All Apple devices under one name?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
All Apple devices under one name?
« on: 25 Dec 2012, 04:31 pm »
I have my Mac Mini & iPad under my account.  The question is should I put my wifes iPad Mini & iPhone under mine too or start her own account?  Does it matter?  Please tell me what's best. 

MaxCast

Re: All Apple devices under one name?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2012, 04:59 pm »
It is a bit confusing but the best is to use one account for itunes purchases so you can share apps and music.
Then have different icloud accounts for back up, contacts, syncing, etc.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2012, 05:26 pm »
OK.  What if we don't download music from iTunes?  I've never downloaded music from iTunes and wouldn't. 

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2012, 05:44 pm »
what about apps?  itunes is music, movies, books, apps anything from apple.  By using one itunes account you can share purchases, that is basically the only advantage.  You would have one account to pay for things, that may be a disadvantage it you don't want to mix $$.
I don't use a credit card for itunes, we use itunes cards.  It is my account and I keep a balance in it.  when a kid buys a song or whatever they put the money in an envelope from which I buy more itunes cards.

carusoracer

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2012, 04:10 am »
I have my Mac Mini & iPad under my account.  The question is should I put my wifes iPad Mini & iPhone under mine too or start her own account?  Does it matter?  Please tell me what's best.

I'm interested in other responses as well. I have the same dilemma. :duh:

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm »
My wife and I share the same iTunes account, but have separate icloud accounts. My kids have separate itunes (via iTunes allowance) and icloud accounts.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2012, 03:41 pm »
If you are going to use Home Sharing, that requires that each computer is logged into the same iTunes account, so that may (or may not) be another reason to use the same iTunes account.

Steve

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2012, 05:56 pm »
I use 1 account for our iTouch, iPad 2, iPhone 4s, and old Mini. 

I maybe keeper of the p/w, so all goes through me anyway. 

As the girls age it may change, but for now it works well.