Under $1000 power conditioners...

roscoeiii

Re: Under $1000 power conditioners...
« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2012, 09:50 am »
As I read it, your earlier thoughts weren't about the Buss vs RSA but were about the Buss with the RSA. You not only didn't do a direct comparison of the Buss vs RSA, you didn't even demo the Buss alone in your system w/o having the RSA attached. That was a real shame IMHO as you really have no idea what the Buss alone might have done for your system.

Cheers,
Robin

Yes, you are right I should have phrased that differently. I would never use the Buss alone in my system since it offers no protection for my equipment. So the question was whether it added something in addition to the Haley sonically.

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2012, 11:09 am »
A lot of equipment has surge protection built in, like my Emotiva ERC-2 player, there's no need for it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:24 pm »
"A lot" might be overstating it. I am not sure of many other companies who do this other than Emotiva. Maybe Hypex?

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:09 pm »
Well their recommendation for the amp is straight into the wall so I'd assume so but don't know for sure.

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:24 pm »
Well their recommendation for the amp is straight into the wall so I'd assume so but don't know for sure.

Yeah, that was my guess too. But most amp manufacturers recommend straight into the wall due to many power conditioners negatively impacting dynamics. But I don't think most of them have much surge protection circuitry. I could be wrong though.

Gopher

« Reply #25 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:45 pm »
Increase budget by $95 and get an uberbuss, or seek one out used. 

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 13 Dec 2012, 10:07 pm »
Would you want to buy one of those used though? What if someone dropped it or something. I'd be scared of fire hazard.

roscoeiii

« Reply #27 on: 13 Dec 2012, 10:12 pm »
The Buss is built like a tank.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #28 on: 13 Dec 2012, 11:37 pm »
I was very happy to find information aboyut this unit.

Balanced Power Technologies BP-2+

It was compared with the Haley from Running Springs and came out on top.  It may be more than $1000 new.  I liked the reveiws on it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #29 on: 14 Dec 2012, 12:05 am »
Before we get carried away with comparisons, it should probably be mentioned once again that the impact of power conditioning has been reported to be very system dependent. Both with regards to the specific equipment being conditioned, and with regard to the quality of power coming into your home & the presence or absence of EMI/RMF factors.

Listen for yourself in your system. Audition, audition, audition. Of course this goes for other components too.

JoshK

roscoeiii

« Reply #31 on: 14 Dec 2012, 01:59 am »
Equitechs are great. Replaced my Haley with an Equitech 2Q (of course much pricier than the Haley as well).

saisunil

« Reply #32 on: 14 Dec 2012, 02:04 am »
Before we get carried away with comparisons, it should probably be mentioned once again that the impact of power conditioning has been reported to be very system dependent. Both with regards to the specific equipment being conditioned, and with regard to the quality of power coming into your home & the presence or absence of EMI/RMF factors.

Listen for yourself in your system. Audition, audition, audition. Of course this goes for other components too.

+1
There is so much to be said about active vs. passive filtering ...
All of it is system AND power (to your home) dependent

Transformer based conditioners have not stayed in my system ...

roscoeiii

« Reply #33 on: 14 Dec 2012, 02:10 am »
+1
There is so much to be said about active vs. passive filtering ...
All of it is system AND power (to your home) dependent

Transformer based conditioners have not stayed in my system ...

Here is probably where I should say "you just haven't had the right transformer!" But while transformer quality is important, I'm ultimately returning to "All of it is system AND power (to your home) dependent."

saisunil

« Reply #34 on: 14 Dec 2012, 02:40 am »
In general - Preamps, DACs, Transport (low power consuming electronics) tend to benefit from Active while Power Amps - especially big ones lose dynamics with Xfmer based units ...

That being said Uberbuss is not a bad buss to board ... you have money back option too if it does not work for you

Gopher

« Reply #35 on: 17 Dec 2012, 12:18 am »
Looks like there's a used uberbuss for $725 on AC right now.  I suggest buying it and trying it.  If not a fan you won't lose reselling.

brooklyn

« Reply #36 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:17 am »
In general - Preamps, DACs, Transport (low power consuming electronics) tend to benefit from Active while Power Amps - especially big ones lose dynamics with Xfmer based units ...

That being said Uberbuss is not a bad buss to board ... you have money back option too if it does not work for you

I realize the power requirement is not as high as a regular amp but where do the high wattage class D-Amps fit into that equation?

JP

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #37 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:01 pm »
Here are two possibilities, one passive and one active. You can find both of them just below a grand these days. I've had both and will going back to one of them soon.

http://hometheaterreview.com/richard-grays-power-company-1200-custom-reviewed/

http://www.stereophile.com/powerlineaccessories/ps_audio_power_plant_premier_ac_regenerator/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #38 on: 17 Dec 2012, 08:11 pm »
I realize the power requirement is not as high as a regular amp but where do the high wattage class D-Amps fit into that equation?

JP

A non issue. We use the PIAudio Uberbuss when demonstrating class "D" amps. What all will find out eventually that if the power supply of the componet is well designed and executed the need for power conditioning becomes less desireable. Surge protection is another issue.

charles

DTB300

« Reply #39 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:50 pm »
I am a fan of Running Springs Audio PC's.   They have their Elgar model which was priced right around the $1k mark.   I have tried RSA on both front end and power amps and they work great in both applications.  No dynamics loss on the power amp either (Class A Amp).