Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

Wayner

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #560 on: 21 Nov 2013, 12:52 am »

Not quite.  The KEF LS50 finished first in the budget component category, and also won overall product of 2013.   The Pioneer 22 was an editors' choice.  BTW, have you heard my mod for the
LS50?  :)

The Pioneer was not in the budget category, rather the "Editor's Choices" category. What ever that means.

Wayner

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #561 on: 21 Nov 2013, 01:15 am »
The Pioneer was not in the budget category, rather the "Editor's Choices" category. What ever that means.

Wayner

It's confusing.  But they weren't product of the year, which was my main point.  The KEF was (as well as budget product of the year).

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #562 on: 21 Nov 2013, 01:18 am »
Thaty's kind of a funny comparison, since it's minly of academic interest--the S30 is being discontinued, and current units don't work well with my mod in any event.    Do you happen to have any 22's lying around?

The modded BS22 and S30, is mainly to compare your work :) - plus there are still some S30's around.
However, I expect more interest to be in the BS22.

I have one pair of the stock BS22 lying around - however, most of the cheap screws are stripped - I will
compare them against the modded version.

Donald

« Reply #563 on: 21 Nov 2013, 01:50 am »
That would be a 33 ohm resistor--it's clearly marked on the board, so I'm sure you won't mess up.  And make sure that 4.0 cap comes after the crossover--don't put it before the crossover.

Vlad,

For us noobs, if you don't mind, please post a picture of the board where the 33 ohm resistor is.

Ryan45872

« Reply #564 on: 21 Nov 2013, 02:18 am »
Dennis,
Any chance you will mod a pioneer sp-c22 center speaker for multichannel music/ht?
Thanks
Ryan

charmerci

« Reply #565 on: 21 Nov 2013, 02:42 am »

Vlad,

For us noobs, if you don't mind, please post a picture of the board where the 33 ohm resistor is.

See my post #497 on p.25

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #566 on: 21 Nov 2013, 03:10 am »
Dennis,
Any chance you will mod a pioneer sp-c22 center speaker for multichannel music/ht?
Thanks
Ryan

I have a center channel coming tomorrow, and I'll also get Frank's 52's.  My hope is to offer a modded version of all three.  But I haven't heard the center, and the 52 is tricky to work with.  So we'll have to see what comes of all this. 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #567 on: 21 Nov 2013, 04:24 am »
I have a center channel coming tomorrow, and I'll also get Frank's 52's.  My hope is to offer a modded version of all three.  But I haven't heard the center, and the 52 is tricky to work with.  So we'll have to see what comes of all this.

Hi Dennis,

I wonder if you can compare the crossovers of the center channel vs. the B22s?  I read on this thread that the center channel with the B22 crossover in it sounds even better than the B22.  So I wonder how far you can take the center channel to be used just for music (like the B22).  upgraded xover, tweeter, etc.  A pair of them might be the best bang for the buck  :thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #568 on: 21 Nov 2013, 11:55 am »

Wayner

And Runner-Up for speaker of the year.

dB Cooper

« Reply #569 on: 21 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm »
Anybody try the Plast-i-Clay treatment on a pair of these yet?

Wayner

« Reply #570 on: 21 Nov 2013, 01:00 pm »
It's confusing.  But they weren't product of the year, which was my main point.  The KEF was (as well as budget product of the year).

Well, I've read page 79 several times and at the top of the page, it's in the "Products of the Year" and in it's category "Editor's Choice", I don't know what else they could mean. No, they are not THE product of the year, they are one of the "Products of the Year", along with 12 other products. Otherwise, I am confused and don't understand the damn magazine.

I have no idea why the editors of Stereophile would consider a $1500 set of speakers as "Budget Component" of the year either. But then, there is a 2 piece line stage preamp in the issue (Moon) that sells for $28,000. Could, or would a millionaire spend that much money on a preamp? That means he'd probably have to spend $100,000 on the complete system, which would be 10% of his wealth on the F'ing stereo.

Our little hobby is in deep trouble, as the NEW Music Direct catalog is out with many products in the "millionaire" category.

And, Dennis, no I haven't heard the LS50. I'm sure they image like a bastard, because of the point source, concentric drivers. I'm still more then happy with my Pioneers, Focal 706v and modified Dynaco A25XLs. No room for any other speakers.

Wayner

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #571 on: 21 Nov 2013, 01:10 pm »
Wayner,

I want your Dynaco's......

I will mod my 22's and trade you!!! (LOL)..

:D :D :D

Alex

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #572 on: 21 Nov 2013, 02:01 pm »
The BS22s are in the running for a group buy at Massdrop.com. Seven more votes needed to push it to the next level, 11 to put the BS22s in first place ahead of the Polk TSi200. Some interesting stuff shows up there every now and then at really good prices, though I have yet to be enticed into actually buying anything.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/entry-level-passive-stereo-speakers

Unfortunately you have to signup in order to see the voting and deals they offer, but worth it in my opinion.

roscoeiii

« Reply #573 on: 21 Nov 2013, 02:12 pm »
The BS22s are in the running for a group buy at Massdrop.com. Seven more votes needed to push it to the next level, 11 to put the BS22s in first place ahead of the Polk TSi200. Some interesting stuff shows up there every now and then at really good prices, though I have yet to be enticed into actually buying anything.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/entry-level-passive-stereo-speakers

Unfortunately you have to signup in order to see the voting and deals they offer, but worth it in my opinion.

Interesting site. Though with the Pioneers showing up on sale so frequently, I think I'd vote for something that we don't often see discounted. Music Hall speakers perhaps?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #574 on: 21 Nov 2013, 03:00 pm »
Interesting site. Though with the Pioneers showing up on sale so frequently, I think I'd vote for something that we don't often see discounted. Music Hall speakers perhaps?

I hear you... though I wonder if we will see them discounted again with all the Stereophile hoopla  :D

Personally, I voted for the Hsu HB-1 MKII speakers which I have been very curious about.

Wayner

« Reply #575 on: 21 Nov 2013, 03:40 pm »
Wayner,

I want your Dynaco's......

I will mod my 22's and trade you!!! (LOL)..

:D :D :D

Alex

There is an original pair sitting on the shelf in the other room.....

But that's my replacement speakers.

:lol:

Donald

« Reply #576 on: 21 Nov 2013, 04:00 pm »

See my post #497 on p.25

Got it. Thanks Charmerci.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #577 on: 21 Nov 2013, 06:06 pm »
Wayner!!!

WHAT!!!

You have 2 pairs of Dynacos!!

There ought to be a law!!!

Ok my 22's modded, a case of beer, one bottle of scotch, and a gift certificate to McDonalds not to exceed $25.

I wish I lived closer to you then I could just borrow a set....

LOL

Alex

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #578 on: 21 Nov 2013, 07:23 pm »
Well, I've read page 79 several times and at the top of the page, it's in the "Products of the Year" and in it's category "Editor's Choice", I don't know what else they could mean. No, they are not THE product of the year, they are one of the "Products of the Year", along with 12 other products. Otherwise, I am confused and don't understand the damn magazine.

I have no idea why the editors of Stereophile would consider a $1500 set of speakers as "Budget Component" of the year either. But then, there is a 2 piece line stage preamp in the issue (Moon) that sells for $28,000. Could, or would a millionaire spend that much money on a preamp? That means he'd probably have to spend $100,000 on the complete system, which would be 10% of his wealth on the F'ing stereo.

Our little hobby is in deep trouble, as the NEW Music Direct catalog is out with many products in the "millionaire" category.

And, Dennis, no I haven't heard the LS50. I'm sure they image like a bastard, because of the point source, concentric drivers. I'm still more then happy with my Pioneers, Focal 706v and modified Dynaco A25XLs. No room for any other speakers.

Wayner

I don't really know what they won--why is the "editors' choice" a special category?  I find their awards about as clear and meaningful as their reviews.   The only reason I keep my subscription going is to
read JA's measurements and see what the big boys are introducing.

Wayner

« Reply #579 on: 21 Nov 2013, 07:29 pm »

I don't really know what they won--why is the "editors' choice" a special category?  I find their awards about as clear and meaningful as their reviews.   The only reason I keep my subscription going is to
read JA's measurements and see what the big boys are introducing.

I know. I feel that as part of the audio industry, I should keep up with what is new, but every issue I get, the equipment gets more and more "out of this world", price wise. That's why (even tho I maybe gave you a little hard line), I'm glad you are working on something everyone can afford.

I am really concerned about the direction of audio. It's going to go over a cliff. I understand that components have gotten pricy, but who is buying $28,000 preamps?

I give up.

Wayner