Build LS-9

PMAT

Re: Build LS-9
« Reply #60 on: 1 Jan 2013, 01:39 am »
 :lol: You gotta just love it. The scene in my mind of Tubesaab rockin to BTO is too good for words. Massive watts, LS-9's, BTO and Steppinwolf and a huge smile :thumb: God bless you Tubesaab! I wish I could have seen your face with the opening dogbark on Roger Waters "Amused To Death"

tubesaab

« Reply #61 on: 1 Jan 2013, 02:03 am »
ohoooooo this is a great evening...i can not find the dog ,,it is far away :lol:

Captainhemo

« Reply #62 on: 1 Jan 2013, 02:24 am »
Haha,  sounds like  an awesome time.  We should have all  got  tickets and joined in  the LS( Christening !!
Happy  New Year

-jay

tubesaab

« Reply #63 on: 1 Jan 2013, 02:51 am »
happy new year to all clock is 4.00 in the morning her in Denmark---John Fogerty on the player---what a great night :lol:

tubesaab

« Reply #64 on: 3 Jan 2013, 06:00 pm »
Will try to tell a little more about the LS-9
have make some changes to my polarity
change the 220vac polarity on my Dac
Just find out that my Tube Pre need to change polarity on the output...make that on my Amp on the speaker output + to -
this gave a more forward sound,,with better resolution,,,,more tight bass

with this changes the speaker now give a sound, that is hard to beat
i am surprice over how the speaker dissapear ,,you do not hear the speaker but a wall of music,,,super 3d and wide sound :icon_lol:
the tone off the speaker is wery lovely,,,hear the sound of trumpet and xylophone,,sound wery nice
the dynamic is just surprising
compare to my old speaker,,,they have both there forces,,but i will not return to them
one thing more ,,,they are soooo pleasant  for the ears ,no hard sound at all,,this is one of the best thinks for me :thumb:
have to do some with my corner to help the bass,,,this will i not do before they are fully broken ind

hope you understand what i write
best Bjarne

PMAT

« Reply #65 on: 3 Jan 2013, 07:53 pm »
We understand. Have you listened to "the Wall" by Pink Floyd? How about Stevie Ray Vaughn playing "Tin Pan Alley"?

tubesaab

« Reply #66 on: 3 Jan 2013, 08:38 pm »
 not yet--but it will certainly come   :D
i have listening to a DVD record from NDR3, a German channel, Marcus Miller playing number from Tuto (Miles Davis)
this records sound quality is first rate-,,have always sound marvelous,but on the LS-9 it is no less than absolute   fantastic ,, you fele like you are to that concert ,his band is also top player..i do not think that it could be much better
i will also say that is necessary to make sure, amp and pre make it together..this will make the speaker to sing
best Bjarne

Cheeseboy

« Reply #67 on: 3 Jan 2013, 10:24 pm »
We have the same rock and roll new years eve.  ZZ Top, Johnny Winter, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Bush started the evening.  We play it loud and proud. 

God loves line source and those who rock them. 

Wait til those speakers are fully broken in.  Then you can set the controls for the heart of the sun.

Happy New Year.

nickd

« Reply #68 on: 3 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm »
Nice build Bjarne :D

The 9's should keep getting better day by day for a couple of weeks. Glad to see you enjoying them as much as I did. Tune that room to tighten up the bass and you'll be in heaven. You will hear every change you make to your system. You may also be supprised to find that a very good sub (or two) :guitar: to fill out the 15-25hz bass will make the soundstage even more realistic.
 :beer:

tubesaab

« Reply #69 on: 4 Jan 2013, 06:26 pm »
Hej All
Thanks for the advice ---a sub, he he  i do not know were to place such think--best not to tell the wife this  :)

i am looking on update the filter,,and kan see some places where it will be good to set in

1.....the coil in the bass  (serie coil)-----what will be best,,,0 ohm trafo Mundorf ,,,c coil from Jantzen,,,CFC coil  from mundorf or Jantzen

2....the coil in the tweeter ...CFC coil  could be good

3....do not know how good the sonicap is...is there something to get there ?

best Bjarne

Danny Richie

« Reply #70 on: 4 Jan 2013, 07:02 pm »
Hej All
Thanks for the advice ---a sub, he he  i do not know were to place such think--best not to tell the wife this  :)

i am looking on update the filter,,and kan see some places where it will be good to set in

1.....the coil in the bass  (serie coil)-----what will be best,,,0 ohm trafo Mundorf ,,,c coil from Jantzen,,,CFC coil  from mundorf or Jantzen

2....the coil in the tweeter ...CFC coil  could be good

3....do not know how good the sonicap is...is there something to get there ?

best Bjarne

Since the LS-9's are a full range playing speaker, I would put a pair of our servo subs in the back corners (behind you) of the room and run them out of phase from the LS-9's. That will balance out any room nodes in the lower ranges and keep the room from being over loaded while at the same time extending the bottom end.

As far as the crossover is concerned, they are already loaded with top notch parts. You are going to gain anything by swapping out the inductors. Those are Erse XQ inductors that are four 9's pure OFC wire. In fact going to a Jantzen would be a big backward step.

The Sonicaps are great. Don't mess with those. You can however add Sonicap Platinum by-pass caps to the tweeter circuit and bring resolution and detail levels up a level or two.

tubesaab

« Reply #71 on: 4 Jan 2013, 07:15 pm »
Thanks Danny
happy to hear about the quality of the Ersa
this will also save some money
platinium caps--sound like a good idea--let us  return to that later
hmmm the sub  maybe this could be a good idea---lets wait and see

tubesaab

« Reply #72 on: 6 Jan 2013, 05:04 pm »
A bit funny thing
newer had i have speaker who change so much ,when they are broken in...... happily it is in the good way--  :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #73 on: 6 Jan 2013, 07:46 pm »
A bit funny thing
newer had i have speaker who change so much ,when they are broken in...... happily it is in the good way--  :)

And for that pair of speakers it could take a good 500 hours to completely settle in.

tubesaab

« Reply #74 on: 6 Jan 2013, 07:53 pm »
he he i think i need a couple of hours more

persisting1

« Reply #75 on: 7 Jan 2013, 07:53 am »
Is tubesaab the new GR Research rep for Scandinavia?  :D

tubesaab

« Reply #76 on: 7 Jan 2013, 09:30 am »
he he ,,maybe and until further ,the only one..simply start from the buttom
later on, some folk from the Danish Speaker builder forum,will come and hear this great speaker

tubesaab

« Reply #77 on: 11 Jan 2013, 04:29 pm »
Specially for Danny
Danny you said to me that the LS-9 is a super speaker,,,you have totally right..and the best for me ,,my wife said now the same...it is a good thing with people,that you can trust what they say..you have the hole way promised that i will satisfied,,,and those word are writing from a very very  happy person..i am very thankfull to you and the other, who comment the strength of this formidable speaker  :D
i thing i need some more break in time ,,but i can hear it is only moving one way ,,,and this is op in quality  :P
more later.
Best regards
Bjarne

tubesaab

« Reply #78 on: 12 Jan 2013, 02:45 pm »
It is now time to make the Base for the speaker...can see someone use a floating base..how to make that?

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 12 Jan 2013, 05:21 pm »
It is now time to make the Base for the speaker...can see someone use a floating base..how to make that?

I like a wide base myself. And with a set of floor spikes far to the outside edges of a wide base gives good stability and a nice improvement to the sound.