New to Audio Circle from Mid Maryland!

ehoove

New to Audio Circle from Mid Maryland!
« on: 6 Nov 2012, 06:59 pm »
I joined a while back but thought I would introduce myself. I'm Jim and have been at and around audio since 1966 (when I was 16) Worked in audio from 1969 thru 1974. Sold sound reinforcement though 1978, then was partners in Golden Ear Audio Retail Audio shop till 1980. Iv'e been in the Automobile business since and am currently a VP/Gen. Mgr. of a GM dealership.

I got involved with refurbing/ modifing Thoren's tables and currently have a TD150/Jelco 750D/Denon DL103R, a TD160/ Pro-Ject 9cc/Sumiko Blackbird, a TD125/Magnapan Unitrac 1/Dynavector DV20x2m (VPI), and a TD126MkII currently under modification. I also have a Kenwood KD500/ Mayware Formula 4 MkII/Sonus Blue Gold in the current stable. I run 3 rigs, A Main, and 2 Vintage. I look forward to joining in the fun, and hope I can contribute some knowledge along the way.
Regards,
Jim

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: New to Audio Circle from Mid Maryland!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2012, 07:58 pm »
Welcome to AC!  You in the Balmer area?  Ever hear of "The Discerning Ear" that existing in that area about that time?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:13 pm »
Welcome to MAAC! 

Ever build a Thorens TD125 MKII with a Rabco SL8E arm?  One of my retirement projects! :)

ehoove

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:23 pm »
Welcome to AC!  You in the Balmer area?  Ever hear of "The Discerning Ear" that existing in that area about that time?

I'm just west of Frederick, and am familiar with The Discerning Ear.
Thanks for the welcome,
Jim

ehoove

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:25 pm »
Welcome to MAAC! 

Ever build a Thorens TD125 MKII with a Rabco SL8E arm?  One of my retirement projects! :)

I have rebuilt TD125 MkII's and have owned and rebuilt A Harmon Kardon ST8 which used the Rabco Arm, but never fiddled with the SL8e arm, though they are highly thought of foe high compliance cartridges.
Regards,
Jim

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:30 pm »
I'm just west of Frederick, and am familiar with The Discerning Ear.
Thanks for the welcome,
Jim

I used to be associated with The Discerning Ear, that was an offshoot of Sight 'n Sound up in BelAir.  Back in the old days.

ehoove

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2012, 09:11 pm »
I used to be associated with The Discerning Ear, that was an offshoot of Sight 'n Sound up in BelAir.  Back in the old days.

We are dating ourself here are we not!
Regards,
Jim

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2012, 09:20 pm »
Yep!   :thumb:

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2012, 10:39 pm »
Jim,
Welcome to the group.  Back in the day, I lusted after a Thorens TD-124 or 125.  Sorry we missed you at the meet at my place last month.  Maybe next time.  We listened mostly to computer-based digital audio, but I spend about half my time listening to vinyl on my Linn/Sumiko FT-3/Micro Benz Ace.  If you are ever headed to the Rockville, MD area send me a PM and maybe we could get together.
Rich

jtsnead

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2012, 10:55 pm »
Hi Jim,
Welcome! Even though I have not posted in a while, I was involved with audio retail in the 80's - 90's worked for Gramophone here in Baltimore. Had a Thorens at one time.
Was the The Discerning Ear the small shop on the main street in Frederick? That is where I heard
Proac Responce 2's on tube amps and it was very memorable. With your experience in TT/Tonearms you ever check out the Trans-Fi Terminator? I stopped trying different arms when I got this arm.
Would love to get together some time to see the tables you have.

r.wasserstrom, I had two versions of the Ace, very nice cartridge, kinda wish I kept it.
Let me know if you have a gtg also.

Regards,
JT

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:44 pm »
Discerning Ear was on Harford Rd (or Belair Rd, forget which) right at the Baltimore beltway. Remember going to an A-T cartridge and turntable clinic there (kind of the same concept as the McIntosh amp clinics) and a Roy Allison speaker demo. Good shop. Run by a gentleman named Eric Church.

ehoove

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:55 pm »
Hi Jim,
Welcome! Even though I have not posted in a while, I was involved with audio retail in the 80's - 90's worked for Gramophone here in Baltimore. Had a Thorens at one time.
Was the The Discerning Ear the small shop on the main street in Frederick? That is where I heard
Proac Responce 2's on tube amps and it was very memorable. With your experience in TT/Tonearms you ever check out the Trans-Fi Terminator? I stopped trying different arms when I got this arm.
Would love to get together some time to see the tables you have.

r.wasserstrom, I had two versions of the Ace, very nice cartridge, kinda wish I kept it.
Let me know if you have a gtg also.

Regards,
JT

Our Shop in Frederick was Golden Ear Audio. the Discerning Ear was in Baltimore if I remember correctly. Drop me a line and we can get together for an afternoon or evening of Music. :^) I'll check out that arm!
Regards,
Jim