VIERA® 60" Class U50 Series Full HD Plasma HDTV - $764.99 - Free Shipping

roscoeiii

Brutal Fred. Brutal.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
the friggin' thing arrived with a cracked screen

That Sucks!  I hope they can get a new one to you ASAP. 

I'm bummed out for you over your DOA delivery, so I'm honestly not trying to rub it in.  But I've had mine for a few days and I really like it.  I can actually see shadow contrast in dark movie scenes.  After watching a DLP for many years, this is a revelation to me.  Football action is rock solid.

Once this gets settled, I think you'll be pretty happy with the TV.

Russ

screener

Bummer. Hopefully than can do better job next time.

Was it shipped strapped to a pallet?

When you sign off make sure you write not inspected or someone might explain here what to write when you sign for delivery.

Also when inspecting look for hair line cracks on all four corners of the panel with a flash light.

roscoeiii

Well Fred, things get sorted?

BobM

Some really good pre Super Bowl TV deals out there. I just ordered a Panasonic 55" Plasma (GT series) for $1329 from BuyDig.com on Sunday. No tax and no shipping charges, as compared to Amazon. Got it yesterday  and mounted it last night.

There seems to be a lot of lower end models from all manufacturers that are hugely discounted, but the better models have big savings too, then just cost a bit more for the better picture quality and feature set (3D, wi-fi, etc.).

Cacophonix

Best buy had the 55" vt50 for $1699 till last week. They were price matching online prices as well (~$1600). Plenty of great deals around.

Gopher

Well Fred, things get sorted?

Indeed.  The TV is terrific.  I stole some settings from a person on avsforum with similar room conditions to mine and the image quality after a few days burn in is fantastic.  If it didn't need to serve as a computer monitor part time, I'd get the 50inch U50 for my bedroom as it was on sale for like $475 recently.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Fred, here are the calibration settings from the CNET review.  I plugged them in the other day and am now even more impressed with the TV.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-571010/panasonic-tc-p50u50-picture-settings/

Russ

hum4god

Indeed.  The TV is terrific.  I stole some settings from a person on avsforum with similar room conditions to mine and the image quality after a few days burn in is fantastic.  If it didn't need to serve as a computer monitor part time, I'd get the 50inch U50 for my bedroom as it was on sale for like $475 recently.

do you mind sharing where you saw that offer ?
i missed the original viera 60" sale and now it seems to be gone .
or does somebody know where it is still offered for $765 ?

LadyDog

For those who have a Fry's store close, this tv is $699.  Believe it ends tomorrow though?

mcgsxr

I helped my Dad pick out a nice U series 60 inch plasma for the Superbowl last weekend.  He's very happy! 

We paid $999 which up here in Canada is a decent deal.

Gopher

do you mind sharing where you saw that offer ?
i missed the original viera 60" sale and now it seems to be gone .
or does somebody know where it is still offered for $765 ?

It was probably slickdeals.net or fat wallet.   I don't recall off hand but some good stuff can be found surfing the deal forums.

StereoNut

I have a dumb question... how good is the picture on a 3D HDTV for regular (non-3D) viewing?

mcgsxr

I think the question about 2D viewing on a 3D capable screen is a valid one.

I have a VT30 Panasonic Plasma.  It is 3D ready.  I have had it for closing in on a year now.  I can count on 2 hands the number of times we have put on the glasses and watched it in 3D.

2D gets used everyday.  It is a great display.

I assume that other 3D capable displays do a good job on 2D as well.

Mudslide

Gopher, congrats on the deal!  I love my 58" Panny.  But a question....how did you learn about the discount?  Were you actively surfing for the best deal?  Or is that Starbucks partners website one that we should be signed up with?  Thanks.

Gopher

I think I came across it on www.slickdeals.net on the hot deals forum.  Its a site worth checking out semi-regularly.

Mudslide

I think I came across it on www.slickdeals.net on the hot deals forum.  Its a site worth checking out semi-regularly.

Good site.  Thanks, I'll bookmark it.

owenmd

The Costco by us has dozens of UT50, 55" plasma's on sale for $699.  They also have it online, but its $50 more.

I actually wanted a 60", but for half the price, I couldn't resist picking one of these up last week.  :thumb:

finsup

I just ordered the above 60 inch plasma TV at what looks to me like a great price.  I'm pretty excited to get it and figure some folks here may want to talk advantage as well.

The trick to see the price is to do the following :

1. Make sure you aren't logged into your account on Panasonic site.

2. Register and create an account at https://www.starbuckspartnerdiscounts.com/Login.aspx

3. Login to the site and select the Panasonic store.

4. Go to the Panasonic store from that link and then search for P60U50 and you will see the discounted price.

5. Checkout and create a new account during the process to checkout with the discounted price.

What is this Starbucks Partners Discount program?  I followed the link to join and to take a look around but I need a Starbucks Partner Number and a Hire Date?  It looks like it is available to Starbucks employees only. 

acresm22

The Costco by us has dozens of UT50, 55" plasma's on sale for $699.  They also have it online, but its $50 more.

I actually wanted a 60", but for half the price, I couldn't resist picking one of these up last week.  :thumb:

This 55" Panasonic Plasma is now $599 at Costco, as of this past Saturday June 8.
I picked up one today...only two left in our local store. It's 3-D ready, comes with built-in media player (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora...the usual services), but does not have built-in wifi.
Here's a cnet review from last year on this model: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55ut50/4505-6482_7-35153393.html