Favorite Music related movies?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 23 Jun 2004, 01:33 am »
Just curious.  There's a lot of really good flicks either about music or with music being a central element.

My favorites, and these aren't really meant to be in order:

1.  This Is Spinal Tap-  A true classic!  This movie is just as "wet-your-pants-funny" to me today as the first time I saw it.  The actors & director actually wrote and performed the music, and although it's a parody, I liked the music enough to buy both Spinal Tap CDs and repurchase the remasters.  I highly recommend the movie and the CDs- it's great stuff!

2.  The Committments-  Even if you're not a fan of soul music, this movie is tremendously well written and acted.  Almost all of the music is actually performed by the actors, and they've actually continued to tour as the Committments to this day (although not the entire cast).  The music is good and the story compelling.

3.  High Fidelity-  While it isn't strictly about music, the movie is dead-on in it's portrayal of compulsive music geeks.  Jack Black, particulary, is a genius, and the whole movie crackles with energy.  Doesn't hurt that there's a bit of Rob Gordon in many of us, either!

Guilty Pleasure Pick:  

4.  Rock Star-  I know this one makes a lot of people cringe, but I was totally pulled in to the [uncredited] story of Ripper Owen.  Jennifer Aniston is hot in that netting-dress, Walhberg is likeable & enthusiastic, and it's fun to see Pilson, Bonham & Wylde as his band.  Despite the crappy reviews this is a really fun flick, IMOHO.

Any music flicks you guys are fond of?

bob82274

« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2004, 01:46 am »
High Fidelity was/is one of my favorites.  I even used it in a paper (about audio) once.  Another one of my favs is Almost Famous.  Cameron Crowe knows how to pick his music (I like the music from his other movies as well).  And while his movies are not about music, Tarintino's movies certainly have become famous for it.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2004, 02:00 am »
High Fidelity is probably my all time favorite movie.

The Wall

Amadeus

The Piano

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2004, 02:48 am »
Amadeus was one of my all-time favorites.  Spinal Tap as well.

A few others that came to mind (in no particular order):

Feature Films:
Almost Famous
Crossroads (yes, with Ralph Macchio!  And Steve Vai...)
A Hard Day's Night
'Round Midnight (starring Dexter Gordon)
The Blues Brothers

Documentaries:
Buena Vista Social Club (Ry Cooder in Cuba)
From Mao to Mozart (Isaac Stern in China)

spudco

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2004, 02:48 am »
"American Pop" is great animation telling the story of music in the USA.

"All That Jazz"

"Magnolia"

"Koyaanisqatsi"

"Nashville"

"School Daze"

"Baraka"

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2004, 03:02 am »
Ooops, forgot Amadeus!  :oops:   Yeah, it's a masterpeice.

conorj

Re: Favorite Music related movies?
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2004, 04:29 am »
The Red Violin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2004, 05:52 am »
One that wasn't mentioned , "Hilary and Jackie" , music by Jacqueline du Pre', cello. :angel:

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2004, 12:12 pm »
Quote from: bob82274
Another one of my favs is Almost Famous.  Cameron Crowe knows how to pick his music (I like the music from his other movies as well)

If I remember correctly the music choices for ALMOST FAMOUS are attributed to his wife NancyW  :guitar:

Also in the movie a number of songs that the band plays, particularly 'Feverdog' sound IMHO alot like Wishbone Ash

lcrim

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2004, 02:58 pm »
If you have never seen "Calle 54" you are missing one of, if not the finest music documentary films ever crafted.  While the film concerns itself with Latin jazz, it simply rises to another level.  It is about beauty and art and passion.  I simply cannot recommend it highly enough.  If you are a music lover you owe it to yourself to see this DVD.

PhilNYC

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2004, 03:10 pm »
Quote from: lcrim
If you have never seen "Calle 54" you are missing one of, if not the finest music documentary films ever crafted.  While the film concerns itself with Latin jazz, it simply rises to another level.  It is about beauty and art and passion.  I simply cannot recommend it highly enough.  If you are a music lover you owe it to yourself to see this DVD.

I've not seen the film, but I have the fabulous soundtrack.  Parts of it will challenge the dynamic performance of any system, too...!

Carlman

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2004, 03:15 pm »
I really liked:
'Fear of a Black Hat' Rap documentary
'Fame'  I want to live forever. :)

-C

Digi-G

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2004, 07:03 pm »
High Fidelity - great movie.  I liked the deleted scene with Beverly DiAngelo where she is trying to give away her cheating husband's cherished collection of mint 45's.  This scene should have stayed in the movie.

Magnolia - gotta luv Aimee Mann - that part in the movie where the actors are singing along with "Save Me' (i think that's the song) I really liked.

Mr. Deeds - not sure why, but I'm a sucker for the music in this.  (and I still laugh every time I see it).

Concert for George (Harrison) - been in heavy rotation for me lately.  Great performances and sonics.  Paul McC and Eric C's version of Something worth the price alone (esp. when you consider the irony of the George-Patti-Eric triangle).

PhilNYC

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2004, 07:12 pm »
If anyone is into Hong Kong flicks, "Infernal Affairs" isn't a music movie (it's an undercover cop thriller), but the main characters are audiophiles, and there's actually a scene where one of them swaps out a set of interconnects, and the other one says "you're right, it sounds much better"...!

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/infernal_affairs.htm

Carlman

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2004, 07:29 pm »
Hmmm... much different than the 'Internal Affairs' of the U.S.:

No audiophiles in this movie....  :lol:

Jon L

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2004, 08:14 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
If anyone is into Hong Kong flicks, "Infernal Affairs" isn't a music movie (it's an undercover cop thriller), but the main characters are audiophiles, and there's actually a scene where one of them swaps out a set of interconnects, and the other one says "you're right, it sounds much better"...!

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/infernal_affairs.htm

I loved both "Internal Affairs I" and "II."  The latter is actually a pre-quel.  Both movies are great, and of course I was tickled by the scenes with pretty tube gear and nice monitor speakers.  The female vocal piece they kept playing on the tube gear was quite haunting, I thought.  Anyone know who/where to get this song?