Anybody here heard (or own) Orb speakers?

dB Cooper

Anybody here heard (or own) Orb speakers?
« on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:08 am »
Anybody here heard the Orb speakers? They have some interesting design features- in particular spherical sats that basically give you "free air" radiating pattern; good sensitivity, and placement flexibility. I wonder how that tiny sat is about containing the back wave though- Oasis has speakers that are spherical and are designed to deliberately radiate the back wave widely (giving an effect not unlike the notorious B**e 9** speakers). I don't want that but I'd give these a shot if they are not designed this way. The sats only weigh 17oz so...?

persisting1

Re: Anybody here heard (or own) Orb speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2013, 04:12 am »
I've heard them and they are better than that other company, but they do have their limits of course. If speakers placement or WAF is your main concern, they are a no brainer, I set up a friends Mod4 system. A 3" driver in such a small enclosure can only do so much. I had to cross them much higher than the spec would suggest. I could not get the mains to pair with the sub well in his room. It was far from perfect for me, but he was happy with it. Also, the binding posts are not that great. They are very small. The largest it accepts is 14 gauge. They should work on those.

If you have a mid century modern home or want a small second system, they are fun. I think they would work much better paired with a servo sub.

They are light. The magnet is not that large in them.

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2013, 04:28 am »
I have a pair that I was asked to evaluate.
Get a real pair of speakers and you will be much happier.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2013, 04:52 am »
Sounds like you have a beef; wonder if you could be more specific?

These would be a bedroom set if I buy them; SQ fairly important but don't need high SPLs or full tilt pipe organ bass in this setting.

Other contender at the moment would be one of the Polk RTi bookshelf models. Budget ~ $500 total, tops, for the speaks. Thinking of a 2.1 arrangement or small bookshelfs.

persisting1

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:06 am »
You have to have a sub with them. They do not get close to the 80Hz as advertised and the 20,000Hz might be debatable :o Like a lot of companies, those specs could be a little off....

I'd only get them if WAF was the reason. Some of the reviews online seem to be a little too excited about the sound.

They have a trial period. Try them out. They might be right for your needs.

low.pfile

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:19 am »
You really should listen beforehand, if you are looking at used, or do the trial as mentioned above. I've only heard the ORBs at a small home design show (large open space with no nearby room boundaries) and the 4.1 system sounded thin and harsh. they had the volume up fairly loud, not a good demo at all.

But I have somewhat similarly sized, but differently designed small spherical speakers (morel SA-2s), which I use for rear surrounds for HT. Of course I tried them as the main speaker just for fun with my Martin Logan Sub, in a 2.1 configuration ...they didn't integrate that well. But decent for background music--although these would be very deficient without a sub. My $500 Blue Sky Audio 2.1 powered speakers in my office sound much better.

audio-heaven

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:18 am »
Definitely try for a listen but try and compare them with some Anthony Gallo's. They may be more expensive and this is the "cheap and cheerful" circle but the Gallo's will show you what these small spherical types of speakers are truly capable of. Personally I've not heard a spherical design better than Anthony's.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:09 pm »

Other contender at the moment would be one of the Polk RTi bookshelf models. Budget ~ $500 total, tops, for the speaks. Thinking of a 2.1 arrangement or small bookshelfs.

Check out the thread here below - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113182.0

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2013, 09:45 pm »
Yeah, I saw that thread... Have to consider those as well.

Sure the Gallo's are very nice but waaaaaay over target $$$.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm »
 I have had a set of these in a 5.1 form factor for several years...they are downstairs in the living room area where we watch an occaisional movie...they are a very well made set of speakers and the sub is wonderful.

Its NOT a real high end system but its really a good alternative over the $200-$500 HT in a box "crap' thats out there.

The WAF is good.

I got the el cheapo $750 set with 5 speakers and the small sub...it really surprised me....well worth it and I would buy them again...

Suggest what ever ones you get to make sure you get at least a 2 speaker center not a singular one...better for hearing speech etc in movies...

Several friends in condos etc with very fussy decor temperments have these and a few guys at work have them as well...all satisfied...

Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:14 am »
Just for grins, I looked up the Gallos, expecting a $$$$ price... not so!

wgscott

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:59 am »
I have them for my TV 5.1 system, in conjunction with a Marantz 1402 and a Rel 218 subwoofer.  These seem to work together remarkably well, given the price point.  They are great for movies and TV. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=1571

I have a separate 2.0 music system with full-range speakers.

jsm71

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2013, 07:03 pm »
For a bedroom with a $500 budget I can recommend the powered Emotiva Airmotiv 5s.  I have had them about a month now for my PC.  They are actually a bit overkill for near field listening but they would also do well in a bedroom.  The nicely done bi-amped speakers (each speaker, not one amp and a slave) also limit equipment.  Just hook up your iPod or laptop through a DAC.  At the PC I am using the AudioQuest DragonFly USB DAC.  Very cool, great sound, and super simple.   Emotiva of course has always provided the now-expected 30 day trial.  I'm also not using a sub with these.  Bass, while not super low, is very tight and high quality.  I like keeping it simple.  More slam that I was expecting.  Kick drums in particular (actually not a low note like most believe) really kick.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2013, 08:58 pm by jsm71 »

WC

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2013, 05:27 am »
Just for grins, I looked up the Gallos, expecting a $$$$ price... not so!

They do look interesting. I may get some for surrounds.

audio-heaven

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:35 pm »
FWIW Orb audio was founded by Gary Pelled who was was co-founder of Anthony Gallo Acoustics, so the Orb speakers are certainly good value for money but IMO I think Anthony has the edge thanks to his new S2 loading technology. Whether you think the improvement is worth the extra money is all down to personal experience. The S2 filler inside the Anthony Gallo speakers does appear to help give some much needed oomph to the low end and that helps quite a bit when integrating them with a subwoofer.

I would also suggest that if you're intending to use these speakers with a modest source and amp then the Orb's might be a better bet, but if you're using some pretty good gear then the Anthony Gallo's would possibly serve you better.

Try and audition both if you possibly can.

Funnehaha

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:54 pm »
This thread has reminded me of something I was thinking about last summer. I bought a '96 Miata from my GF's sister a couple years ago, and was pondering ways to improve the speakers in the dated but stock cassette/radio system. I was thinking of looking at Gallos [from Audio Perection, the local dealer] and Orbs, since they have a link here. I thought little spherical speakers maybe mounted on the dash or other location that sounded good might look kinda bitchin'. If they sounded good, only.

Has anybody tried these spherical speakers in a car? What do you think?

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2013, 01:02 am »
Thanks audio-heaven (and everybody). Still a ways off, lot goin' on at this time, gonna decide whether to go with:
  • Orbs with sub
  • Gallos with sub
  • A cheap-n-cheerful mini-monitor (such as the Pioneer that seems to get really good recommendations here and elsewhere)

Ironically I may spend as much effort researching the C&C bedroom system as I would a main system (I enjoy seeing how far I can stretch an audio dollar and it is a bigger challenge to put together a lo-buck system that still puts a smile on my face)

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2013, 04:25 pm »
FWIW Orb audio was founded by Gary Pelled who was was co-founder of Anthony Gallo Acoustics, so the Orb speakers are certainly good value for money but IMO I think Anthony has the edge thanks to his new S2 loading technology. Whether you think the improvement is worth the extra money is all down to personal experience. The S2 filler inside the Anthony Gallo speakers does appear to help give some much needed oomph to the low end and that helps quite a bit when integrating them with a subwoofer.

I would also suggest that if you're intending to use these speakers with a modest source and amp then the Orb's might be a better bet, but if you're using some pretty good gear then the Anthony Gallo's would possibly serve you better.

Try and audition both if you possibly can.

While true that Anthony and Gary were initially partners in Gallo Acoustics, Anthony was always the one doing the design work on the speakers. The Orb Speakers are decent little speakers, but the Gallo Speakers are of higher quality, in both manufacture and performance.