Stand Mixers

Doublej

Stand Mixers
« on: 16 Dec 2012, 01:21 am »
Anyone know which issue of Consumer Reports had the stand mixer review in which they dethrone Kitchen Aid as the king of mixers in favor of Breville?

I am thinking about getting my wife a stand mixer for Christmas and am trying to figure out if I should go Kitchen Aid or Breville.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Re: Stand Mixers
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2012, 01:35 am »
Went with the Kitchen Aid 2 years ago and my wife loves it. I don't know about the Breville but the Kitchen Aid also has attachments (must be purchased separately) such as a pasta machine that give it great versatility down the road

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2012, 07:08 am »
The biggest issue with the KA is that the gears are plastic.  It works fine for regular stuff but if you do a lot of bread dough you'll kill the machine a lot faster than normal.  Not a lot of good affordable alternatives, though.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2012, 04:10 pm »
For a guy that is so inclined, are the gears replaceable?

I've been drooling over the KA units for a few years now. I just find it a tough pill to swallow....that much money for a mixer...
Plus, I can't decide if I should get the $200, $300, $400 or the mega $500 unit.

I watch a lot of cooking shows. I can't recall any of them using any machine other than the KA.
Bob

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2012, 04:17 pm »
If you do get a Kitchen Aid, I recommend the kind where the bowl drops down, and not the kind where the head rotates upward (which is the kind I have).  The kind I have makes it too hard to get into the bowl.  Costco usually has a pretty good price on the kind where the bowl drops down. 

I think the versions where the bowl drops down are a little higher power, too, which is good. 

As for shows using Kitchen Aid, I wouldn't put too much "stock" (pardon the pun) into those.  KA probably pays them to use their product.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2012, 04:20 pm »
Good point about "product placement". Very true.

Interesting about the bowl drop versus the head tilt. I hadn't thought about that being an issue.

Thanks!  :thumb:

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2012, 04:51 pm »
Personally this is my fav stand mixer

Bosch Universal Plus Kitchen Machine

Bosch Mixers

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:27 am »
I'm not sure if the gears can be replaced, but I second the recommendation for the Bosch.  That or bite the bullet and get a food processor that's pro grade.  That said, the KA will probably last you 10 years if you don't use it make pizza or bread dough all the time.