Looking For Some Jazz/Fusion Recommendations

TomS

Re: Looking For Some Jazz/Fusion Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2012, 07:13 pm »
Great choices here, glad to see a little love for brand X!
Or maybe Lancaster and Lumley's "Marscape", but that's more prog-rock to me. I finally scored another very clean copy on vinyl. Love it  :green:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2012, 07:22 pm »
I really like the Gong Expresso II album - even have Mick Taylor featured on the 1st track.

Another possible fusion album that's a bit heavier on the psychedelic-side is a Richmond VA band called The Alter Natives.  This might be stretching the definition though as its a difficult band to describe :  instrumental metal / tropical / surf / space rock band.  On some albums they do have a sax & flute player. 

If "fusion" means more than just straight up jazz-based, I'd consider the Alter Natives definitely fusion for all the elements they combine.

I don't think they are so active anymore, but if interested check out their Myspace (!) page : http://www.myspace.com/alternatives23

There are some tracks to listen to there.  Listen to the first one to get an idea of what there thing is (was).

Won't find the albums on itunes, but can find used cd / lps on Amazon.com. 

doorman

« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2012, 07:58 pm »
John McLaughlin is always on (my) list of fusion greats. Hi latest, "Now Here This" is another stellar offering, with his usual impeccable back-up band mates.
Also, anything by Jonas Helborg, Shawn Lane, Jeff Sipe, (mostly on  Bardo label)
You could also check out the "Abstract Logix" site. Tons of great fusion found there!
Don

Wasatch

« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2012, 08:06 pm »
John McLaughlin is always on (my) list of fusion greats. Hi latest, "Now Here This" is another stellar offering, with his usual impeccable back-up band mates.
Also, anything by Jonas Helborg, Shawn Lane, Jeff Sipe, (mostly on  Bardo label)
You could also check out the "Abstract Logix" site. Tons of great fusion found there!
Don

I have all the Shawn Lane stuff. I guess I forgot to mention, but I'm looking for vinyl only. I have tons of stuff from the late 80s to present on CD.

Chazro

« Reply #24 on: 4 Dec 2012, 10:18 pm »
Horacee Arnold - 'Tales Of The Exonerated Flea'.  I consider it to be one of the absolute greatest Fusion records! 

From All-Music - "In 1974, drummer and composer Horacee Arnold assembled a stellar cast of players for Tales of the Exonerated Flea, his second Columbia album. Following on the heels of 1973's acclaimed Tribe, Tales was recorded at the height of the jazz-rock fusion era. Arnold's vision was a wide-ranging one and he recruited players form all over the jazz world, from stalwarts like bassist George Mraz and flutist Art Webb, to vanguardists like Sonny Fortune, to hardcore fusion players like Weather Report's master percussionist Dom Um Romao, the Mahavishnu Orchestra's bassist Rick Laird, and keyboardist Jan Hammer. As if this weren't enough, Arnold even reached into ECM's roster and signed up their two iconoclastic guitarists Ralph Towner and John Abercrombie. The end result is one of the most fascinating, soulful and truly successful albums of the entire genre."

Another Gem was the Latin Jazz 'Fusion' record by Ray Barretto; 'The Other Road'.  I've loved this record since I 1st bought it 40 yrs ago!  Smokin' session featuring Billy Cobham in his prime!  No guitars though so this might not be the type of Fusion yr looking for.

BUT....if you really feel like experimenting and are feeling a little adventurous try finding the legendary Cuban group; Irakere's 1st american CBS record.  It's a live record (white-ish cover with drawings of the band on it) that's simply stunning.  Fusion in the truest sense of the word, combining Latin, Rock, Classical, Jazz with startling virtuosity.  A VERY exciting record, IF you can hang!;)

simoon

« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2012, 11:36 pm »
This is a thread right up my alley! There is plenty of great stuff from that time period,

Too bad it has to be vinyl only though, because there has been some really good stuff from post mid-90's that is only available in CD.

These are kind of all over the map, from pretty familiar sounding fusion, to some more unusual stuff that is still unmistakably fusion. There are plenty more. I will list more later.

David Sancious - A phenomenal keyboard player that had 4 truly amazing albums in the 70's. World class, fiery fusion!

'Transformation (The Speed of Love)', 'Forest of Feelings' and 'Just as I Thought" are easy to find in used vinyl stores. He had one more that was never released at the time called, 'Dance at the Age of Enlightenment' . There are questionably legal versions available on CD. 'Just as I Thought' kind of straddles the line between fusion and prog.

Iceberg (from Spain) - how this band didn't become more well known during the first 'Golden Age' of fusion is beyond me. RTF influenced fusion with world class musicianship. Max Sune on guitar is a monster.

'Cosas Nostras', 'Sentiments' and 'Arc-En-Ciel' are the 3 must haves.  Their first "Tutankhamon' is great too, but some have problems with the vocals, and it is a little closer to prog. Still, the instrumental sections are BLAZING!

They may be kind of expensive on vinyl, though.

Arti E Mestieri (from Italy) - Another band that kind of straddles the line between prog and fusion. Their drummer, Furio Chrico has amazingly fast hands.

Their first. 'Tilt' is closer to prog, kind of like RTF meets PFM, their second, 'Giro Di Valzer Per Domani' is a little closer to fusion. Then they went into a more smooth jazz direction for years, until 'Estrazioni' which is close to their first 2.

Release Music Orchestra (Germany - kind of Weather Report-ish.

Edition Speciale (France) - top notch fusion. Some RTF influences, but even some Zappa influences.

Scott Lindenmuth Group (USA) - real good guitar led fusion. The 1st, 'Another Side, Another Time' was a fairly unique album. The follow up releases were a little more standard Holdswoth influenced.

Isotope (UK) - British fusion lead by great guitarist, Gary Boyle.

Zao (France) - fusion offshoot of prog band, Magma. Still retains some of Magma's signature sound. Not your usual fusion. YMMV

If you are looking for some modern stuff, check into:

Forgas Band Phenomena (France)

Spaced Out (Canada) - heavy fusion lead by amazing bassist, Antoine Farfard.

7 for 4 (Germany)

Counter-World Experience (Germany) - complex fusion- metal with chops from hell.

Panzerballett (Germany) - another amazing fusion- metal band, with incredible complexity and chops, and a sense of humor.

One Shot (France) - another modern offshoot of Magma.

OHM (USA) - pure fusion lead by ex-Megadeath guitarist, Chris Poland.

Machacek (Austria, living in the US) - complex fusion lead by incredible guitarist and composer, Alex Machacek. Influenced by Zappa and Holdsworth.  By far one of the best modern fusion musicians.

Scott McGill (USA)