Dehavilland Ultraverve 3

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Dehavilland Ultraverve 3
« Reply #20 on: 24 Feb 2013, 11:55 pm »
Kara hooked you up.
From what I tried, the 6SN7 RCA with the orange lettering was the best of the bunch to my ears with the silver lettering RCAs, smoked glass RCA, Admiral and Sylvania running in a dead heat right behind them.
I was lent some Tung Sols but I think they were old beaters as they did not live up to their reputation.

I just got a laugh: I was rooting through my 6SN7 collection and one box is marked "Secret Weapon".
That was my best tube until I got my second best one done by cryogenics.

marjrho

« Reply #21 on: 24 Feb 2013, 11:59 pm »
Have you tried the Sophia electric 6sn7>  People speak highly of them.  I think Im going to try one.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2013, 12:01 am »
No, I have not.
Give it a shot!

carusoracer

« Reply #23 on: 28 Feb 2013, 04:01 am »
Please share your impressions of the preamp once it settles in.  Congrats 8)

marjrho

« Reply #24 on: 3 Mar 2013, 07:01 pm »
I have put a few more hours on the Dehavilland mainly through my home theater for the past coupe of nights.  As I am listening to some two channel right now, it seems that the Ultraverve continues to change for the better.  Music seems to be more spread out, or to have a wider sound stage than before.  The highs and midrange seem to be about the same, but the bass seems to be a little fuller.  Unfortunately, I don't have any previous experience with tubes, so I can't compare.  I can only compare it to my previous SS pre, and in comparison, I like the Ultraverve better in all areas except for the bass.  The bass is solid and full with the Dehavilland, but I don't think it has quite the impact that my McIntosh c15 had.  However, even with that, overall I still much prefer the Ultraverve 3.  There really is no comparison in all other areas. 

Im using a Shunyata Venom 3 power cord, and an Audio Art IC-3 from pre to power, and they both seem to be staying out of the way of the music.

I do eventually want to try different tubes, and the first one that I will most likely go for is the Sophia Electric 6sn7.

I previously erred in my description of the 6sn7 tube that came with the pre.  Its not RCA, its a Sylvania Chrome top.

Regarding the rest of the tubes, how much impact do they have on the sound.  I understand the rectifier tube can make a difference, but I have not read anything about the two 6ah4gt's.

That's it for now.  I will report back with more listening impressions as time goes on, and certainly when I start tube rolling, which brings me to a side question. All of the tubes are seated firmly in their sockets and emit a nice glow when the amp is on, all except the rectifier tube.  When I initially installed the tubes, the only tube that seemed to not sit correctly was the 5aw4.  It goes into the socket, and I believe I have pushed it down as far as it can go, however it has a little room and can rock to the left.  I cannot do this with any of the other tubes.  Also, when the amp is on, it does not light up.  I checked the tube and its on because it gets hot.

Is this normal, or should I be forcing this tube down some more? I don't want to break anything, or break the glass in my hand by using too much force.

Thanks

rockadanny

« Reply #25 on: 3 Mar 2013, 07:52 pm »
Nice! I've got a Mapletree Audio 2A/SE Linestage I've NOSed up, but would love to hear an Ultraverve in comparison. Congrats!  :thumb:

Emil

« Reply #26 on: 3 Mar 2013, 08:32 pm »
With the Dehav, warm up really makes a difference. More than any component I've ever owned.
A good hour should do it IMHO

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 3 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm »
The 5AW4 is supposed to light up - take it out, give it a good tap and reseat it.
Mine was doing that for some weird reason when I first got it, I have no idea why.
If you're bored, try an orange lettered 6SN7 RCA - they're certainly cheap enough.
I haven't read anything about any of the other tubes making any sort of a difference.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 13 Mar 2013, 01:15 am »
FWIW, I had to replace a 6AH4GT so went with Sylvanias. 
I can't say for sure how much it changed the sound but I like what I'm hearing.

medium jim

« Reply #29 on: 13 Mar 2013, 01:26 am »
Steve:

Glad to hear that your main rig is up and rocking again!

Jim

marjrho

« Reply #30 on: 13 Mar 2013, 01:02 pm »
Update: I don't know if its because I've put more hours on the Ultraverve, or whether the Herbie's tenderfoot's, or the new power cords have anything to do with it, but without even paying attention last night, I noticed a difference, no, an improvement in the sound.  I can only describe it as fuller, a little more robust. The sound seems to be a little cleaner, or tighter, or maybe both.  Kind of hard to put into words, but I am clearly impressed with what I'm hearing.

Regarding the tweeks, specifically, I put Herbie's tenderfoot under the Ultraverve and my cd player, and I added two wireworld Aurora 7 power cords to my power amps.

Whatever it is, I'm sure the Ultraverve is what's having the most impact on my system, and I could not be happier.  :D

carusoracer

« Reply #31 on: 14 Mar 2013, 03:36 pm »
Great to hear that you are enjoying the Preamp.  I would like to hear specifically what the Tenderfeet brought out in the PreAmp?

I'm new to the Pre myself and can start another thread or tie in with this one?

I have a big question regarding the 6AH4GT Tubes....mine are Sylvania's, unknown vintage. I think there are other variants out there or perhaps some new tubes that might change the sound. I'm also looking at the Rectifier. In my Minimax sourcing a good Rectifier, really took it to another level. Of course it was an extremely rare U707 :o

This piece has a completely different presentation, I can't put my finger on it after initial impressions, and want to dial it in as you are experiencing, but so far it looks to be a promising match. 

marjrho

« Reply #32 on: 14 Mar 2013, 04:14 pm »
Thanks, I am loving the sound of my system.  To be honest, I don't know how much of an impact the tenderfoot products are having on the pre, as I installed them under my cd player at the same time.  What I will say is that while I was doing some work on my computer with the music on, I stopped what I was doing because I heard something in my system that I had not previously experienced.  The sound was more rich and full.  My system was not noisy to begin with, but I think the addition of the tenderfoots probably eliminated some noise generated from vibration, which could probably be attributed or limited to my cd player.  I just don't know.

But I will say this, the more I listen to my system, I know that the de Havilland is the most responsible for my system's dramatic improvement.  I have no experience with other tube preamps, so I can't compare, but in comparison to my other pre's, all solid state, the Ultraverve 3 just destroys all of them in almost every single aspect of sound that you can thing of, with the minor exception of bass depth.  But even there, the de Havilland is quite formidable.

I'm about to purchase a Sophia Electric 6sn7, as I have heard good things about it, and I am researching different rectifier tubes.  In speaking with George the K, co-founder of de Havilland, he suggested that rolling the 6sn7 and the rectifier tubes will have the most effect on the sound of he Ultraverve.  So I probably won't bother with the 6ah4 unless they go bad.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 14 Mar 2013, 08:53 pm »
Did he make a recommendation for the 5AW4?

marjrho

« Reply #34 on: 15 Mar 2013, 02:33 am »
I didn't ask him about the 5aw4, but i will reach out to him and see what he says.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 15 Mar 2013, 09:25 pm »
I couldn't stand the wait so I ordered some Philco 5AW4s - they're certainly cheap enough.
I wonder who the manufacturer is, does anyone know?
If nothing else I can compare a Philco to a Westinghouse and see if there's any difference in the sound.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #36 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:14 am »
I couldn't stand the wait so I ordered some Philco 5AW4s - they're certainly cheap enough.
I wonder who the manufacturer is, does anyone know?
If nothing else I can compare a Philco to a Westinghouse and see if there's any difference in the sound.

I have some Philco 9pins that are Sylvanias.

Freo-1

« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:43 am »
The BEST 6SN7 (IMHO) is the RCA Red Base 5692's.  I have a pair, and they are a cut above anything else.  The next best option I have run across is the Sylvania 5692 tube.  Have not tried the CBS 5692, but have heard good things about that tube.

There is some buzz about the Russian metal based 6N8S from the 50's as well.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #38 on: 16 Mar 2013, 01:14 am »
With the Dehav, warm up really makes a difference. More than any component I've ever owned.
A good hour should do it IMHO
Emil, your avatar is the coolest.  Wish I could try a De Hav at home.

carusoracer

« Reply #39 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:31 am »
Well after quite a few sessions playing with the chassis isolation, tube rolling, Powercord swaps, I'm close but just not quite there yet. In my rig things tend to shade to the warm side of the spectrum pretty quickly without noticing how it got there.

Nice Preamp with big soundstage and great tone. Will have to keep sorting thru the permutations. I like the Black Treasure CV 181 Z the best so far. Although the Create Synergy is right behind it, nice tube. I Can't  compare directly to others  because my preamp has Mundorf Silver Oll inside.    :D

One thing I have noticed is that I have yet to feel the need to break out the Audiophile grade cuts. This piece just begs to just play music.