Opinion on Monolthic PS-1 options

ol'goat

« on: 7 Feb 2003, 11:46 pm »
I just signed up at HD and discovered everyone was moving here. Kinda like going to the wrong house for a party?  

Either way, I am putting my post here as well if you all don't mind.
Hi
I'm new to this forum and am considering purchase of the Monolithic PS-1. I want to step slowly here and I was wondering, given the following two options which might be the better initial bet.

1) PS-1 with HC-1 power supply
2) PS-1 with Dan Wright Mod (no HC-1 power supply)

If it all sounds good enough I would upgrade to the whole enchilada (PS-1 with mods and HC-1) but that would not be right away.

I am running a Linn LP-12 with ClearAudio Aurum Beta S on Ittok lvii arm
into a Linn 5103 into LK-85's actively bi-amping Ninkas. (Yeah I like Linn and No I can't afford the Linto!)

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I have enjoyed reading a number of posts here and I find the manufacturing areas very interesting.

Thanks.
Tim

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2003, 12:34 am »
Well I can't really say that I have compared many phono stages so it is difficult for me to compare it to others but I really like mine.  I have the HC-1b power supply.  It is my opinion that the power supply is necessary.  I would get the power supply first and when you raised the dough mod the phono.  If you can solder I think you could mod the PS yourself since it is apparently a very simple object.    

my $.02
Josh

duff138

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2003, 03:30 am »
Post your question right in modwright forum here on Audio circle.  Dan would be able to answer you question the best.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2003, 11:48 pm »
I bought the plain vanilla Monolithic and 15 months later the outboard dual mono power supply.  Makes a BIG difference.  It also reacted positively to upgrading the stock cord to an Absolute Power Cord (plan to add a cryoed version in the future).

There is also an upgraded DC power cord for the Monolithic  and I plan to audition it, since they give a 30 day trial.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?cablintr&1049808784

I don't think there's anything out there under $1K that will outperform the Monolithic.  As for Danny Boy, I'm very happy with his work.  He modded my Swans M1 speakers and has a Marchand X9 electronic x-over that he's going to put Bybees, add high speed rectifiers and vapor cryo the circuit board.  He's very neat and detailed...

If I had the money I would just get this RIGHT AWAY:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?preatran&1044931573

This is the real deal.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2003, 11:59 pm »
FYI,

This power cord will not work with the Monolithic Phono, look at the pin arrangement and then look at the stock power cord on your monolithic, not the same.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2003, 12:10 am »
Thanks, Josh.  I'm pretty sure the guy will put the right connector for the phono stage...

There's a Monolithic that just came up for sale @ Audiogon:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatran&1049926054&2&3&4&

Price is right!

duff138

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2003, 04:11 am »
i would definitely by used or demo units.  I bought both the phono stage and power supply, both were demos.  That combo on audiogon is a great deal.  I've seen them both sell for a little less, but they usually last only a few hours before they're sold.
  If you buy used the money you save almost pays for any upgrade you get done on them.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2003, 04:16 am »
I got my preamp as a demo for $300 + tax and the power supply used (very rare to find) for $179 or so.   That price for both is good.

I do plan to get the DC power cord, send it to cryo along with the Absolute Power Cord for the power supply.  It will be very decent...