Need Help to find my wife a christmas gift

Nocturne79

Re: Need Help to find my wife a christmas gift
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2012, 09:20 pm »
Hey all

Yeah some complaints she has about her camera are that when it gets night time it does not take as well of photos and also when we were shooting photos of some of our friends kids they kept moving alot so she was not too happy with some of the blurry photos.  I figure if I get her a really nice camera body that works with her lens then i wil let her take care of the lenses and other things...I thought at one time about the camera bag, but she would definitely enjoying buying that herself as she would get to pick color, and style.

We do actually have a scanner but good suggestions and as always appreciated.  Sadly she does not have time for a photo class at the moment as she is finishing a degree at the Univeristy this year, though good idea for another time.

low.pfile

« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2012, 09:46 pm »
You can currently get a D5100 body for about $450, the newer D5200 is not available yet--it was just announced a couple of weeks ago. But body is estimated to run you approx $1100 sometime in December. a D7000 body is $1000 (amazon prices)

a quick google provided this:

"The D5200 offers a 39-point AF system for smarter focusing and tracking of moving subjects (compared to the 11-point module on the D5100), a 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor (whereas the D5100 judged exposure based on just 420 pixels), and a new Expeed 3 processor that permits up to five shots per second (versus the older camera's 4 fps). There's also a brand new main image sensor: a DX-format chip that is the same size as the D5100's and yet somehow squeezes in 8 million more pixels, bringing the effective resolution to 24.1 megapixels."

I have a D5100 and it's low light images are really good It is better than the D60 (I had a D80 which has the same sensor as the D60) And the D5100 focuses fine-- the lens factors into this as well

Consider that the image files sizes will be larger since the D5200 is 24 MP…D60 = 8MP, D5100 = 16MP, D5200 = 24MP and D7000 = 16MP. Also, the D7000 is a larger camera than the D60 and D5100 series, so that should be considered as your wife may not want bigger/heavier.

Lots and lots of D5100 here samples for real world image quality references: http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon-d5100/pool/

Nocturne79

« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2012, 02:06 am »
Hey thank, that is a good point about the size and the d5100 being about 400 less for the body makes it a nice option too.  So many options lol this will be an interesting christmas heh.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2012, 02:40 am »
Hey all

................. also when we were shooting photos of some of our friends kids they kept moving alot so she was not too happy with some of the blurry photos.  I figure if I get her a really nice camera body that works with her lens then i wil let her take care of the lenses and other things...

Uh, a new body will not fix that.  Blurry photos are usually a result of camera shake, or too little light getting through the lens to have shutter speeds fast enough to stop action.  The 18-55 doesn't let much light in, but the 50/1.4 lets in TONS of light.

What university?  If you PM me with your email address I can send you my class handouts.  Could be a big help, as they are designed to be an easy-to-read condensed owner's manual.  Humor added at no charge.   :thumb:

Edit:  You/she could email any one of us photo nuts with photos she's not happy with.  We can evaluate and send back suggestions. 

Nocturne79

« Reply #24 on: 26 Nov 2012, 10:25 pm »
I just want to say thank you everyone for the great input and suggestions.  I ended up buying a d7000 body for a nice deal and my wife the other day mentioned wanting a new camera again so figured it was the best bet lol. I also got her a manfrotto carbon fiber tripod with magnesium ballhead with quick release. 

Thank you all for the wonderful input!  Have a Merry Christmas!

Nocturne79
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2012, 11:44 pm by Nocturne79 »

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2012, 03:07 am »
The D7000 is a fantastic camera - she should be thrilled. There are 2 user-setting banks, U1 and U2, that she can preset with all the camera settings she wants for 2 types of photos she often takes. One should be set for a shutter speed of no less that 1/160, to prevent blurry kids or animals. The "auto" setting will often try to allow more light via a longer shutter, which is what she does not want.

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2012, 03:32 am »
I just want to say thank you everyone for the great input and suggestions.  I ended up buying a d7000 body for a nice deal and my wife the other day mentioned wanting a new camera again so figured it was the best bet lol. I also got her a manfrotto carbon fiber tripod with magnesium ballhead with quick release. 

Thank you all for the wonderful input!  Have a Merry Christmas!

Nocturne79

Very cool! The D7000 is an awesome camera. And the tripod will be great for macro work and landscape shots.

low.pfile

« Reply #27 on: 1 Dec 2012, 03:37 am »
you've done well Noc79! I am sure your wife will enjoy it. happy holidays.

Nocturne79

« Reply #28 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:22 am »
Thank you all, everyone has been such an amazing wealth of information and help and I really appreciate it!

Merry Christmas to all