Can anyone help with some Cat 5e for Oz?

Mark_Walsh

« on: 21 Jun 2004, 06:40 am »
Dear All,

Are there any Aussies who can sell me about 20 m of the Belden 1585 Cat 5e Teflon insulated cable.  I imagine that I would need about this much to run 8 strands of wire (recipe not yet decided!) from my amps to each of L speaker, R speaker, Subwoofer (about 2.5m each at most), and about 1m or so for the internal wiring of my subbie.

The local cable dealers said they would happily sell me a PALETTE of this cable!  I thought I had a chance when I asked for a REEL of it!

Anyways, any offers?  My Personal Mail section is working I think!

Regards,
Mark Walsh.

bluesky

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2004, 07:17 am »
Hi

Whilst not Australian, I can recommend Gene from Take Five Audio in Canada.  He sells Belden Cat5e by the foot at a very good price and then airmails it.  This usually only takes a week so the delay is more than reasonable I think.  That is what I do for the small quantities that I use.  I also suggest getting some of the Caig contact enhancer in the same order, very worthwhile stuff for all connections.  Gene's price for Eichmann Bullets were also better than elsewhere when I got them.

Cheers

Ian

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2004, 07:27 am »
Mark,

I sell CAT5E, still have plenty, for $3 per metre.  However, I restrict it to 5m max, as it's tough to get hold of (the States), and I use it in twisted pairs for input signal wiring.

I do not recommend using CAT5E for braided speaker cables.  Time and again I watch amplifiers go unstable on CROs with this stuff - it's highly capacitive - and if you want good speaker cables go for the Ubyte Jon Risch design (do a google...), which is both low capacitance and low inductance.  The speaker cable is a part of the output stage, and as it is external and unshielded, it is also prone to RF pickup, and this can be disastrous as it fosters cross conduction of the output devices.  This quickly leads to very high currents across the rails and subsequent escape of high pressure smoke, which as we know must be kept in the devices for them to work.    :nono:

Mal, I make no criticism of your preferences, but I do say that the engineering makes many amps, including the AKSA, unstable with more than about  5nF of capacitance cable.  In fact, I have an idea that the sound people like with braided cables is to do with the slight overshoot on musical waveforms conferred by a slightly capacitive load.  This ain't bad of itself, but it does take the amp right to the edge, and that's not a real comfortable place for it to be.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Hugh

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2004, 10:04 am »
Ahh, the chance to disagree with "The Big Man".
The U-Byte recipe is indeed a bad thing for AKSA. But 8 strand (4 positive, 4 negative) is a good thing. I have compared it to the Jon Risch cross connected 89259, and several of us preferred the CAT 5. You have to be careful on how you use it though.

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2004, 10:14 am »
Mal,

I was very careful not to disagree with your sonic preference.    :lol:

I commented only on the stability issues, and the engineering.  Far be it from me to comment on any person's sonic tastes...... :nono:

Cheers,

Hugh

Mark_Walsh

Instability with Braided cables
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2004, 12:52 am »
Dear Hugh and All,

Thank-you for your input, and Hugh, for your offer.  I put out the request in a thread because I knew of your situation as regards supply, and the fact that you have to look after you customers, amongst whom I cannot yet number myself! ("When will he ever get round to it," I hear you groan in exasperation.)

Hugh, do your comments about the high pressure smoke relate to the superfat multi-multi braided-braided cables with myriads of strands (like VH's recipes, or do they relate to the simpler 4 strand or twin 4-strand  recipes that Malcolm was espousing?  I got the impression from reading (nearly?) every post in this circle that you as the designer were not so unhappy with the much milder forms of braiding.  However, I am sure that the impressions I have built up about what I have read have a high probability of not matching the reality of what is written. (This happens to me all the time!!  :( )

Also Hugh, I know you are just using some "simple wire" wire for you speaker cables. Is it the sort of stuff I can pick up Dick Smiths or Jaycar in various sizes and flatnesses, or something a little different?

BTW Hugh, did you receive my e-mail about a visit to Melbourne and perhaps to have a wee listen?

Regards again to All,
Mark

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2004, 01:08 am »
Hi Mark
I initially made up 24 pair CAT 5 (tightly twisted). It sounded awful with an AKSA.
I untwisted all the pairs and loosely braided 16 strands. It sounded promising, but not great.
I made up 8 strand loosely braided (4 pos, 4 neg). Sounded great. That is all I have used for a couple of years. I have two friends who use the same. It beat all of their other cables.

Hope that helps.