Do you find yourself buying CD's that are recorded well over music you like?

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
My whole collection is cd's,and I find myself buying more into the future... :)

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Am I alone or are there others who prefer a great recording over a great band or group that doesn't transfer well to recordings?
Jim

Music first, sound quality second in my case. That being said, I'm not indifferent to sound quality, either. If an album I like is re-released in a version which is sonically superior, I'll pick it up. I just won't ignore a band because the SQ isn't top-shelf - I'd miss too much good music if I did. But that's just me...

D.D.

charmerci

Absolutely NOT. I cannot listen to music that doesn't move me. My budget is limited and I listen to music constantly. I am picky, picky, picky about music. At one point a few years ago, I had about 350 CD's and I had listened  to every one of them up to over hundreds of times for some of them.

Having said that, it's fortunate that there are always a number of really good albums that sound great. Listen to enough music and you'll find them anyway.

SlushPuppy

Music first, sound quality second in my case. That being said, I'm not indifferent to sound quality, either. If an album I like is re-released in a version which is sonically superior, I'll pick it up. I just won't ignore a band because the SQ isn't top-shelf - I'd miss too much good music if I did. But that's just me...

D.D.

Well said D.D.

soundbitten1

Absolutely not and I will not re-buy music unless the original is completely atrocious.

dflee

Go one step further. I have purchased classical recordings for my wife and then she tells me while she wanted the music, she wants it from a different conductor. Lucky thing is that most all of the recordings for what she wants are really well done.

Don

medium jim

Go one step further. I have purchased classical recordings for my wife and then she tells me while she wanted the music, she wants it from a different conductor. Lucky thing is that most all of the recordings for what she wants are really well done.

Don

There have been many a clunker buying for the quality of the recording, but just as many gems that has expanded my horizons.  Then couple that with the fact that the costs of CD's can be really cheap on eBay from sellers with tons of inventory to move.

Jim

Chazro

For me it's always been about the music 1st although I have to admit that I bought a bunch of 'audiophile' recordings back in the day!  I remember going to the 1st Stereophile audio show in NY and buying the 1st Chesky CD's from David Chesky.  They didn't have the artwork yet, just a CD in a clear jewelcase!  Sheffield's, DMP's, bought LP's from Linn & Wilson audio.  While I always tried to buy music that interested me, when buying this stuff obviously the 'audiophile' angle was a factor.  It's  been a very long time since I've done that. 

jimdgoulding

Lyle Lovette, Vienna Teng, Jennifer Warnes,Patty Larkin, Sting--- all have great recordings of good/great music.  And they all have great recordings of music that isn't so great that I own, but don't listen to much.  Warnes' "Famous Blue Raincoat" gets rave reviews, but it doesn't do much for me, so my copy sits and collects dust.  Her "The Hunter" gets regular play. 

But the answer to your question is yes, I do buy stuff that is supposed to be well recorded, hoping that I will like it.  However, if it's a genre that I know I won't listen to, I don't spend the $.
Professor, is your copy of FBR one of those uptown, thicker vinyl versions?  I'm a fan of Leonard Cohen and like Ms. Warnes interpretations.  Can I take it off your hands for a reasonable sum?  Thanks.   

Perhaps not.  This is a CD topic.  Duh.  I like Patty Larkin a lot, too.

charmerci

Don

Years ago, I bought a classical, piano solo Telarc CD (I'm pretty sure it was Chopin) that had absolutely fantastic sound - like the piano was in the room. I had my mother listen to it to show off my system. She listened for a few minutes then said, "I really don't think it's that good" and walked out of the room.

I feel your pain buddy!  :lol: