Squeezebox Server Issue: Help Needed

JEaton

Re: Squeezebox Server Issue: Help Needed
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jan 2013, 05:29 am »
I'm using the same router with my laptop and the squeezebox works.
I connected it via ethernet last night and it made no difference.

Did you actually change the type of connection of the SB3 that you think was switched to wired ethernet? At the home menu you have to hold down the left arrow on the remote to get back out to the network setup, then choose wired ethernet. Otherwise, you're probably still using the wireless connection.

gongos

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jan 2013, 05:35 am »
Did you actually change the type of connection of the SB3 that you think was switched to wired ethernet? At the home menu you have to hold down the left arrow on the remote to get back out to the network setup, then choose wired ethernet. Otherwise, you're probably still using the wireless connection.

Yes, I went back and changed the network settings to wired.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #22 on: 7 Jan 2013, 06:10 am »
I'm using the same router with my laptop and the squeezebox works.
I connected it via ethernet last night and it made no difference.

Are you saying that if you run LMS on your laptop, the players will play music ok?  If that's so, then the computer you are running it on has some kind of issue, either hardware (hard to imagine, unless it's the wireless internet connection between the server and router) or software. 

If I'm understanding you correctly, then it's time to break out the nukes on your server -- uninstall LMS, delete all the Logitech directories connected in any way with SB, and do a fresh, clean install of LMS with all non-required plugins disabled. If you are using Windows, check with the software manager and make sure nothing remotely related is still installed -- un-installers are notorious for leaving stuff there, even if the "main" program gets removed.  HP especially used to be guilty of this with their printer bloatware.

It that doesn't work -- throw the computer out the window and run LMS on your laptop... :roll:

AB

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jan 2013, 06:23 am »
I would remove LMS using Remove Programs then delete your Squeezebox files at C:\Programs\Squeezebox.

Look here for the locations for all the bits LMS loads onto your computer...

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Server_File_Locations

It might be that one or more of these files is corrupted and not getting replaced in a reinstall. I would check these locations for any of these files left behind by the remove process and manually remove them.

Then reload LMS and see what the log says.

Huh. I guess I am late by a few minutes. Do what Chrome says to do...

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #24 on: 7 Jan 2013, 06:35 am »
Only other thing that occurs to me is, did you update or change any antivirus software or settings on the server machine recently? If so, you might want to take a look at this info:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13960/section/troubleshoot/crid/409/lt_product_id/5745/tabs/1,3,2,4,5/cl/us,en

gongos

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jan 2013, 05:06 am »
Are you saying that if you run LMS on your laptop, the players will play music ok?  If that's so, then the computer you are running it on has some kind of issue, either hardware (hard to imagine, unless it's the wireless internet connection between the server and router) or software. 

If I'm understanding you correctly, then it's time to break out the nukes on your server -- uninstall LMS, delete all the Logitech directories connected in any way with SB, and do a fresh, clean install of LMS with all non-required plugins disabled. If you are using Windows, check with the software manager and make sure nothing remotely related is still installed -- un-installers are notorious for leaving stuff there, even if the "main" program gets removed.  HP especially used to be guilty of this with their printer bloatware.

It that doesn't work -- throw the computer out the window and run LMS on your laptop... :roll:

To bad it's a new computer. The frustrating thing is the server has been working for months with no issues.

JEaton

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jan 2013, 05:34 am »
Obviously, something has changed. If you can with certainty rule out the network, then it must be at the server.

Anti-virus is one of  the most disruptive things on a server trying to perform time sensitive tasks. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently turn on Windows built-in antivirus software?

What version of Windows are you running?

What version of the Squeezebox server software are you running?

What are the hardware specs of the server?

Is the server running any other programs or performing any other tasks?

Have you disabled all LMS/Squeezebox Server plugins, as advised?

Do you have the players unsynched? This is important. The wired SB3 won't play any better if it's synched with a wireless player and you're having wifi problems. If there are dropouts, they'll both stutter as the software resynchs the audio stream.

gongos

« Reply #27 on: 8 Jan 2013, 06:36 am »
Obviously, something has changed. If you can with certainty rule out the network, then it must be at the server.

Anti-virus is one of  the most disruptive things on a server trying to perform time sensitive tasks. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently turn on Windows built-in antivirus software?

Not sure if they're synced, how would I unsync them?

Do you have the players unsynched? This is important. The wired SB3 won't play any better if it's synched with a wireless player and you're having wifi problems. If there are dropouts, they'll both stutter as the software resynchs the audio stream.

gongos

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jan 2013, 06:40 am »

Not sure if they're synced or not. How would I check?
Using windows 7 64 bit.
If I turned on windows antivirus, it was totally unintentional, but I don't see anything like that on my computer.
I had the latest version of LMS installed. 7.2.2 I think.
The server is just my PC. I'm not doing anything different on it.

I did install the PS3 media server. Could this be a problem?

I deleted all the sb files and will reinstall tomorrow.

AB

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jan 2013, 07:36 pm »
To bad it's a new computer. The frustrating thing is the server has been working for months with no issues.

I had been running fine for months and months until Friday. Then my seemingly perfectly stable SBS started randomly connecting and disconnecting every few seconds from the 2 Touches I have.

I checked the log and saw a bunch of errors and started "fixing" things - actually I was simply "changing" things and hoping there would be a fix in there. In the end, it was a simple restart of the SBS that sorted it.

So it does happen.

gongos

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jan 2013, 05:17 am »
Here's the latest update. Wiped everything out and did a reinstall. Here's what the new log reports:

[13-01-06 19:48:37.4569] main::init (354) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.7.2, r33893, Wed Mar 14 05:47:42 PDT 2012) perl 5.014001
[13-01-06 19:48:37.8247] Slim::Utils::SQLiteHelper::postConnect (359) Optimizing DB because of missing or empty sqlite_stat1 table
[13-01-06 19:48:37.8438] Slim::Schema::init (162) Warning: Creating new database - empty, outdated or invalid database found
[13-01-06 19:48:48.4394] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::initPlugin (268) Can't connect to port 10002 - MusicIP disabled.
[13-01-06 19:48:48.8886] main::checkDataSource (1072) Warning: Schema updated or no media found in the database, initiating scan.
[13-01-06 20:39:49.4873] main::init (354) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.7.2, r33893, Wed Mar 14 05:47:42 PDT 2012) perl 5.014001
[13-01-06 20:42:01.6120] Slim::Plugin::Extensions::Settings::handler (33) attempt to set params with band random number - ignoring
[13-01-06 20:42:29.6405] main::init (354) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.7.2, r33893, Wed Mar 14 05:47:42 PDT 2012) perl 5.014001
[13-01-06 21:16:57.9844] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (443) request not dispatchable!
[13-01-06 21:17:07.9937] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (443) request not dispatchable!
[13-01-06 21:17:18.0147] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (443) request not dispatchable!
[13-01-06 21:37:08.5649] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (147) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_read_body: illegal file descriptor or filehandle (either no attached file descriptor or illegal value):  at /<C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~3.EXE>Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 150.
; fh=Slim::Networking::Async::Socket::HTTP=GLOB(0xa1a9b14)
[13-01-07 20:54:28.0466] main::init (354) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.7.2, r33893, Wed Mar 14 05:47:42 PDT 2012) perl 5.014001
[13-01-07 20:54:29.0918] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1869) Request in error, returning
[13-01-09 20:48:36.8195] main::init (354) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.7.2, r33893, Wed Mar 14 05:47:42 PDT 2012) perl 5.014001
[13-01-09 20:48:47.6616] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::initPlugin (268) Can't connect to port 10002 - MusicIP disabled.
[13-01-09 21:07:37.9498] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (147) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_read_body: illegal file descriptor or filehandle (either no attached file descriptor or illegal value):  at /<C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~3.EXE>Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 150.
; fh=Slim::Networking::Async::Socket::HTTP=GLOB(0x92a117c)

Guess what? It's still not working and I'm about ready to throw them in the trash. The server works on the laptop still, but not with my PC, and I have no clue why. So it looks like I'll be connecting my music to my laptop, which is a less than ideal solution. But spending more time with this glitchy ass software sounds like hell.

I do appreciate all the help though. Maybe they'll just magically working again since that sounds like the most common solution.

AB

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jan 2013, 06:01 am »
Bah. The only thing I can think to do now is to try an older version of Squeezebox Server.

Here are all the older versions...

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/

Do the remove everything LMS related then Try SBS 7.6.1 and see what happens.

JEaton

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jan 2013, 12:41 am »
Where are your music files located? Are they on a hard drive directly connected to the Squeezebox server?

gongos

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:19 am »
The files are on an external hard drive connected to the computer.

JEaton

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:23 am »
Your whole library is indexed correctly? Nothing is missing?

What do the log entries look like when you actually attempt to play one of the files?

gongos

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jan 2013, 04:39 am »
Your whole library is indexed correctly? Nothing is missing?

What do the log entries look like when you actually attempt to play one of the files?

Here's the log entries when I tried to play a file:

[13-01-10 18:29:33.0039] Slim::Utils::Timers::__ANON__ (273) Error: Timer Slim::Plugin::UPnP::Events::expire failed:
[13-01-10 18:29:33.0044] Slim::Utils::Timers::__ANON__ (273) Error: Timer Slim::Plugin::UPnP::Events::expire failed: Can't call method "pluginData" on an undefined value at C:/PROGRA~2/SQUEEZ~1/server/Slim/Plugin/UPnP/MediaRenderer/AVTransport.pm line 216.

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #36 on: 11 Jan 2013, 04:43 am »
Here's the log entries when I tried to play a file:

[13-01-10 18:29:33.0039] Slim::Utils::Timers::__ANON__ (273) Error: Timer Slim::Plugin::UPnP::Events::expire failed:
[13-01-10 18:29:33.0044] Slim::Utils::Timers::__ANON__ (273) Error: Timer Slim::Plugin::UPnP::Events::expire failed: Can't call method "pluginData" on an undefined value at C:/PROGRA~2/SQUEEZ~1/server/Slim/Plugin/UPnP/MediaRenderer/AVTransport.pm line 216.

You keep seeing various error related to plug-ins -- have you tried disabling ALL of them?  If not, do that, then rescan the music files again, and see what happens.

Oh, yes, keep forgetting to mention -- start with only ONE of your players turned on.  If you can get that one to work, then add the rest one at a time.

You might also revert to an earlier version of LMS and see if that helps -- I'm running 7.6.0 and it's rock solid.  I see no reason to update it at this point.

JEaton

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jan 2013, 04:47 am »
You keep seeing various error related to plug-ins -- have you tried disabling ALL of them?  If not, do that, then rescan the music files again, and see what happens.

I think we've both been saying that.

Don't forget to restart LMS server after disabling (or enabling) any plugins. If the library was scanned correctly, there's no need to rescan the library.

jakepunk

« Reply #38 on: 11 Jan 2013, 01:07 pm »
1. What version of Windows is running on your laptop, the one where LMS works?
2. Was this problem coincident with any new devices present in your home, like a new mobile phone, laptop, bluray player, etc?

gongos

« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:34 pm »
All or most of that is standard when there's no database to found and a new one is created at startup. I think the MusicIP error logged may also be standard if MusicIP isn't configured correctly.

I agree, though, with the suggestion:

-- Disable all installed third party plugins.

-- Disable all unused standard plugins.

Restart the server, then do a new "clear library and rescan everything" and try again.

I wiped everything out again and installed an older version of the server. And...

It works!

Thanks for the help.

I do have one more strange issue. I cannot edit my id tags. I make the changes and click ok, but the changes won't stay. Any idea why I can't save the changes?