Dayton audio DTA 100

chgolatin2

Dayton audio DTA 100
« on: 30 Nov 2012, 01:36 pm »
For $89 buck you sure cant beat this tiny powerhouse, it's features and what it comes with is down right perfect.  I was debating and researching a compact amp for quite some time, doing research, googling the items, etc finally decided what can go wrong w less than $100 investment? We waste more than that on a dinner date or a night out w your friends sometimes so why not invest it in some music?

Well I'm glad that I did, I was not only shocked as to how well it performs and sounds but how tiny this amp is, absolutely "PERFECT" as a travel amp, garage workshop, desktop, small room, office.  Man so many uses w this amp.  Needless to say I'm purchasing another DTA 100 ;) this is one lil amp that surely qualifies for the title of cheap a d cheerful, because after all it's a cheerful and enjoyable product...  Goes to show that you don't need to spend hundreds, even thousands to get "quality" audio.  Mind you that this is not considered an "audiophile" snobbish amp but it sure does sound good and performs exactly as it should.  Wish it had remote
Control but for $89 what else can you expect?

Overall, I'm impressed and very pleased....

fredgarvin

Re: Dayton audio DTA 100
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:40 pm »
I'm glad you like it, mine has become my office amp. It's an excellent example of a good tripath amp. It has a nice presence in the midrange, beating a lot of amps there. It makes one wonder if spending all the money is really necessary to enjoy audiophile sound.  :thumb:

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2012, 12:02 pm »
Yes indeed, you don't need to spend massive amount of money in order to get good sound, spending more doesn't equate to better sounding music... If you do your homework, instead of listening to all the media hype and hearsay.  You can possibly obtain a decent stereo system for a decent amount of money which can outperform many other options costing "thousands" more..

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2012, 02:18 pm »
Is there a 24V battery pack to make this a truly portable setup?

Sparky14

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:26 pm »
On sale for $69 today (12/17) only

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2012, 07:48 pm »
This is a good unit for the price, but there's some distortion over 12 o'clock. Anyone notice this?

fredgarvin

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2012, 08:17 pm »
This is a good unit for the price, but there's some distortion over 12 o'clock. Anyone notice this?

I haven't noticed that. However I rarely turn it that high, it is loud with my speakers.

lacro

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2012, 10:23 pm »

I haven't taken mine beyond 9 o'clock. No distortion at my listening levels, but mine which is 2-3 years old recently started having the issue of channel balance at low volume levels. It's fine at normal volume. This has been a great little amp for the C&C price.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2012, 03:51 am »
Bypass the volume control and use an external LDR or something. Then battery power it. Should be surprisingly good at that point. Given that they get reviews in which people enjoy them even at very expensive levels or shootouts... Those couple of little modifications I just mentioned would probably make them capable of being your main amplifier.

Oh wait then replace the input capacitors. I wouldn't use BG though. And it is easier to replace the RCA jacks after unsoldering the plastic crap that comes on it.

http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/inputmods_E.html

It can be a main amplifier at that point.

Those are my thoughts. Those modifications are so easy.... A newbie could do them. Just solder the input caps right off the RCA ins, and add jumpers between where the volume knob connects. Use your external volume control. Batteries are easy, just a few crimp on ends, and one that plugs into the amplifier.

:green:

Sparky14

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2012, 09:27 pm »
Just got mine, and put it through a test. No distortion at all at 12:00 on mine. At 3:00, start to hear a little, but it is too loud for listening at that volume anyway. Using it with a $39 pair of those Pioneer A.Jones speakers.....sounds great.

Really impressed with this little amp.

harley52

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:10 am »
I remember seeing that at PE and it doesn't have a balance control, so non starter right there for me. My ears are starting to show their age.