48-50in TV, LCD. LED, Plasma, what model, from who?

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: 48-50in TV, LCD. LED, Plasma, what model, from who?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jan 2013, 04:06 am »
The light is not an issue for me but for anyone watching a lot during the day it could be an issue if you don't want to sit around all day with the curtains drawn...

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jan 2013, 04:44 am »
The sun never beams in her windows, because of where she lives, but she watched during the day a lot with blinds open. Would it be a deal breaker? I don't know if I can talk her into spending more than $1k on a TV, if even up to that much. But I know quiet well that most of those cheap LED/LCD's certainly look dumb.

Her current TV is hard to watch during the day so that is one reason she wants a new TV. But it a projection TV from like 2002 or something. (a nice one, HDTV panasonic, but still, getting old)

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jan 2013, 05:23 am »
The light is not an issue for me but for anyone watching a lot during the day it could be an issue if you don't want to sit around all day with the curtains drawn...

Like I said, dynamic mode. It's not like the screen is a polished silver mirror, it's alright. If you turn on some lights, that makes it even better. It's really not an issue. Mine sits directly across from a window.

The BIG payoff comes when it gets dark... More than makes up for any fiddling you might have to do during the day.

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jan 2013, 05:27 am »
The sun never beams in her windows, because of where she lives, but she watched during the day a lot with blinds open. Would it be a deal breaker? I don't know if I can talk her into spending more than $1k on a TV, if even up to that much. But I know quiet well that most of those cheap LED/LCD's certainly look dumb.

Her current TV is hard to watch during the day so that is one reason she wants a new TV. But it a projection TV from like 2002 or something. (a nice one, HDTV panasonic, but still, getting old)

No, it's such a minor issue when you compare the trade off in image quality vs LCD. And you can work around it. Go walk into a tv warehouse during daylight hours with light coming in from the shop front and you will see it's a mountain being made out of a molehill.

Turn on dynamic mode (designed for bright environments), and you can even turn on a light or two, and light from a window is no bother.

Folsom

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jan 2013, 09:27 am »
I am mildly concerned because I don't think my mother wants to have to press anything besides the on/off button.

Rclark

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jan 2013, 09:32 am »
set and forget.

Plus the modes I spoke of are the very first options under the menu button on the remote. It's very not overwhelming at all. Samsung's gui is very user friendly, probably better than the one on her rear projector.

Either way, good luck finding a tv that doesn't have some menu's to navigate when you set it up, these days.

Guy 13

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jan 2013, 10:48 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
That's why I am reluctant to buy a flat screen TV,
their remote control need you to be a computer programmer...
Guy 13

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #27 on: 9 Jan 2013, 12:20 pm »
 I just want the OP to make a well informed decision...

And the CNET review brings this up about the LG:  "The screen is quite reflective, though; as a result it showed more of the "shiny" things in the room than a TV like the Samsung E450 would."

Here is the what the reviewer from CNET thinks about the Samsung in daylight :  "Bright lighting: The E450 has a glossy, grayish screen finish similar to that of the E550 and the Panasonics, which washes out quite a bit in a well-lit room. Blacks on the E450 look brown when viewed in a lit room, and if you have the misfortune to sit underneath a window, then you'll see that reflected quite clearly in the Samsung. The otherwise-inferior LG PA6500 is actually a better performer in the light, but if you're looking for an extraordinary lit-room performance in a plasma, you're unfortunately going to have to pay a lot more and get a TV like the Panasonic ST50 or Samsung PNE6500."

Mind you there might be a setting such as Rclark outlined that the CNET guy overlooked.  And he has real world experience with it. 

Doublej

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm »
Sounds like OP would be happier with Plasma and OP's mom would be happier with LCD.  Tough choice...

Folsom

« Reply #29 on: 9 Jan 2013, 07:23 pm »
Sounds like OP would be happier with Plasma and OP's mom would be happier with LCD.  Tough choice...

She would like anything that isn't bad. She doesn't care that much except about price. The Plasmas are way cheaper than the good LED LCD.

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jan 2013, 07:45 pm »
I don't have an e40? They have all different types. that must be their low end, they say to not have a problem, step up to a different model.

If I had a problem with reflections I tooootally would have returned it. I had 30 days.

I'm guessing it's a big issue on Django's set.

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jan 2013, 08:06 pm »
I'. Watching mine right now. The window is drawn up and my lights are on and the tv is fine. Just don't put t directly in the path of the window or close the blinds a bit. Not some insurmountable big issue. I put on a movie and all I see is the movie and there is light coming in from all directions.

it is more reflective than an LCD, but just dont stick it right in front of a window and you're set. When material is playing it's all you will see.

It is an issue when compared to LCD, but is vastly compensated for by image quality and speed.

I would take her into a shop to see if it's ok. Plasmas look better at home all.calibrated, but the shop will give you some idea.  The plasmas will be just more pleasant to look at than the lcds.

Some will mess with the blue settings to make the LCD's pop at you in order to sell.them, however.

Doublej

« Reply #32 on: 9 Jan 2013, 11:30 pm »
She would like anything that isn't bad. She doesn't care that much except about price. The Plasmas are way cheaper than the good LED LCD.

Well you can't beat getting a free TV from your son and having him buy a new one for himself.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #33 on: 10 Jan 2013, 01:14 am »
I don't have an e40? They have all different types. that must be their low end, they say to not have a problem, step up to a different model.

If I had a problem with reflections I tooootally would have returned it. I had 30 days.

I'm guessing it's a big issue on Django's set.

What model do you have?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #34 on: 10 Jan 2013, 01:27 am »

My last 2 cents worth:

Just about any set sold today over 37 inches will be 1080p anyway, so don't sweat that.

Plasma still seems to offer the best bang for the buck, particularly in the larger sizes. I'd get her a Panasonic TC-P50UT50, the entry level 50 inch for about $700. The 55 inch version is sold by Costco for $100 more and they have the most liberal returns if your concerned about that. It doesn't have the front filter of the ST 50 model to deal with bright ambient light, but it's $300 less and I doubt she would notice.

Lastly,  don't turn up the nose at $100 blu ray players. I have many thousand invested in the home  theater system and still use a one year old $100 Panasonic blu ray player. The upper level models have more bells and whistles, but don't otherwise offer better image or sound, particularly when your using a decent receiver or processor.

Best of luck!

Folsom

« Reply #35 on: 10 Jan 2013, 01:54 am »
Well you can't beat getting a free TV from your son and having him buy a new one for himself.

I don't own a TV... She has vastly more money than I do, as well.

Samsung has a nice "find it local" option so someone will probably set it up for her too, from her town.

Folsom

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jan 2013, 01:58 am »
She has no surround sound btw. I always tell her I'd make a stereo for her, because she loves some music. She likes to relax and clean and stuff at home so music is great for her. That will just be some other day in the future.

I think she likes the idea that the PS3 can show pictures, videos, etc. Plus it acts as a Netflix device! That saves quiet a bit since at that point she'd have to get an HDMI switching box at the same time as a Roku or Apple thing.

acresm22

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jan 2013, 02:02 am »
Destroyer, definitely check out Costco right now. This past Monday I looked at a 60" LG 1080p plasma there that was on sale for $799...$300 off the regular price. They also had a 51" Samsung plasma for low $500s as I recall. Also a 50" Panny plasma, 1080p, in the same price range.
I picked up a 43" Samsung plasma last October at Walmart...love it. It was on sale in December for $378. I paid $398 for mine in October.
I know Missoula has a Costco...been in it many times ; )

Folsom

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jan 2013, 02:29 am »
Mother does not live here.

Maybe she can look there and relay what they have to me, I'll see if they got any 490 or ST models.

Rclark

« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:57 pm »
She has no surround sound btw. I always tell her I'd make a stereo for her, because she loves some music. She likes to relax and clean and stuff at home so music is great for her. That will just be some other day in the future.

I think she likes the idea that the PS3 can show pictures, videos, etc. Plus it acts as a Netflix device! That saves quiet a bit since at that point she'd have to get an HDMI switching box at the same time as a Roku or Apple thing.

The included speakers in my tv are passable, but the set is meant to be back against a wall otherwise it gets muddy.