Vertical or horizontal for Neo10 OB

studiotech

Re: Vertical or horizontal for Neo10 OB
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2012, 02:16 am »
Yes, I've considered the Digmoda gear a while back. From memory cost was an issue and I couldn't work out where to put it on my sperakers.

I will reinvestigate.

Well, they are not cheap, but considering what they include, it's not so bad.  Even my direct pricing has gone up by nearly 15% since I bought mine.  Augsburger studio monitors are now using Digmoda rather than outboard Bryston active crossovers or DSP and separate amps, so I'd say I'm in good company.

I was planning to use some of the bamboo from the baffles to make cases for them and sit them on the floor behind the support leg, but I've gone and used up all of the remaining bamboo for other projects, so I need to find a solution.  For the past year the Digmoda have just been propped up against the entertainment unit naked.  Not ideal at all.

Greg

studiotech

« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2012, 02:19 am »
Greg:

Are you able to get enough punch on the low end of those neo 10s running open baffle? I forget the crossover point, 200 or so? Sorry if already discussed.

Rocket_Ronny

With the two in parallel on my baffle, no problem.  I've tried them as low as 150Hz and at that point, they struggle with higher SPL, but at 300Hz I do not have any issues so far.  The mutual coupling on the low end with two has really kept me from having to add to much boost EQ to stay flat that low.

Greg

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2012, 10:30 pm »
Greg,

I really need to drag myself over there to hear your concoctions. With my 1812s in tow if you have room. :wink:
Of course my last trip traversing the I-4 parking lot couple weeks ago, included with a 2+ hr vehicle fire delay...yay.

cheers,

AJ

studiotech

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2012, 01:19 am »
Greg,

I really need to drag myself over there to hear your concoctions. With my 1812s in tow if you have room. :wink:
Of course my last trip traversing the I-4 parking lot couple weeks ago, included with a 2+ hr vehicle fire delay...yay.

cheers,

AJ

Don't wait too long.  I'm considering moving to Denver in a few months...

Actually, I'll be in the Tampa area in a few weeks.  Maybe I can stop by your place first!  And feel free to bring whatever you want if you make it this way.  I got room.

Greg

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2012, 03:12 pm »
Then I drunkenly bought the Neo10s
Steve, I'm going to PM you my address so that next time you have too much firewater, you can just ship them to me :icon_lol:

sfdoddsy

« Reply #25 on: 16 Dec 2012, 06:38 am »
I have one test baffle up and running., with a pair of Neo10s laid horizontally and a Neo3 above. These are not designed to replace my main speakers, but to replace the bedroom system. It was pointed out that our new child may find the current drivers very finger friendly. The Neos have their own cage.

I've done a quick tweak with a MiniDSP, crossing at 3k.

Here's where I'm starting from. Measurements are in room from 1 metre.

JoshK

« Reply #26 on: 16 Dec 2012, 06:55 am »
not too bad....

sfdoddsy

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:42 pm »
And here's a quick test of the drivers in a horizontal MTM (with the Neo3 horizontal too).

The tweeter is a bit low, but you get an idea of what is happening.

this_is_vv

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jan 2013, 12:49 am »
Thanks John. For some reason I'm going through a burst of speaker upgradeitis. I've had Maggie 1.7s, Nakamichi Dragons and Apogee Stages at home to compare with my bastard Orions in an attempt to simplify everything. I'd prefer not to have a full three way active system and not to be constantly diagnosing glitches with the DCX, an errant cable, or whatever.

I am feeling the pain now....Seems like DCX issue today for me...then another days ago was amplifier issue then a cable issue....i am seriously thinking to move some amount to passive now.....way too much things that can happen in active...

rick57

« Reply #29 on: 14 Apr 2013, 10:07 pm »
I tried the horizontal layout to combat a poor room layout.  I did not like the result and stayed with the more traditional layout, which is no longer an issue because I flipped my room around and now have both baffles 7ft+ from the side walls.  The change in sound is dramatic.  I went from soundstage and spacially average sound to actually getting better sound than at the studio for the first time ever  I need far less treatments than before and am getting far better results.  Got those things far away from the walls AND closer to you.

Greg

Greg

I’m considering flipping my room around (quite a job). My room is short of space

Do you think it’s better to have more distance from the speakers to the sides, or to the wall behind them?

Thanks

studiotech

« Reply #30 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:27 am »
Greg

I’m considering flipping my room around (quite a job). My room is short of space

Do you think it’s better to have more distance from the speakers to the sides, or to the wall behind them?

Thanks

Both....but it also depends which way offers better symmetry too.  In my case, moving from more space behind to more space on sides also got me better L/R symmetry.  AND, since i'm using absorption on the rear of the baffle as well as Mondo traps on the wall behind the baffles, being closer to the wall has not affected my imaging at all.  Can you do a quick flip of the just the speakers to see if one is significantly better than the other?

Greg
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 05:52 am by studiotech »

SteveRB

« Reply #31 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:54 am »
OB have a null to their sides, so closer side wall distance is a little less critical than rear wall.

studiotech

« Reply #32 on: 15 Apr 2013, 05:50 am »
OB have a null to their sides, so closer side wall distance is a little less critical than rear wall.

To a certain extent yes this is true, but too many folks forget that the major drop in SPL is directly to the side, 90deg from the front face of the drivers.    The side wall first reflection point is still illuminated about as much as with a standard boxed speaker, so if they are very close or set up with non-symmetry, this can still be a big problem as in my own case.  Now, IF the baffles are toed way in, aimed directly at the listener, this can push the null into a beneficial spot further down the side wall.

Greg

zmyrna

« Reply #33 on: 9 May 2013, 05:43 pm »
I am experimenting with B&G neo drivers myself.
I have pair each of neo3 and neo8s.
Lower mid is currently handled by a cone.
But I plan buying a pair of neo10 for next project.

Pairing neo10 with neo3,
best scenario is single neo10 (vertical) and neo3 (vertical).
Crossed over around 1500-1700 gives good horizontal dispersion.
Vertical dispersion not as good (neo10 already beaming at 1500).
Adding the second neo10 makes dispersion worse at all configurations.
I am talking minimal or no baffle.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/175745-three-way-nude-swinging-dipole-thread.html

Add neo8s into the picture:
We can now cross  at 1000-1200 and avoid beaming of neo10 on all axis.
Horizontal dipole radiation is now extended higher.
However, we are still left with the vertical beaming of neo8s, albeit at higher freq.
I think this is lesser of a devil and there are some mods to neo8s that can help.
I am experimenting with felt or foam acoustic lenses on neo8s.
These should help the vertical radiation, but I have no measurement capabilities to show that now.
I can report that my felt mods are very beneficial for taming the rising response and HF peak of neo8s.
With this mod, neo8s behaves very much like a compact MTM with neo3 in the middle.
Actually, it behaves better than a neo3 because my neo3 sounded more peaky even with EQ.
So IMO neo10 + modded neo8s combo can do without the addition of neo3 on top.
If more top end needed, I would add a cheap ribbon or amt supertweeter with a single cap.