Ipad Mini Disapointment

Don_S

Re: Ipad Mini Disapointment
« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2012, 01:53 am »
jarcher,

I already know some stuff. There are ways around most things but they are not always convenient.  I already knew using a cable for my camera is an option but a card reader is more convenient especially as part of a tower and not an external device competing for space with an external optical drive and WD backup hard drive.  Pieces and parts all over the place are not attractive to me. Adding a camera with short cable to the pile could be hazardous. I flunked blocks in kindergarten. Plugging in a memory card is fast, efficient, and safe.

I only took a quick glance at the back of a Mac Mini.  It looked like it was factory sealed for "their" protection. I don't want to mess with a Mac Mini to add more memory.  I did it with my laptop and two desktops and it was easy because they were designed to be user accessible.  I am not sure with the Mac Mini. Reasonably priced memory (8GB) is included with the HP.

Whether you realize it or not you are pushing me pretty hard toward Apple.  Please stop.

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2012, 02:07 am »
If you can open a jar of peanut butter, you can open a Mac Mini to add memory. The baseplate bayonets in place and releases with about 1/8 turn. The memory slots are right there. The original form factor mini, though, (white plastic top) was a notorious pain in the ass to do it.

That said, the rear panel SD card slot is inconvenient almost to the point of being useless.

skunark

« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2012, 02:09 am »
jarcher,

I already know some stuff. There are ways around most things but they are not always convenient.  I already knew using a cable for my camera is an option but a card reader is more convenient especially as part of a tower and not an external device competing for space with an external optical drive and WD backup hard drive.  Pieces and parts all over the place are not attractive to me. Adding a camera with short cable to the pile could be hazardous. I flunked blocks in kindergarten. Plugging in a memory card is fast, efficient, and safe.

I only took a quick glance at the back of a Mac Mini.  It looked like it was factory sealed for "their" protection. I don't want to mess with a Mac Mini to add more memory.  I did it with my laptop and two desktops and it was easy because they were designed to be user accessible.  I am not sure with the Mac Mini. Reasonably priced memory (8GB) is included with the HP.

Whether you realize it or not you are pushing me pretty hard toward Apple.  Please stop.
Look at the bottom, it's real simple to add memory on new models. 
http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/design.html

cujobob

« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2012, 02:28 am »
I have to disagree with a lot of the points Re: Mini vs. Nexus 7

The Nexus 7 has had a lot of QC issues, first off. So that in itself is a big deal.
The iPad Mini has better apps.
The iPad Mini will be supported for a longer period of time (huge issue with any Android product).

I have been in the market for a tablet for my mom and was considering the Nexus 7 but all of the QC issues kept me away. The learning curve and QC on Apple tablets is really unmatched. For a gift, that's essential. My issue with the iPad Mini is simply the lack of a retina display. Is it a huge deal? Perhaps not, but I'd hate to buy it knowing all of the future models will have much better screens. If anyone is in the market, the best device to buy right now is an iPad 3. If you have Meijers near you (not sure what states they're in), there was a deal where you could get a brand new iPad 3 for like $343 (I think you had to sign up for the credit card and buy it on a weekend or something...all of this is from threads on slickdeals.net )

Oh, and as for Apple Maps, I love it! It's missing a few roads near me which is annoying, but the turn by turn directions are the best I've encountered yet (and include directions even where the map doesn't show the roads). The integration with Siri makes using the GPS a true joy for me.

I was shocked to find out that the new iPad (4th gen) is faster than the new Nexus 10 which was slated to be an iPad killer this holiday season. Personally, I'd gladly spend an extra $100 and lose the SD slot to get an iPad over an Android based tablet. The Nexus has a slightly improved screen as far as resolution (not sure on colors and other factors), but if you've used one of the new iPads, I don't think you feel like you need even better resolution at the moment.

Lastly, I don't think the iPad Mini is a bad product by any stretch of the imagination. I think coming out as the only new major tablet without an HD quality screen might be a bit of an issue (because it costs more than those which do have it), though. The next iPad Mini might be mine. I love the 10" iPad that I have, but I'm curious as to whether I'd like the extra portability. Price is a big factor, obviously, but you're getting a better quality machine with the iPad Mini over the Nexus. The Nexus is an easier gift because of it's price, but it's not a perfect product. The Kindle Fire HD is not something I, personally, would ever consider. I saw deals on the first gen Nexus 7s with 8gb memory for like $170-ish which is quite a deal should you not require a lot of storage.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:14 am »

I did not realize that - my apologies - message received.

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2012, 05:39 am »

Am I confused?  The link above takes one to the Mac Mini.  I thought the thread was about the iPad Mini?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:06 am »
It is Phil, we just got temporarily side tracked on the Mac mini.  Please weigh in on the iPad mini if you have any thoughts - they would be welcome.

JohnR

« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:55 am »
Here, the iPad mini is $112 more than the (16 GB) Nexus 7 ($369 vs $257). So that's... 44% more.

And I do prefer the Android UI.

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2012, 09:12 am »
I dropped by the local office store to play with the Nexus 7 and yep, it's a Nexus. The screen as expected is not as vivid as some others so if you want photos to "pop" (in an artificial way) then it might not be your cup of tea. I've read that as an iTunes remote some prefer the Android version, so in all seriousness, what's not to like?

I'll see if the local Mac store has an ipad mini tomorrow.

Don_S

« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2012, 04:10 pm »
Interesting article on why the iPad Mini does not have a retina display.  Basically boils down to cost, battery life, form factor and weight of a larger battery.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-best-explanation-yet-why-154200441.html

Don_S

« Reply #30 on: 13 Nov 2012, 04:13 pm »
Thanks,  I get it.  Easier than adding memory to my laptop.  :thumb:

JohnR

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #32 on: 13 Nov 2012, 08:10 pm »
At the apple store I put the ipad mini side by side to the Ipad 4 w/ retina screen, and at least for e-book reading, the mini screen didn't seem that much worse.  On photos though the retina was obviously much higher resolution.

Perhaps not surprisingly the Nook's seemed to have the best screen / software for reading, but otherwise seemed to be far behind. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #33 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:27 am »
Went to buy tonight a Nexus 7 32GB 3G on google play website - was sold out after just two days :cuss:

This sort of thing was what I was hoping to avoid w/ the Ipad Mini waiting lists....

If anyone know where to buy the 3G version OTHER than the google store - would appreciate the tip.  Would like to get it before a mid December trip.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #34 on: 16 Nov 2012, 08:02 pm »
And sometime after midnight it was back in stock again...... :scratch:

Ordered a 7' one, then also looked at 10' models - better screen, lighter, 20% less than latest Ipad - what's not to like?

Guess I should be moving this out of the "Apple Core".......

I'm still a major Apple / Mac fan......but thanks Google / Asus / Samsung etc for finally putting Apple's feet to the fire.  Competition improves the breed.

dwk

« Reply #35 on: 17 Nov 2012, 12:16 am »
I played around with a Mini for a while, and thought it was great.  I've had a very similar 8" android tablet for a year or so (Archos 80 G9), and find the 8" size a great compromise between the slightly-too-small-for-browsing 7" and too-large-for-convenient-portability 10" tablets.  The iPad Mini outclasses the Archos in physical feel and presentation though - it was fantastic to hold in the hand.  IMHO it renders the iPad 2 completely redundant, and I can see many folks choosing it over a 10" due to handling and portability.

That said, I didn't buy one. I don't think the price is unfair in absolute terms, but it wasn't worth it as a 'sideways' move considering I already have something with very similar specs.

I surprised myself a bit, and got a Nook HD+. It wasn't on my radar initially, but I went to a BN store to get our e-ink Nook reset (changed the email addr on the acct, which prevented a software reset), and played with it for a while. Fantastic screen, 32GB storage, SD card slot all for $300, and enough smaller than the iPad/Nexus 10 to be more easily handled.  You have to be willing to live within the walled garden though, or else put in the relatively modest effort to sideload what you need and/or do the hacks/tweaks to get the market on it.  A fair trade off for me, since I have a fairly limited number of apps that cover my core usage.  The cpu is a bit pedestrian compared to the Nexus 10, but I don't game so I don't think it's going to be a huge factor for me.

chgolatin2

« Reply #36 on: 23 Nov 2012, 04:54 am »
I would love to get my hand on the iPad Mini but at $329~~  When the competition is selling products at $199, etc is just pointless to invest in Apple.  Yes, Apple products ROCK but the competition and the customers are truly getting tired of overpaying for products that should be priced competively.  Apple needs to rethink their strategy options and market better.  People are losing jobs, lack of employement, bad economic times and they simply don't care  :roll: Yes, hardwared maybe better than the option, more specs, processor etc but c'mon now these items are being made cheaply in China not in America, however, we have to pay American prices for them if not more...   :scratch:  Corporate greed and Capitalism at its greatest!

cujobob

« Reply #37 on: 23 Nov 2012, 05:16 am »
I would love to get my hand on the iPad Mini but at $329~~  When the competition is selling products at $199, etc is just pointless to invest in Apple.  Yes, Apple products ROCK but the competition and the customers are truly getting tired of overpaying for products that should be priced competively.  Apple needs to rethink their strategy options and market better.  People are losing jobs, lack of employement, bad economic times and they simply don't care  :roll: Yes, hardwared maybe better than the option, more specs, processor etc but c'mon now these items are being made cheaply in China not in America, however, we have to pay American prices for them if not more...   :scratch:  Corporate greed and Capitalism at its greatest!

I can't say that I agree. Google is trying to further it's brand by selling some of these devices at the prices they are. Plus, there are QC issues with all cheap tablets (especially the Nexus 7). Apple has rarely had QC problems, has the best tablet OS, and the design of each of their products really aren't matched. iPads and iPod Touches are sleek and very very well designed. People can, and will, vote with their wallets.

I would suggest you may want to not look at technology as simply a parts list slapped together by a company and instead look at the overall product they put out. The Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini are different machines with different strengths and weaknesses. Being made in China doesn't make things equivalent, either. The problem that AV123 had with its electronics was that they took the low-bid offers from companies with poor QC and they got screwed.

I'm repeating myself, sorry...I just don't think it's fair to say that Apple is screwing anyone when they're building really nice quality products at prices that aren't all that high. Remember, too, they sell a lot of iPod Touches...if they greatly undercut the price of the iPod Touch...then things get out of whack.

JohnR

« Reply #38 on: 23 Nov 2012, 05:29 am »
How is it that statements like "Apple has the best tablet OS" and "rarely has QC problems" can be made, supposedly as fact? I just had the hard drive in my iMac replaced by Apple (for free, not saying they didn't do the right thing), but it still runs very hot, and this is also the second one as the first one had a bad screen. Then there's the exploding phone batteries... All companies have QC problems, so what is the justification for the statement? As far as the OS, that would be a matter of opinion but I think Android is a much better user experience.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #39 on: 23 Nov 2012, 05:47 am »
I have to take issue w/ some of the previous comments, despite being a big Apple fan.  Unless it comes out that the % of Nexus 7 units shipped with issues is significant (say over 5-10%), I'm going to take reports of QC issues w/ Nexus 7 with a grain in salt. 

Secondly, returns & warranties exist to cover these contingencies.  I'd prefer to save a LOT even if I get a bad unit & return / replace w/ a fully functioning one.

Apple, on the other hand, to charge 50-90% more should have a product which is not only best of breed but a substantially more luxurious product.  Neither of these seem to be true w/ the Ipad Mini. I.e. poorer resolution, slower processor, etc.  Feel is OK - mainly because it's thin - but not some revolution.  Probably asking too much from a tablet.  But at that $, at least include some nice accessory or some extra, like a "luxury" brand would.

Some comments re: Nexus 7 after playing with it a day or two:

Pro : great screen, snappy processor / performance, built in speech to text pretty decent, and finger-swipe keyboard vs hunt & peck nice.

Con : organization is still to messy : too many ways to do the same thing.  It's a learning curve vs the iOS which is pretty easy & intuitive for all.  Fortunately you can reorganize the start screen w/ out too much hassle. 

Doesn't seem to have "universal" copy & paste : e.g. I could find a way to copy from Google maps, but then couldn't past into email (?).