Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

ltr317

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #80 on: 8 Mar 2013, 02:29 am »
Just ordered a pair on Amazon.  The price is almost half from retail, so couldn't pass it up.  Even if they don't sound that good, it will sound better than the cheap pair of Ratshack speakers I'm using for HT now.   :thumb:

I've had the SP-BS22-LRs connected to the Yamaha HT receiver and OppO dvd player for a couple of days and I'm impressed with their sound quality for such a measly sum ($75 tax included).  I listened to both Cds and TV shows/movies.  These speakers have a nice clean and detail sound.  They are tonally balanced as well.  Treble is not strident, though not as extended as much more expensive speakers.  The mid-range is the real strength of these small speakers, with vocals and instrumental timbres being very natural sounding.  Upper bass notes are punchy and have impact, but mid-bass starts to lose some of that impact and become somewhat ill-defined.    When I turned on the subwoofer, the setup became full range. 

They don't have the nuances and refinement of much more expensive speakers, though at this price I didn't expect them to be half as good.  I won't go as far as to say they are a poor man's TAD, but with better associated components this model series could become one of audio's "inexpensive classics."       

Cheers,
Paul Mah

p.s. I promptly dropped one of the speakers when I was unwrapping and dented one of the corners (loose hands sink ships).  But at this price, I'm not losing sleep over it. 

wushuliu

« Reply #81 on: 8 Mar 2013, 02:49 am »
Dennis Murphy is working on an improved crossover for the towers...

Alexdad54

« Reply #82 on: 11 Mar 2013, 09:01 pm »
Would that something that can be installed after purchase? I just made a quick trip across the line and picked up the 52's in Bellingham and installed them in my ex's living room. Sounded really good to me but I don't get over there very much for any serious critical listening.... :lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #83 on: 11 Mar 2013, 09:08 pm »
Would that something that can be installed after purchase? I just made a quick trip across the line and picked up the 52's in Bellingham and installed them in my ex's living room. Sounded really good to me but I don't get over there very much for any serious critical listening.... :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a limited run at selling the upgraded crossover, should one be completed. Maybe Skiing Ninja or ErinH at diyaudiogroup.com

jackman

« Reply #84 on: 11 Mar 2013, 09:57 pm »
Okay, I did some listening yesterday and compared the SP-BS22's with the SP-BS41's.  Both sounded way better than the should have for under $100/pair (on sale).  The 41's are way more forgiving and they have much better bass and power handling, but the 22's are a better overall speaker.  The 22's are clearer, with more high frequency extension and better overall midrange.  The cabinets of both speakers are surprisingly solid and the connectors are very good as well.   Yesterday, I pushed both pairs very hard with a pair of SAS 50 watt push pull amps and they sounded very impressive.  Great detail, bass, vocals, imaging, etc. 

I'd love to hear an "improved" version of both speakers, but they sound very good as-is.   These should be in the Cheap and Cheerful hall of fame! 

geowak

« Reply #85 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:18 am »
The 22's look very good for the money. Very tempting for my bedroom or garage...

charmerci

« Reply #86 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:18 am »

If he does it, Dennis will be happy to give you the details of what you need to install the crossover. He'll give you the plans or make one up for you and ship it to you at minimal cost. Just PM him here under DMurphy.

Folsom

« Reply #87 on: 13 Mar 2013, 07:37 am »
I wounder how they'd sound with some new capacitors, maybe some polyfill if they don't have it.

ericjan93

« Reply #88 on: 13 Mar 2013, 08:07 pm »
i've used to own pair personally in my bedroom and they sounded pretty good. I think Elite needs to make bookshelf speakers too

virtu1

« Reply #89 on: 22 Mar 2013, 05:58 am »
I was considering SB22-LR or some PSB Alpha B1's for a bedroom setup. Would the PSB's be that much better to justify spending an extra $200?

FredT300B

« Reply #90 on: 22 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm »
The SP-FS52 floorstanding version is on sale in Fry's weekly sale catalog for $77ea (limit two per household) through Thursday, March 28. The SP-BS22LR standmount version is on sale for $77/pr.  It's not clear from the wording of the ad whether you must buy a pair of the floorstanders to get the sale price on the standmounts.  :scratch:

http://www.frys.com/ads/audio-video-television-cameras-portable-car-electronics

Alexdad54

« Reply #91 on: 22 Mar 2013, 11:49 pm »
Rats, I just bought a pair of the floor-standers at BB for $125 each. Not going back across the border for a price match... . :lol:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #92 on: 23 Mar 2013, 01:59 pm »
$77 each was too good a deal to pass on so I order a pair of the Pioneer SP-FS52 floor standing speakers from Fry Electronics.

If they are as good as the BS22 models but with better bass extension and a cleaned up treble they could be the real deal of the century.

They are back ordered at Fry until the end of the month, but stay tuned for a report on them after I get them.

Frank Van Alstine

Cacophonix

« Reply #93 on: 24 Mar 2013, 08:22 pm »
That is great price!!
You can have this price matched at bestbuy where they might have it in stock.

bummrush

« Reply #94 on: 25 Mar 2013, 12:47 am »
I've got the small ones. I want a system out in the living room .  Might have to keep a eye open for big ones.

Cacophonix

« Reply #95 on: 25 Mar 2013, 10:22 pm »
Dennis Murphy has taken a shot at mod-ing the FS52

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/84545-pioneer-sp-pk52fs-5-1-speaker-system-review-8.html#post958255

Would be interesting to see what others here might come up with. It sure is cheap enough to risk voiding the warranty.

Here's a progress report on my experiences with the FS52 towers and attempts to work up a mod. It's very tricky for me to say much about the sound of the stock version, since I have a conflict of interest. I'll just say that you get a heck of a lot of speaker for the money, but there are some things you just can't do (even if you're Andrew Jones) and still come in on budget. The 2.5 configuration adds to the complexity and cost. After listening to the speaker carefully, measuring it, tracing through the stock crossover, modeling it, and futzing, my opinion is that it would take more components to get the midrange out of the way sooner and to let the tweeter handle more of the chore in the lower treble. It's not exactly a state-of-the-art tweeter, and it needs to be rolled off fairly sharply to avoid overloading, but I think I was able to improve the clarity and presence of the speaker by reshaping the tweeter response and using a steeper roll-off slope on the midrange to get its breakup mode (which is not all that severe) suppressed further. I used the top of the cabinet as the design axis to avoid a crossover suckout at the normal listening position, which would be above the tweeter axis on this short tower. I also voiced the tweeter down so that it was flat with the midrange except for a peak at 15 kHz that I couldn't get rid of. My approach was to keep the stock crossover as is, and to simply add an additional circuit for ease of modification and economy. I added two resistors, 1 inductor, and 3 capacitors per side. The total parts cost is $30 - $40/pr depending on the quality of the capacitors used. I have to document everything and get someone to try out a Beta pair before I make the design available. Any current owners of 52's that would like to try out a pair for me to make sure the changes I've made are really going to make owners happy? The closer to Washington, D.C., the better. I'll pay shipping both ways if it's not too far.

AndrewJ

« Reply #96 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:05 am »
Andrew Jones is a really nice guy too. Back in the day when I was studying for my first degree at Essex University and in the early stages of obsession with audio stuff, Andrew was working on noise cancellation- I think it was the Wolfson Noise Cancellation Project, or something like that- at Essex. Even though I wasn't studying anything related to this, Andrew showed me the workshop/ lab and demonstrated a vast bandpass subwoofer that was being used for the noise cancellation project. He also gave me a preamp PCB for a preamp that was, IIRC, designed by his brother, who also designed the Pink Triangle Pip preamp.

Hi Toaster, Andrew here. I'm glad I was nice to you back then!!
I just found this thread. I can't seem to keep on top of all the different threads these speakers have generated. That's a good thing I guess :-)
I don't know if you realized, but my brother joined me in that research group, (causing constant confusion since he is my identical twin!), and in fact stayed on once I left for KEF. Our association with Pink Triangle originated from their founder, Arthur, being on my physics course at Surrey University. His was the first real hi-fi system I heard. Up to that point, we had a thorens TD-160/SME3009/Shure V15, Tandberg Reel-Reel, but a sinclair amp and forgetable speakers (ironic huh!).
Arthur had Quad 33/303, Decca London cartridge/Hadcock pickup arm, and ESL 57. I still remember the first record he played.
So, nearly 40 years on and I'm still doing speakers. Guess I showed no talent for anything else (well, Morris dancing maybe).

If any one wants to ask questions about the speakers, feel free within the rules of the forum. I'm not here to promote the speakers, just help those with genuine questions.
Regarding the proposed mods by Dennis, I'm happy that he has found a good low cost basis from which to experiment. Happy modding :-)

Andrew

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #97 on: 26 Mar 2013, 02:52 am »
Welcome Andrew, great to have you notice our little forum.  As much as everyone was impressed with the TAD designs (Pioneer builds high end speakers? Yup. How do they sound?  Damn fine.  Well, will pigs fly.)  I'd have to say there's more buzz about these little guys.

So I have a question.  You build a giant killer with the BS21's, I get to look like a hero to my non-audiophile friends by recommending them, they all love 'em, then overnight you redesign and come out with the BS22's.  Now the unwashed friends don't care, they don't even know there's a new model, but we're curious as to why the change so quickly.  Could you share your design goals in the change and how closely you think you achieved them?  Thanks in advance for the response.

BTW, one more post and you won't have to go thru the onerous approval process for your posts, it's a spam prevention measure not directed at humans, gets rid of bots.

neekomax

« Reply #98 on: 26 Mar 2013, 02:58 am »
Hi Toaster, Andrew here. I'm glad I was nice to you back then!!

This is awesome.  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?