Re: The Guitar Thread
« Reply #142 on: 18 Jan 2013, 03:08 pm »
Alvin Lee, the man with the fast hands!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #143 on: 18 Jan 2013, 03:41 pm »
...So last night my middle fret finger nearly started bleeding from not being used to barring so much. I had to stop, but I'm certain I'll nail it tonight. I have every part of the song down, I even make the tremelo'd notes sound like the album.

That said, as a brand new guitar student, and now knowing I can comfortably play any punk rock song that comes along, it's a little dissappointing how simple they are to play now that I'm at that level. It's like finding out Santa isn't real. But on the same token, it shows that songwriting, and delivery are paramount. All the technical noodling in the world does not a great song make...

I'll also add that playing a song is just the beginning.  No matter how many hours you spend playing you always learn something new and exciting. 

OTOH, I got to play with a new Gibson Les Paul Standard yesterday.  It's pretty awesome.  Heavy at 9.2 lbs but really really nice.  It's amazing what some science has done with them.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #144 on: 18 Jan 2013, 03:50 pm »
Did the Les Paul have the new MinETune system with the robot tuners?  That looks interesting from the tech side.

medium jim

« Reply #145 on: 18 Jan 2013, 04:42 pm »
I'll also add that playing a song is just the beginning.  No matter how many hours you spend playing you always learn something new and exciting. 

OTOH, I got to play with a new Gibson Les Paul Standard yesterday.  It's pretty awesome.  Heavy at 9.2 lbs but really really nice.  It's amazing what some science has done with them.

Yeah, like learning how to  tune by ear, sure helps when setting up a stereo...it is a skill that you can learn, or maybe you have perfect pitch (I'm damn close) :thumb:  Where it really helps is when trying to learn a new song as you can pick out the notes rather easy, as well as the chord changes.

Jim

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #146 on: 19 Jan 2013, 11:56 am »
Did the Les Paul have the new MinETune system with the robot tuners?  That looks interesting from the tech side.
No

Rclark

« Reply #147 on: 20 Jan 2013, 06:40 am »
.. Is it possible to overpractice?

I'm putting in a lot of time with the guitar, and I'm happy that's the case, I'd hoped to like it this much, but.. Can one play too much? I'm never getting any pain or anything, but I play until my hands get exhausted and then I just plow through that and try harder (it's almost fun when they get tired though). Of course, I stop when it gives out, and break, but I find myself getting antsy doing anything else and eventually end up back in here with the guitar on. I'd play all day if I could, I'm convinced of that, at least it feels that way now.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #148 on: 20 Jan 2013, 02:35 pm »
Be sure you warm up really well before you play all day.  Otherwise, you're flirting with tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrone.  I would also say you shouldn't just play through the pain.  Your body is telling you to take a break when the pain starts.  Proper warm-up will prolong your practice time before pain.  I went to a master class with Steve Morse and he mentioned that he usually spends about an hour a day in warm-up exercises    :o

Rclark

« Reply #149 on: 20 Jan 2013, 07:08 pm »
Damn. Nobody ever told me about this stuff. There's always a catch.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #150 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:13 pm »
I just learned something: Neal Young's "Old Blackie" is actually a poorly painted Gold Top which has a P90 on the neck and a Firebird pickup on the bridge plus he's got a switch to bypass all of the caps and pots and send the signal straight to the amp.
That explains the distinctive sound he gets when he's flailing away at it.

On the subject of guitar mods, I always like Zappa's idea of putting a Barcus Berry into the fretboard.  He was a clever guy.

Alvin Lee is one of the most under rated guitarists in rock and roll.  I saw him play in the early 80s and he was just so impressive to watch.  He just made it look effortless on that big 335.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #151 on: 10 May 2013, 02:04 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #152 on: 10 May 2013, 02:44 am »
Be sure you warm up really well before you play all day.  Otherwise, you're flirting with tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrone.  I would also say you shouldn't just play through the pain.  Your body is telling you to take a break when the pain starts.  Proper warm-up will prolong your practice time before pain.  I went to a master class with Steve Morse and he mentioned that he usually spends about an hour a day in warm-up exercises    :o
There is some Vitamins suited to beefup tendons but I unaware which.
When I took the Sunvite multi vitamin I felt a lot strength on hands.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #153 on: 10 May 2013, 02:51 am »
Frank Zappa Roxy SG.
It's about time!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Frank-Zappa-Roxy-SG.aspx
This is the guitar from Watermelon in Easter Hay recorded in the Joe Garage CD??

Frank giving a smoke in Steve Vai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEnzdp71U78

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #154 on: 10 May 2013, 10:22 pm »
Here's the Roxy one in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnDqHppWS_Q

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #155 on: 8 Dec 2013, 03:28 pm »
If you have a satin finish Gibson I can recommend Mother's California Gold carnauba paste wax.
It has a mild cleanser and really brings out a nice glow to the finish.
I'll have to try that on my Guild acoustic and see what that does to the old girl.

Tried the Guild - cleaned it up some but nothing like what it did with the Satin ES-335.
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2013, 09:32 pm by SteveFord »

gnuyork

« Reply #156 on: 8 Dec 2013, 04:14 pm »
Hello, new member here.

I already found the guitar thread, lol.

my beauties:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #157 on: 8 Dec 2013, 09:30 pm »
gnuyork,
That gold top must rip through the half stack.
Your particular model is on my bucket list as that is THE one to get.
I've only been procrastinating for 32 years...

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #158 on: 10 Dec 2013, 11:47 pm »
Nice looking gear there gnuyork.  That Strat looks tasty with that Clark Tweed and that P-Bass!! Would like some detailed info on the guitars as well as that beautiful Gretsch kit.

I love your 335 Steve! I always wanted an red 335 like Alvin's. Back in 71' I traded my Polaris White SG Jr. that I bought new in '66 for a new Japanese Epiphone EA 250 in red. I couldn't afford a real 335. A poor trade on my part. I want my SG Jr. back!!! :duh:

I'll have to post some of my left handed goodness here. 

spence

« Reply #159 on: 11 Dec 2013, 12:00 am »
I like Gold too!

And a good ole' bird