I remember well FIA could not inspect the ban of this item and liberated for all teams use.
Last year I hear the TV narrator mention something about this press on button on the steering wheel, what makes sense as after the liberation the crashes at starting drops and are pretty rare.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #68 on: 24 Mar 2013, 10:31 pm »
Best part of the race for me was after the checker flag! The cool down room was anything but cool.....lol.
Vettel is ridiculous in his pursuit of the top step on the podium, he showed the world his true colors today that's for sure.

I never saw three more miserable men celebrating an achievement!! It was a riot to watch and the stories that will follow should be even better... if that's possible.  :wink:

Crimson

« Reply #69 on: 24 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm »
Pit to car telemetry was banned 7 years ago.

Alonzo was told to stay out.

Vettel is a jackass.

Waiting for the next race. Malaysia was a snooze fest.

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #70 on: 24 Mar 2013, 11:48 pm »

Vettel is a jackass.

Now they should ban car to pit!

So the team was stupid!

No argument with that!

Yes, next race please!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #71 on: 25 Mar 2013, 12:26 am »

Vettel is a jackass.

This is correct, my fault.

a.wayne

« Reply #72 on: 26 Mar 2013, 06:19 pm »
I thought it was a pretty good race. There's no sense in one driver taking out both he and his team-mate in a senseless overtaking maneuver. It certainly looked like that might happen with the Vettel / Webber battle, so what happened was entirely predictable, with the added spice of Vettel ignoring team orders  :scratch:

Having a 'Constructors championship' creates at least some of the pressure to enforce team rules, where otherwise, at least in this early stage of the season, they might be a little less inclined to force a driver to back-off his teammate...

I wish they'd show the race concurrently on PPV. I'd gladly pay $5 to watch the darn thing ad-free  :o

Yeah ......... :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #73 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm »
Yeah ......... :lol:

That is exactly what shall be happening at RBR.
In my country all the trickery of Her Schumaker were shown on TV and detailed explained by speakers or in web blogs, so for this he is called Dick Dastardly here.

won ton on

« Reply #74 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:49 pm »
I can just imagine if Webber had done the same to Vettel,you can be sure they wouldn't have swept it under the carpet.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 27 Mar 2013, 12:22 am »
Transfer the guilty not good, I feel Webber is a much better person than Vettel.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #76 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:18 am »
Crimson wrote "
Up until last year, Speed covered F1. Starting this year, NBC/NBC Sports will be covering it"
Crimson ever watch F1 coverage on JUSTin TV via the web or watch it streaming over the web.

a.wayne

« Reply #77 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:00 am »
Transfer the guilty not good, I feel Webber is a much better person than Vettel.

Understatement :)

Sorry , but they have destroyed the sport with this show , WWF1 , a pity ......

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: 27 Mar 2013, 04:30 am »
Understatement :)

Sorry , but they have destroyed the sport with this show , WWF1 , a pity ......
Not to mention Massa leting Alonso overpassing him and Barrichelo leting Schumacher doing the same by Ferrari order.
I have see this happeng since the 1970s in the Ferrari team, in other teams Iam less informed.

a.wayne

« Reply #79 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:49 pm »
Yes ,

Internal team orders are the least , its the fixed races and internal setups of WDC to the highest bidder is the real issue , F1 is no longer about racing , its victory to the highest  bidder , pay the vig and you have a WDC. Its why par for the course drivers like schumacher /Button/Vettel can win championships were previously they were avg, its why drivers are taken controlled of from a young age and groomed , its why those who refused to play the game have their careers destroyed ..

I have been involved in motorsports for 30 yrs and following F1 35yrs , i no longer watch the sport apart from the occasional look in due to the polemics ...

WWF1