Would you place your standmount speakers on spikes?

pg_rider

Would you place your standmount speakers on spikes?
« on: 17 Jan 2013, 09:36 pm »
I bought a pair of LSA Monitor 1's that should be here any day now.  My stands are VTI VSPs; they have very sharp spikes at each corner of the top plate.

I'm hesitant to place the speakers on the spikes because they're likely going to punch little holes through the veneer.  I'm guessing potential future buyers (should I sell them) will consider this a deal breaker.

So, would you say the sonic benefits of using the spikes outweigh the damage they're likely to cause?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Would you place your standmount speakers on spikes?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2013, 09:51 pm »
For the spikes to be really effective the base of the speakers would need to be very non-resonant.
An alternative might be small inverted cups (like the ones used to protect hardwood floors from spike damage.) placing the cups upside down under the speaker might require an assistant...

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:20 am »
You could simply buy these brass/nickel floor pads -

http://www.oregondv.com/Brass%20Floor%20Pads.htm

JEaton

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:23 am »
No, I'd never even consider it. I use poster tack.

gregcss

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:29 am »
Would never do it either. I'd use a dremel or similar too to cut those off then place flat rubber adhesives on the plate - I put these on the top plate of my stands. Found them at home depot, same section you find the furniture sliders and wheels.

JEaton

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:34 am »
Before grinding the spikes off, you might find that you can simple unscrew them from the bottom using a wrench or hex key.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2013, 02:29 am »
No, I'd never even consider it. I use poster tack.

+1  :thumb:

I use a small amount of blue-tack, ( same thing as poster tack, I guess ) and it really holds the speaker to the stand nicely. Place three or four small beads of blu-tack on the stand platform, and then firmly press the speaker down onto the tack, squishing it into the stand. It should feel like the speaker is now part of the stand. It won't move at all.

The sand-filled stand can then have spikes on its bottom plate to pierce the carpet if you think spikes are necessary. (I don't even do that though. I guess I don't like spikes.... )

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2013, 04:19 am »
+2  I wouldn't think of letting anything like that touch the beautiful wood veneer of my bookshelf speakers.  I don't think I'd try it with the cheap vinyl veneer on the surrounds.  Inverted spikes are a really bad idea sonically and aesthetically.  I've also used the little plastic squares and Blu-Tack, with the Blu-Tack being slightly preferred.

pg_rider

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:49 am »
Guess I should have mentioned the spikes are removable. :)   Kind of surprising the stands even come with them, as it sounds like no one on their right mind would use them!