The U-Turn Audio 'Orbit' tunrtable - $150

orthobiz

Re: The U-Turn Audio 'Orbit' tunrtable - $150
« Reply #20 on: 27 Dec 2012, 12:35 am »
OK, maybe Scott's comment was stretching a bit as pointed out by John. But I agree with Rosco that this Kickstarter program is exciting. The TT looks inexpensive but will probably not ruin records and if they are able to come in with a product, it will probably be a decent value at 150. The people buying this are not looking at whether they could get better sound per unit dollar out of a CD player but, rather, if they could get into vinyl on the cheap.

I am seriously considering supporting this project. After all, with three vinyl spinning girls who will have home stereos and college stereos, how can I go wrong???

Paul

J-Pak

« Reply #21 on: 27 Dec 2012, 07:09 pm »
Glad to see these guys were able to reach their goal. More people getting into vinyl -> :thumb:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2013, 08:39 pm »
So, what ever happened with this, for sale? 

wushuliu

« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2013, 08:55 pm »
So, what ever happened with this, for sale?

Due out in June/July. They've stepped up the material quality and are trying to meet increased demand (1000 orders) vs. original expectations. Looking good.

Updates here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0/posts

One thing I like is that one of the designers owns a high end turntable (he doesn't say which) and its the reference by which their Orbit target performance is judged. So I think they are aiming as high as they can given the materials, not just compete w/ $300 tables.

They've also given the thumbs up to matching the Orbit w/ Hagtech's Bugle 2, which is also rolling out shortly.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2013, 12:36 am »
Interesting - they say July.

Do you know the particulars?  Is that an acrylic platter?

I understand it's a unipivot.  Makes sense, inexpensive to manufacture and with big potential.  The plinth looks like a Rega.  That makes sense too, PRaT and all that. 

I have a feeling they'll be successful.  Their are lots of kids out there who like records for reasons a little different from ours, and this should fill the bill nicely.  If they really did it right, it should compete with entry level ProJect, Rega etc.  We'll probably be seeing threads on Orbit mods.
neo

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2013, 01:08 am »
An acrylic platter plus an upgraded Ortofon cart are a $100 option. Still high value in today's vinyl marketplace.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2013, 12:20 pm »
If anyone has purchased one of these and has decided they don't want it, I'd be interested in your slot.  Please PM me.

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 19 May 2013, 01:07 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I would be interested in a side by side comparison between the Uturn Orbit turntable and the Rega RP-1, Music Hall, Project and Denon entry level turntable.
Does Uturn as already started to deliver their turntable?

Guy 13