Still Trying to Buy a Classic, this time on Audiogon

williamsims

Hi, could anyone please advise whether or not this is a reasonable offer

"First model. Offered by original owner. Dealer dropped and chipped edge but chip is not loose and doesnt affect sound. Tone arm newly rewired by Joe De Phillips of Discovery Cable w/ 4 ft. of wire from rear of the arm. Manual, setup and alignment instructions, bearing silicone, record hold down, terminal block(not needed now), finger lift and applicator. Extras include Ringmat ( recommended) , acrylic smoke dust cover and terminal block (not needed now). All in excellent condition. Original arm box. 7/10 for age ONLY."  Photos are at:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-well-tempered-classic-2012-11-19-analog-29631-clemson-sc

The seller wants $950 and it's been on the market for quite some time.

Thanks to anyone who responds!

Bill

jsawyer09

Re: Still Trying to Buy a Classic, this time on Audiogon
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2012, 10:54 pm »
I'd say it is pretty reasonable, as many try to sell theirs at the above $1000 mark. Lovely 'table, indeed. The Discovery Cable re-wire is nice, too.
I tried selling mine for $650, and it was in nicer shape than this one...pretty immaculate, actually. It sat for a long time as well; even for my price. It had me stumped.

earwaxxer

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2012, 11:02 pm »
I'm not into analog any more, but IMO, spend your bucks on the cartridge, wires etc. The turntable is secondary as long as its good. I had a tangential tracker back in the day. A good table. The cart was the deal.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2012, 12:07 am »
What's that weird bit on the platter?

williamsims

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2012, 12:56 am »
Don't know -- I'll ask the seller.
Thanks, guys, for your comments.

kgturner

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2012, 12:58 am »
I believe it's a chip missing from the platter. The ad copy states "Dealer dropped and chipped edge but chip is not loose and doesnt affect sound."

Kevin T

williamsims

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2012, 03:13 am »
Yeah, Kevin, that's what I thought at first, but if you look at the far upper right of the second photo, you'll see the same black squiggle --  on the opposite side of where the indentation is.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2012, 04:36 pm »
That looks like a fingerlift for the arm. I think the chipped platter makes this a non-starter @$950. That's pretty ugly.

williamsims

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2012, 04:41 pm »
Thanks for you thoughts, Mick.  I tend to agree.  I don't mind spending the $$$ for a more up to date model. The ad suggests that the owner bought the TT in the early '90s ("first model").  I think he's unrealistic.  I'm determined to acquire a WTT but think I'll wait around for something in better shape.

Thanks to all who commented -- I really appreciate it.

jsawyer09

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2012, 06:22 pm »
Thanks for you thoughts, Mick.  I tend to agree.  I don't mind spending the $$$ for a more up to date model. The ad suggests that the owner bought the TT in the early '90s ("first model").  I think he's unrealistic.  I'm determined to acquire a WTT but think I'll wait around for something in better shape.

Thanks to all who commented -- I really appreciate it.

Another thing to consider...if you're really set on having this 'table...is to check out AA (the Asylum Trader pages). I believe there are a couple over there currently for sale for not much more than this asking price. As usual, no affiliation or anything. Just noticed is all. Good luck!

Gopher

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2012, 06:34 pm »
I sold one beat to hell after USPS had their way with it for about $1200 a few (maybe 3?) years back.  I had full disclosure and pictures of the damage--the plinth was crooked with a chunk of a corner missing and a crack, the square motor was dented.  I did include an Arcici base and 440mla cartridge though. 

simoon

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2012, 07:01 pm »
I'm not into analog any more, but IMO, spend your bucks on the cartridge, wires etc. The turntable is secondary as long as its good. I had a tangential tracker back in the day. A good table. The cart was the deal.

Oh, I hate to hijack the thread, and get all confrontational, but this is quite wrong (IMHO).

Without a great table and arm, you will not be able to get the best out of any cartridge. There are so many things that the table and arm are responsible for (before the cartridge comes into play), that are crucial for optimum playback.

The same cartridge will sound very different on different tables.

williamsims

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2012, 08:47 pm »
Hi, Simoon, thanks for your comment. 

Though new to the WTT, I'm an old hand at analogue.  I'd much rather have a WTT with a Benz MZ gold than, say, a Denon DP29F with a Benz Wood SL. 

Interesting, a guy on Audiogon has a 1998 WTT with 1998 Benz Ruby for sale for $2,000.  $1,000 for a 14-year old 'table and 14 year-old cartridge.  Does that make sense?

The WTT at $950 didn't sell, BTW.

« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2012, 12:12 am by williamsims »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2012, 09:12 pm »
I'll keep my eyes open for you, a good one will turn up sooner or later.

SteevA

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2012, 09:33 pm »
Without a great table and arm, you will not be able to get the best out of any cartridge. ......
I agree, and I have also recently discovered that the same goes for your phono stage.  My current one is only revealing about 3/4 of what the cartridge/arm/deck combo is capable of extracting.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2012, 10:39 pm »
OP,
The table looks too trashed... I'd pass. Just have patience and wait- something will come along.
Plus that cable is so long... and who knows what it sounds like...

williamsims

« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2012, 12:13 am »
Thanks, everybody, for -- as we Soutnern boys say -- the "he'p!

mick wolfe

« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2012, 12:37 am »
As Jsawyer has mentioned, there's a Well Tempered Classic over at AudioAsylum Marketplace for $1150. Looks to be in better shape than the one we've discussed
here. ( which is also listed @ AA Marketplace) 

williamsims

« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2012, 12:58 am »
Hi, Mick, thanks.  I'd buy that one in a heartbeat only the seller insists on a local pickup.  As his A'gon ad expires, I'll ask him if he'll ship.  -- Bill

williamsims

« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2012, 01:01 am »
And as I mentioned earlier, another guy has a great-looking one for sale but wants to include a 14-year old Benz Reference -- total package $2K.  He may decide to separate after the ad has been up for a while.