The Guitar Thread

Rclark

Re: The Guitar Thread
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:21 am »
Hmmm. I always wondered what that door was foor. I though it was maybe for removing the nut. I'll just see how she plays first before I start playing guitar tech  :green:

Rclark

« Reply #41 on: 2 Jan 2013, 02:44 am »
Seems to be staying in tune now after several retunings.. Seems to hold tune better than the old strings.

medium jim

« Reply #42 on: 2 Jan 2013, 03:22 am »
New Strings will initially stay in tune better....a little trick, after initially restringing, grab each string indiviually from the 12th fret and stretch them by lifting them up several times and retune....do this to each string.  This will get any slack out of them. 

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 2 Jan 2013, 03:25 am »
I did that as I.was putting them on. Yeah it seems to he holding a solid tune. I think this guitar was set up for 9's initially as it was previously owned by a petite girl who bought it at 16. Lol.

I'm liking it though! Bends are sweet and playing dawn of the chordead I'm much faster and my chords sound much sweeter than they did before when I was muscling those fat strings. Think this will help a lot. Sounds real pretty, no complaints.

Rclark

« Reply #44 on: 2 Jan 2013, 03:55 am »
Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth is so fun to learn! I am having a freaking blast.  :thumb: :green: :lol:
Did my workout stuff before getting into songs. I am hooked. Just 15 more days of this and I have a solid guitar playing habit.

Done playing for the day, I'm going to begin studying this guy's apparently pretty good, FREE, music theory course to boost what Rocksmith version 1 doesn't have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gHEIF0rT2w&list=SPB585CE43B02669C3&index=1

He also has a free piano course, that might be fun. Get a little keyboard.

Rclark

« Reply #45 on: 2 Jan 2013, 05:38 am »

Can anyone explain why the notes below and above the ledger lines on the Grand Staff are A C E? Why not just a continuation of A B C D E F G?

A B C D E F G... and A B C follows in the ledger line above the treble clef, for example? Why A C E? The Bass and Treble clef's mesh together in a double A B C D E F G, but then you get A C E before and after and I don't get it.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #46 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:01 pm »
Can anyone explain why the notes below and above the ledger lines on the Grand Staff are A C E? Why not just a continuation of A B C D E F G?

A B C D E F G... and A B C follows in the ledger line above the treble clef, for example? Why A C E? The Bass and Treble clef's mesh together in a double A B C D E F G, but then you get A C E before and after and I don't get it.

The notes do continue on as before; ABCDEFG etc.  Are you sure you're counting the spaces between the ledger lines (BDF etc)?

medium jim

« Reply #47 on: 2 Jan 2013, 04:27 pm »
The notes do continue on as before; ABCDEFG etc.  Are you sure you're counting the spaces between the ledger lines (BDF etc)?

+1

Jim

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 2 Jan 2013, 04:32 pm »
A way to remember the scale is:

Every Good Boy Does Fine

and

FACE

medium jim

« Reply #49 on: 2 Jan 2013, 05:27 pm »

Every Good Boy Does Fine

and

FACE

Wait until he gets into different scales and you need to ID them by how many #'s or b's there are!

Jim

Ericus Rex

« Reply #50 on: 2 Jan 2013, 05:51 pm »

Every Good Boy Does Fine

and

FACE

Or the Moody Blues album ' Every good boy deserves favor.'

Bass staff is "All Cows Eat Grass" for spaces and "Great Big Dogs Fight Animals" for lines.  Do guitarists read bass staff?

medium jim

« Reply #51 on: 2 Jan 2013, 05:57 pm »
Or the Moody Blues album ' Every good boy deserves favor.'

Bass staff is "All Cows Eat Grass" for spaces and "Great Big Dogs Fight Animals" for lines.  Do guitarists read bass staff?

I don't, I just figure out the chord changes and go from there.  If there is an intro like on Money or what have you, then you need to.

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #52 on: 2 Jan 2013, 06:18 pm »
I got the A C E thing from lesson two here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=TxBUnvrexhA

medium jim

« Reply #53 on: 2 Jan 2013, 07:02 pm »
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2013, 08:07 pm by medium jim »

Rclark

« Reply #54 on: 2 Jan 2013, 08:54 pm »
Go with the flow by Queens of the Stone Age is a hell of a pick workout. Any of you play that punk rock type stuff? It hurts!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #55 on: 2 Jan 2013, 09:59 pm »
I got the A C E thing from lesson two here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=TxBUnvrexhA

I'll take a look tonight and see if I can figure this out for you.

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #56 on: 2 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm »
If it keeps up I'm deleting the thread.....too bad actually its the first time I have ever had to bother you folks. Sorry all.

Rclark

« Reply #57 on: 2 Jan 2013, 10:17 pm »
I'll take a look tonight and see if I can figure this out for you.

I appreciate it. Thanks!

medium jim

« Reply #58 on: 2 Jan 2013, 10:27 pm »
If it keeps up I'm deleting the thread.....too bad actually its the first time I have ever had to bother you folks. Sorry all.

Thank you, nobody likes being called a Nazi or that he's high...or that his behavior is passive aggressive. 

Jim

jackman

« Reply #59 on: 2 Jan 2013, 11:11 pm »
Hi Guys,

Cool thread, I'll happily delete my post if I'm too far off topic.  I've been playing "unplugged" on my '97 Martin D18V all week (it's a D18VR because they didn't make a V in '97), after putting on a new set of strings.  The Martin sounds best with medium strings and I never go higher than Mediums or Lights on my acoustic (Gore Elixir's in my case) because heavy strings are not good for an acoustic with light bracing.  The Martin sings with such sweet tone, it makes me want to be a better player.  Anyone looking for a great sounding acoustic should check out the new 2012 D18.  It has been re-designed for 2012 with ebony bridge, bone saddle and nut, open back tuners, and light, scalloped "vintage" bracing.  Very similar to the more expensive V model but with a 1.75" nut (versus the 1 11/16's nut on the older model).  It doesn't have the V neck of the 18V but the new neck is comfortable and very nice. 

Even though I've had my disagreements with Med Jim in the past (we are friends now), I've got a lot of respect for Jim's knowledge of all things guitar.  Jim, your collection is very impressive.  I used to play at a local shop (ten or twelve years ago) and when everyone left, my friend and former teacher would crank up one of the many 50's era tweed amps in the shop.  The sound of a 50's era Stratocaster or Tele played through a dimed beat up '51 or '52 Bassman, is one of the sweetest sounds I have ever heard.  The shop always had a couple 50's era tweed amps laying around and although they looked like they went through the war, the sound was pure magic. 

A local company (Victoria Amp Company) makes exact replicas using carbon resistors and custom trannies, baltic birch cabinets, etc., and I sincerely regret selling my little 20110 tweed amp.  I've played several SS modeling amps through the years and have yet to find anything that can touch the sound of overdriven Fender Tweed tube amps (the real hard-wired ones from the 50's, not the newer Fender versions).  Mark Baer of Victoria fell in love with the tweed sound and has devoted his life to keeping it alive with his Victoria amps, hand made right here in Naperville, IL.   If you can't live with the high SPL's of an overdriven tube amp, they make versions with built in attenuators. 

Here is a video of one of my favorite combos, a P90 guitar (with Jason Lollar PU's) and a creamy Victoria Silver Sonic amp.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URl7RlddH3s

Regarding electric guitar strings, I like 9's on Fender guitars (long scale guitars at least) and 10's on Gibson style, short scale guitars.  Light guage are easier to play but it's hard to get low action without buzz on a Gibby scale with super light guage strings.  It also seems like my guitars stay in tune better with heavier guage strings.  If you are a new player, I'd recommend using at least 9's or 10's to toughen up your fingers.  Guys like Jeff Beck and Billie Gibbons can play with anything and make it sound great.  They are rare birds with skills the rest of us can only dream of.  Also, most modern guitars (at least the ones I own) have medium jumbo frets which are much more comfortable than the barbed wire most older guitars used to use.  Heavier guage strings will give you fatter tone and better sound, IMO. 

Lastly, if your fingers bleed or hurt badly from too much playing, just put some crazy glue on your fingertips and you will be good to go! 

Cheers,

Jack