VIERA® 60" Class U50 Series Full HD Plasma HDTV - $764.99 - Free Shipping

Gopher

I just ordered the above 60 inch plasma TV at what looks to me like a great price.  I'm pretty excited to get it and figure some folks here may want to talk advantage as well.

The trick to see the price is to do the following :

1. Make sure you aren't logged into your account on Panasonic site.

2. Register and create an account at https://www.starbuckspartnerdiscounts.com/Login.aspx

3. Login to the site and select the Panasonic store.

4. Go to the Panasonic store from that link and then search for P60U50 and you will see the discounted price.

5. Checkout and create a new account during the process to checkout with the discounted price.

roscoeiii

Whoa. 60"? I was still getting my head around how big 55" was...

Look forward to hearing how this looks.

Rclark

Good Score! After a week 51" seems normal. Make sure to be careful with burn in and use the burn in protection. I'm learning this as I go. Plasma's require a little TLC. But the picture is the best.

Gopher

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched for it--should fill in the wall between my speakers much better the the 42 I have with a much better image quality.

It seems like most of the burn in concerns are largely overstated with plasma.  That said, I won't likely be doing much gaming or anything on this TV, so I'm not overly concerned.  Thanks for the caution though.

JoshK

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched for it--should fill in the wall between my speakers much better the the 42 I have with a much better image quality.

It seems like most of the burn in concerns are largely overstated with plasma.  That said, I won't likely be doing much gaming or anything on this TV, so I'm not overly concerned.  Thanks for the caution though.

I have a 58" Panasonic plasma (few years old now) that I love.   I paid a LOT more.   You really only have to be careful about burn-in in the first 6 months or so.  Don't leave any high contrast image on the screen for a long while.   But this is pretty obvious now and even gaming systems have screensavers and such.   Its really overstated like you said.

sunnydaze

Four years ago I paid $950 for a 42" Hitachi plasma.  And I shopped and shopped and shopped, so that was a good price at the time.  Amazing how they've dropped.

Congrats Fred, it's gonna be awesome!     :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
F,

What made you chose Plasma versus others?

I'm debating between this and Mitsubishi 73" DLP.

Thanks,

StereoNut

Congrats!  I bought my 58" Samsung HD Plasma TV about 4 years ago and it cost me around 2X that!  :duh:

StereoNut

F,

Thanks,

I understand the lure of a 70" set, but IMHO, I don't think a DLP set can come close to the picture on a Plasma.

Gopher

F,

Thanks,

Hugh,

Image quality, mostly.  I'll admit I haven't checked them out in a couple years, but DLP wasn't playing on the same level as plasma for me.  This TV has excellent reviews and has only the features I care about (a little annoying it only has 2 HDMIs, but when I move from my condo I intend to use an AVR reciever with my Athena speaker setup which can handle switching duties).  I hadn't seen this particular model in action, but I love Panny's plasmas and from everything I read it appeared the right choice. 

Can't wait to get this monster in my relatively small condo!

rockn

That's a great price Gopher! I paid $1100 for a 60in LG plasma in the spring. Plasma is the way to go, good off center viewing.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Thanks F,

I just might have to rethink my potential purchase then.

We already have a 65" Mitsubishi so I'll need to go to a larger screen.
I do like Plasma however since we had a 60" LG played in our room at THE Show Newport Beach and I really liked the picture.

Thanks,
Hugh,

Image quality, mostly.  I'll admit I haven't checked them out in a couple years, but DLP wasn't playing on the same level as plasma for me.  This TV has excellent reviews and has only the features I care about (a little annoying it only has 2 HDMIs, but when I move from my condo I intend to use an AVR reciever with my Athena speaker setup which can handle switching duties).  I hadn't seen this particular model in action, but I love Panny's plasmas and from everything I read it appeared the right choice. 

Can't wait to get this monster in my relatively small condo!

Dan Driscoll

That is a great price for a very, very good TV, a real Sweet Deal!  :thumb:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Don't know whether to thank you or curse you.  I watched a movie last night with my boys (The Avengers) and just got disgusted with the blur, rainbows, and blotchy grays of my 7 year old DLP.  So..... the Panny is on the way.  Merry Christmas to me!

Russ

Gopher

Good for you.  We can patiently await it coming back in stock together!

Seems like a whole lotta TV for the dollar.  I started beefing up my 1080p content collection in anticipation.

jonbee

I've used a 50" Panny plasma for a year and a half or so, and I'm very pleased with it. Compared to the best LCDs I've seen the picture is smoother and more natural, more " analog film" like, and less grainy. Top notch. The few $ in the electric bill is a small price to pay for what I get, IMO.
Enjoy!
I'm tempted to get one myself.

SoCalWJS

Thanks F,

I do like Plasma however since we had a 60" LG played in our room at THE Show Newport Beach and I really liked the picture.

Thanks,
HUGH! We gotta talk!

(you'll like the Panny Plasma MUCH better!) :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
I'm all ears Sir. :)
HUGH! We gotta talk!

(you'll like the Panny Plasma MUCH better!) :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Thanks F,

Thanks,

Can you go with a front pj?

I have a 65" Panny plasma (last year's top of the line - P65VT30) in the family room.  But for a truly awesome movie or gaming experience  I go down into the HT and watch on a 96" x 54" screen.

vs.

George

Gopher

Well, crap.  I got my TV today and the friggin' thing arrived with a cracked screen.   It also won't power on so i can't even check it out in this shape.  Looks like my bedroom will be a warehouse for a gigantic TV box until they can get a new one out to me in a couple weeks.

Major bummer!