NOH with Remote Input Select

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« on: 16 Jun 2004, 01:47 am »
Hello!

Finally had time to button this up. This feature worked out really well. It allows the following:

1- The remote control handset (or a small switch at the front panel) can be used to select inputs from the listenning position.

2- There is a relay that toggles on a remote handset button. This can be wired for phase inversion via remote control on request.

3- The new source select wiring allows for ground isolation between all sources even in a system using xlr and rca inouts. The old input switching arrangement could only isolate grounds on rca only systems.

4- The remote select eliminates the input wiring from the back panel to the front panel.

Since this has worked out very well from an internal layout and also from a sonic point of view all future NOH pre-amps ordered will use the remote input select. The only exception will be one input (obviously!) and 2 input NOH pre-amps. The 2 input pre-amps will use toggle switches for source select as before.

All future NOH orders with more than 2 inputs will come with remote control. One and 2 input pre-amps can be fitted with remote control for level as they have been in the past

Any current multi-input NOH orders will be offered the remote input select at the same cost quoted for your NOH pre-amp. Current orders for kits can be made with remote inout select but we will need to build your NOH here - please call or e-mail and we can work out the details.

Many Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2004, 02:03 am »
John,

Did my NOH that just shipped out have the remote input capability?

Thanks,

George

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2004, 02:28 am »
Hello!

No it didn't. Yours has the shallco source selectors. Since the remote  is different from previous units I would not have done it without your knowing about it. If it is something you'll want just call and we'll figure out a plan.

Thansk!

John

RH

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2004, 07:19 am »
John,

Two of the biggest selling points of a purely passive preamp for me (besides the world class performance) has been the elimination of another power cord behind the messy stereo rack and hence the fact that one does not have to worry about using a preamp with the correct input voltage.  I occasionly take vacations to the Philippines which has 220 voltage and I like the fact that I could use the passive preamp here in the U.S. or the Philippines.  Will the NOH with 4 RCA + 2 XLR inputs and RCA + XLR outputs still be offered without remote control at a reduce price ($1700 minus cost of remote control)?  Or as an alternative, will the power supply (wall wart transformer?) which powers the preamp's volume level and selector switches be able to handle both domestic and foreign voltages.  For example, my hp printer as well as my Casio keyboard both run on wall wart transformers which can accept both foreign and domestic voltages (100-220V inputs).

PS. I have to push back my purchase of your NOH until July or August.

RH

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2004, 12:07 pm »
John,

I thought so...

Not a big deal since I don't really go back and forth too much between sources.  It is the remote volume control that I have become addicted to!  :lol:  :lol:

I can't wait to get the unit.  Looks like the Canadian post office is a little on the slow side and it won't be here until next Tuesday.   :cry:

George

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2004, 12:53 pm »
Hello!

zbar - Most folks do get up anyway when changing sources so the remote source has never been a 'must have' like remote volume is. Still I kept getting requests for it so here it is.....

RH - I should offer a special prize for putting off the delivery of your pre-amp- NOH problem there! I have been shipping 220V stuff for a while so it'd be no problem to get the transformers for 120V and for 220V. Those wide voltage range supplies are switching power supplies - noisy as hell from an electrical point of view.  I would not want to use that so 2 power supplies would be the way to go.

I am trying to standardize the NOH build a bit. The idea of each NOH being built for each customer has become a bit tricky to handle. It would be really nice for both planning here and also for customers if I could get to where I was pre-building them and had a stock here. Hard to imagine now but I will catch up and then this would be easy to do. I will still be able to build units with the old style rotary knobs for source selection but that would not be offered as a 'standard' product on the web page - it'd be a custom order. The standard arrangements will be one input, 2 inputs and 6 input (4 rca + 2 XLR).

Thansk!

John

J North

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2004, 03:51 pm »
John,

Great to hear that the remote input switcher works so well!

Question: can the same remote control unit be used to control both the volume and the input switching?

Thanks!

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2004, 07:14 pm »
Hello!

Yes the same remote handset runs both.

Thansk!

John

andrew

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2004, 12:53 pm »
Hi John,

Will you still be able supply the old volume-only remote for those of us who built the kit and were planning on a remote at a later date? Looking at your text I think that's the answer is yes, since you must have a volume only option for the 1 and 2 input, but it's always nice to check.

thanks

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2004, 03:47 pm »
Hello!

NOH problem adding the remote later any NOH Kit built. The remote section for volume is the same as it has been in the past units so the same boards and hardware are used for that now as well.

Thansk!

John

RH

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2004, 07:20 am »
John,

I'm still trying to figure out the best NOH configuration before placing an order and I have two questions;

1) The LO410 output transformer is a nice thing to have (presently for me not needed, in the future maybe) but will it degrade the sound quality as compared to a NOH without the LO410 output transformer?

2) If by any chance should the hand held remote be lost or damage could the NOH be operational manually by unplugging the power supply and turning the volume level and selector knobs manually?

RH

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2004, 03:14 pm »
Hello!

The LO410 output does not 'degrade' the sound - but if you intend on using the RCA outputs I would suggest 2 sets of rca outp[uts - one direct from the tx102's and then a secondary one fed from the 410's - this way when you use the rca output you can have the direct path from the tx102.  The LO410 output is surprizingly close to direct but I'd still feel better with the signal path as clean as possible.

The remote codes for the NOH are standard codes so you could use any universal. The default codes are for a Daewoo TV and by moving a jumper you can set for Sony TV codes. The Daewoo is standard since there is not a big chance of conflict with codes for other stuff in your room.

There is also a front panel button to change sources - but you do need power to the unit to activate the system to listen to any source.

Thansk!

John