Poll

Do you think pro football and the Superbowl is fixed? The outcome is predetermined in advance.

Yes it is!
15 (25.9%)
No it's not!
43 (74.1%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Is the Superbowl fixed?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Is the Superbowl fixed?
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jan 2013, 07:47 am »
I don't know that anything in the NFL is "fixed" in the traditional sense but I'd say some narratives are...shall we say, strongly encouraged.

geowak

« Reply #21 on: 4 Feb 2013, 12:22 am »
My coworkers are saying it's fixed for BR to win. Think so??

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #22 on: 4 Feb 2013, 01:48 am »
Your coworkers should consider that SF may have pulled the plug to slow down the Ravens and get out of NO with a smidgen of pride.  Makes as much sense at a "fix" on the game. :thumbdown:

sebrof

« Reply #23 on: 4 Feb 2013, 05:03 am »
My coworkers are saying it's fixed for BR to win. Think so??
Why would that benefit the league, Ravens over the 49ers? In order for it to be fixed there must be a reason. The league isn't better off if the Ravens win. :scratch:

medium jim

« Reply #24 on: 4 Feb 2013, 05:14 am »
This thread has to be the most ridiculous one of all time.

Jim

geowak

guf

« Reply #26 on: 4 Feb 2013, 06:05 am »
pretty sure there was an x-files episode saying that all professional sports are fixed. i bet there is some truth to that

bunky

« Reply #27 on: 4 Feb 2013, 11:02 am »
Baltimore is a small market and a relatively young team by NFL standards,they would prefer the 49ers win from a financial standpoint.my brother in law swore that Vegas had someone cut off the power to give the 49ers time to regroup :icon_lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #28 on: 4 Feb 2013, 01:30 pm »

Jim

+1!   :duh: :nono:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #29 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:52 pm »
Why would that benefit the league, Ravens over the 49ers? In order for it to be fixed there must be a reason. The league isn't better off if the Ravens win. :scratch:

It's not the league that is the beneficiary, it's the bookmakers, and the billions of dollars backing them up.  Not saying anything's fixed, just that's where you'd look for motivation.

jackman

« Reply #30 on: 4 Feb 2013, 04:20 pm »
There will always be refs or individuals who accept bribes to influence their decisions but it's unrealistic and inaccurate to think the league is fixed.  That implies a systematic type of corruption, which I do not think is possible in the era of instant replay and media exposure. 

Of all US team sports, I would say basketball is the most likely to be corrupt.  It only takes one or two calls to change the outcome of a game and I've seen too many questionable ones over the years. 

None of these sports come close to boxing, the most corrupt professional sport on the planet.  How many bad decisions will it take before these alphabet soup commissions are investigated?  Why are there no uniform rules of judging fights?  I think I know the reason and it's pretty sad and inexcusable. 

The NFL does a good job officiating games and generally tries to get it right.  Every play is under the microscope and there is so much money involved, I like to think a corrupt official would be identified.  The accuracy of the gambling "line" on the games (point spread and over/under) is pretty amazing.  It's enough to make me consider the possibility of a fix, but I would be shocked if the outcome was not legit. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #31 on: 4 Feb 2013, 04:23 pm »
So, JM, what in life ISN'T fixed?   :scratch:

geowak

« Reply #32 on: 4 Feb 2013, 05:40 pm »

Jim
Btw did you see the poll? There are a least a third here that voted yes!

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play

medium jim

« Reply #34 on: 4 Feb 2013, 06:09 pm »
Btw did you see the poll? There are a least a third here that voted yes!

I think you need a remedial course in basic math!  The NFL isn't Pro Westling...

Jim

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #35 on: 4 Feb 2013, 06:22 pm »
That uncalled interference call in the endzone that cost the 49ers the victory was outrageous. The back was hanging allover the receiver. :evil: I'm certain that it wasn't fixed though. It's just a #ucked up shame to have the game decided on a non-call. :shake:

medium jim

« Reply #36 on: 4 Feb 2013, 06:26 pm »
That uncalled interference call in the endzone that cost the 49ers the victory was outrageous. The back was hanging allover the receiver. :evil: I'm certain that it wasn't fixed though. It's just a #ucked up shame to have the game decided on a non-call. :shake:

Was the pass even catchable?  The refs let the game be played and established that early on.

Jim

geowak

« Reply #37 on: 4 Feb 2013, 06:32 pm »
I think you need a remedial course in basic math!  The NFL isn't Pro Westling...

Jim
I stand corrected ....1/4 or as I intended to say nearly a third. Also we would not want to believe the NFL is corrupt if we place a high value on sports or football. Why should we believe it cannot be corrupted? Often  one sees what is behind his eyes , not what is front of them.

medium jim

« Reply #38 on: 4 Feb 2013, 06:38 pm »
Let's expound on your eye's theory, there are just too many eyes looking on it for something like the Super Bowl to be fixed no matter how many espouse the same idea that the take is on.

Jim

Cheeseboy

« Reply #39 on: 4 Feb 2013, 07:29 pm »
There was blatent holding on the touchback play that ate up 9 seconds.  It was after the blatent holding on the 49 er receiver in the end zone.  The refs were paid off.

Everyone saw both "No Calls"  Its fixed.  Its fixed.