Purist Review

RonK

Purist Review
« on: 23 Jun 2004, 05:11 pm »
:lol:
I just finished my purist audition so here is my brief review.

System components used were:
IRD Purist, IRD MB 100's, Creek CD 43Mk II, Sansui TU417 Tuner, B & W 604s3"s, SVS 39-20 PC+, Bel the wire IC's.

I am a newbie so I've never owned a dedicated two channel preamp. So I don't have anything to compare the purist to other than the preamps from my Denon 3802. From time to time I would try and listen to music using the preamps from the Denon but found it fatiguing. The Denon is good for HT but not for music. Based on reviews and posts on AC for the purist, my expectations were high and I wasn't disappointed. Immediately upon hooking up the purist everything opened up, details, clarity, there were things I was hearing from CD's that I never heard before. I found my self anxiously popping in cd after cd. Suddenly, it was fun to listen to music. For the two weeks that I had the purist, the first thing that I did when I came home from work was to put the tuner on and listen to music while I sorted through my mail or checked my phone messages. I would even turn down the sound on the tv when watching the ball game and listen to music. On the weekends I would sit down and listen to CD's for 3 or 4 hours at a time.

I would definitely purchase a purist right now but I'm waiting for the Sabai. I need to have the integration with HT. I know there is a way to do it with the purist but I don't want to go through the hassle. I would much prefer the HT passthrough and the remote. So, I will patiently wait.

The purist is gone now but I had fun while it lasted.

Once again Curt, thanks for the opportunity to audition the purist.

westcoast

Purist Review
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2004, 02:10 am »
Nice review, RonK!  There's a great synergy between the Purist and the MB 100's - I've got the same set-up.  Dynamic and musical, and tough to beat at that price point (and well beyond).  It's nice to have the gain control on the Purist, yes?  :D

RonK

Gain
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2004, 07:00 pm »
Yes, the gain does come in handy. For the most part, I listened to everything on 0 db but found it helpful on some material. There was great synergy between the purist and my tuner, that's where I found the gain to be especially usefull.

JoshK

Purist Review
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2004, 07:04 pm »
I find I like gain on some rock music, whereas Jazz and classical I usually don't.    I use gain sometimes with certain recordings, and sometimes with my Vinyl playback.  Very useful indeed.

TheChairGuy

Purist Review
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2004, 07:33 pm »
First gain setting (6db?) for me here on my current set-up...0db setting waaay to soft for my tastes with CD or tuner.

It's a great idea Curt hit upon..I'd have been truly dissapointed with this preamp if it was 0db gain (non-selectable) and would've not enjoyed it near enough at 9db gain.

I'm getting a new amp soon (with higher gain, and wattage, than current), so 0db might just be the ticket full time then.  What's great is that it fits all sizes outta' the box...for only $665.00.

Niiiiice. :thumb:

Curt

Purist Review
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2004, 08:31 pm »
Hi RonK, thanks for sharing your Purist audition thoughts with us. It was a good read. I always like to hear what differences our gear makes.

And the rest of you guys, interesting discussion on the various ways you use your gain controls. I also change my gain for different music programs and/or when I change equipment. It can make a subtle but interesting difference. Turned up, on my current system, rimshots are startling.

Enjoy :D