Acoustic Panels in Canada ?

Captainhemo

Acoustic Panels in Canada ?
« on: 25 Jan 2013, 05:44 am »
I'm looking for a couple  acoustic panels that would be suitable to use on the first reflection points in my room.  I am in Canada and have a feeling it is going to cost a small fortune to have some shipped up from  GIK (I've sent an email into them asking for a quote) . I've also considered making some myself but was wondering if anyone  has  come across anything available in Canada .
Any suggestions  ?

Thanks
-jay

Ron D

Re: Acoustic Panels in Canada ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2013, 05:52 am »
Check out the following link from Canuckaudiomart:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649035996-premium_acoustic_panel_treatment_for_world_class_studio_sound/

Can't vouch for them nor do I know the costs involved but at least they are located in Canada

audiogoober

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2013, 05:49 pm »
I live in central New Hampshire and will be listing 3 acoustic panels soon. They are OC 703  (same as DIY kits that GIK uses) that are double ply 4" thick, 24" wide and 48" tall and wrapped in Gilfords Of Maine light moss fabric. I framed these in pine with a light stain.

asking $250 for all three plus shipping. I can also deliver anywhere in MA or NH if prepaid and scheduled to coordinate with my work schedule. I cover MA and NH for business and travel to both states weekly.

I also have 6 or 7  raw OC 703 panels ....I purchased an entire case for my DIY project. Selling due to room change.

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:05 pm »
Living on the west coast :thumb:
Over the years I have made several for different rooms I had as well as family and friends, really not hard but your needs are more specific.
Local 703 or 705 can be fond no issues with lots of other choices for material as well. 

bluemike

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:29 pm »
Where in Canada are you situated Jay ?

audiogoober

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:36 pm »
If you're near montreal I could meet you by the border on the US side.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:45 pm »
Where in Canada are you situated Jay ?

The Okanagan,  interior of BC
I did contact Vic at the first link posted,  his panels  are covered in the  Guilford Anchorage  fabric and are framed in Pine.  From the feedback I read they do sound like they work very well an  and are built with  good workmanship. They also feature the 1/2" air gap at the rear.   They are  pricey,  $92.50 for 3" and $80 for a 2" (2'x4').  He is getting me a shipping price.

Does anyone know if  OC 703/705 can be purchased by the  piece or do you  have to buy it by the case ?
Thanks

-jay

RAW

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:49 pm »
Look around the lowermain land.I called a few spots and they sell by the piece but that was well over 2 years ago now

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:55 pm »
I'm looking for a couple  acoustic panels that would be suitable to use on the first reflection points in my room.  I am in Canada and have a feeling it is going to cost a small fortune to have some shipped up from  GIK (I've sent an email into them asking for a quote) . I've also considered making some myself but was wondering if anyone  has  come across anything available in Canada .
Any suggestions  ?

Thanks
-jay

Get some from Primacoustic. They are based in Vancouver and have some resellers in Canada. This will do the job: http://www.primacoustic.com/broadway-broadband-absorbers-specs.htm. Give them a call if you can't find any one online and say Nyal from Acoustic Frontiers sent you :)

bluemike

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:58 pm »
The Okanagan,  interior of BC
I did contact Vic at the first link posted,  his panels  are covered in the  Guilford Anchorage  fabric and are framed in Pine.  From the feedback I read they do sound like they work very well an  and are built with  good workmanship. They also feature the 1/2" air gap at the rear.   They are  pricey,  $92.50 for 3" and $80 for a 2" (2'x4').  He is getting me a shipping price.

Does anyone know if  OC 703/705 can be purchased by the  piece or do you  have to buy it by the case ?
Thanks

-jay
I'm in Ontario - If you were closer we could work something out
I have more then a few GIK panels and some extra Guilford of Maine fabric I've been holding on to.

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2013, 08:32 pm »
I have more then a few GIK panels and some extra Guilford of Maine fabric I've been holding on to.

Sending you a PM
-jay

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2013, 09:40 pm »
By the way, Jay - if you do end up buying any GIK products second-hand, we're still available to give you just as much support as someone who buys direct. Feel free to send us an e-mail if you have any general questions for setting up or about our products.

Alexander

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2013, 09:51 pm »
By the way, Jay - if you do end up buying any GIK products second-hand, we're still available to give you just as much support as someone who buys direct. Feel free to send us an e-mail if you have any general questions for setting up or about our products.

Alexander

Thanks Alexander,  that is good to know
I actually  contacted you  guys direct  this morning   but the  shipping/brokerage is   unfortunate.  Chrisstina is looking  into a coouple things for me.     Grom the brief contact I've had with you  guys, you  seem to have exellent customer service   :thumb:

Habs Fan

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2013, 10:28 pm »
My I ask the colour and quantity of GOM you may have available?I'm in Ont as well and need enough material to cover a pair of 2'x3' wall panels.

bluemike

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2013, 10:34 pm »
I have two colours desert sand and crystal blue
I have fabric to cover 2-3 traps each

Habs Fan

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2013, 11:52 pm »
Thanks PM sent.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2013, 12:57 am »
This will give you pretty similar performance to the 703:  http://www.homedepot.ca/product/roxul-r6-comfortboard-is-insulated-sheathing-board-for-basement-and-exterio/995375

Get a piece of  1/4 or 3/8 inch mdf cut the same size for a back  and wrap with fabric and staple,  pretty simple.  I got fabric at a shop around here.  $ 10 got me enough to do 2 panels.

Captainhemo

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2013, 01:41 am »
This will give you pretty similar performance to the 703:  http://www.homedepot.ca/product/roxul-r6-comfortboard-is-insulated-sheathing-board-for-basement-and-exterio/995375

Get a piece of  1/4 or 3/8 inch mdf cut the same size for a back  and wrap with fabric and staple,  pretty simple.  I got fabric at a shop around here.  $ 10 got me enough to do 2 panels.

Is it benificial to  cut holes in the side frames before  assembling the frames ? Was also thinking if  I used 1x4 for the frame, I corld leave an airspcae at the back.  Actually,  now that I'm reading  your post again,  do you  even use a frame  or just wrap the  back and the  FG panels ?

-jay

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2013, 04:04 am »
I believe django didn't build a frame, just set the material on a 24" x 48" piece of wood and wrapped it.

If you're mounting the panels directly to the wall, it doesn't matter if there's a back on it or not. But if you plan to take advantage of an air gap build in, you wouldn't want a back (the back will just act like a wall).

And yes, it is beneficial to cut holes out of the side frames. If you do the math with a 4" absorber, open sides turns out to be a 50% increase of absorptive surface area!

These are some of the reasons all of our broadband panels have open fronts/sides/back and have an air gap built in.

Alexander

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2013, 06:12 am »
Thanks Alexander.  I have started  building a coouple 4' x 2'  panesls .  They will have the 1/2" air gap at the rear (no  solid back) as well as   the frame being  drilled out.  I'll hang these at the first relection  points  then build a couple   thicker ones for bas traps in the front corners.  When  I play the filtered pink noise file  the front corners are definitely where   the bass seems to loudest

Thanks for all the input  guys :)
-jay