DIY Bookshelf Speaker capable of BIG BASS

cheap-Jack

Re: DIY Bookshelf Speaker capable of BIG BASS
« Reply #20 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:34 pm »
Hi.

The sealed box version only needs .35 cubic feet of air space. And with the servo control they are capable of playing to a -3db down of 20Hz.

So there is an example of really low extension in a really small box.

So there is a huge string attached to it in order to to get down so low HZ in a small box - driven by a special built brandname servo power amp. So more money to spend!

Money talks.

c-J 

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 6 Nov 2012, 09:27 pm »
Hi.
So there is a huge string attached to it in order to to get down so low HZ in a small box - driven by a special built brandname servo power amp. So more money to spend!

Money talks.

c-J

I was just giving you that as an example. I could design a 5" woofer that will play down to a -3db of 20Hz, but who would use it? The sensitivity would be so low that it wouldn't be usable. No free lunch. Really low extension is no problem in a small box, but sensitivity is going to go away.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #22 on: 6 Nov 2012, 09:50 pm »
Hi.
I was just giving you that as an example. I could design a 5" woofer that will play down to a -3db of 20Hz, but who would use it? The sensitivity would be so low that it wouldn't be usable. No free lunch. Really low extension is no problem in a small box, but sensitivity is going to go away.

Right, you have said it. "who would use it?" The idea of a miniture boxed loudspeaker to do down to subsonic is not practical to every Joe Blow down the road.

All roads lead to Rome. Why should we have to fight a hard way? Why don't we just add a powered sub to do the job decently? No need to go thru the hazzle of spending big bucks to add a monster power amp to drive a custom-made miniature loudspeaker to get the same subsonic result!

FYI, my 2-way bookshelvers can't give me the right subsonic pedal notes of pipe organs. With a 100W sub, I can now enjoy the jaw-dropping clean deep bass notes of pipe organs. Then I started to realize how much bass music I missed in the pass without the supplement of an active sub.

The solution is so simple & easy.

c-J

mykyll2727

« Reply #23 on: 6 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm »
I had a bunch of 8" servo subs made for open baffle applications. See them here: http://gr-research.com/sw-12-08-1.aspx

In that same batch run they also made 4 ohm and 8 ohm lower Q versions for sealed boxes. Rythmik has them in stock right now. We went in together on the order to share the 500 piece minimum.

The sealed box version only needs .35 cubic feet of air space. And with the servo control they are capable of playing to a -3db down of 20Hz.

So there is an example of really low extension in a really small box.

Guys, forgive my ignorance here, but are these drivers only usable with the servo amps? Or can they be used with any amplification?

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:36 pm »

Guys, forgive my ignorance here, but are these drivers only usable with the servo amps? Or can they be used with any amplification?

If you want to take advantage of their capabilities then you have to use them with the servo amps. And we will have new servo amps out just for the new 8" woofers.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #25 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:03 am »
If one servo amp can run 3 of the new 8" servo subs can you put all of them in one sealed box? And if so, do they all need to face the same direction or could you put one on each side and one in the front or back?

Are 3 of the 8" servo subs comparable to 2 of the 12" subs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:33 am »
If one servo amp can run 3 of the new 8" servo subs can you put all of them in one sealed box? And if so, do they all need to face the same direction or could you put one on each side and one in the front or back?

Are 3 of the 8" servo subs comparable to 2 of the 12" subs?

You can run three of the SW-8-16FR woofers on one amp.

You can put them in a large sealed box if you want. There is nothing to gain by facing one the other way when using a sealed box.

Two 12's will still have more output especially in the lowest ranges, but the 8's will be a little faster.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 7 Nov 2012, 01:03 am »
You can run three of the SW-8-16FR woofers on one amp.

You can put them in a large sealed box if you want. There is nothing to gain by facing one the other way when using a sealed box.

Two 12's will still have more output especially in the lowest ranges, but the 8's will be a little faster.

OK, thanks Danny, I was thinking more about box shape regarding what side to put them on and wondering if there is a disadvantage to facing them different directions?

Don't the servo amps for the 12" subs only allow for one?

What size would the sealed box need to be to accommodate 3 of the 8" servo subs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 7 Nov 2012, 01:10 am »
OK, thanks Danny, I was thinking more about box shape regarding what side to put them on and wondering if there is a disadvantage to facing them different directions?

Don't the servo amps for the 12" subs only allow for one?

What size would the sealed box need to be to accommodate 3 of the 8" servo subs?

The servo amps will accommodate an impedance down to 4 ohms. So it can handle 3 of the 16FR drivers (8's or 12's).

Our 8's need at least .7 cubic feet per woofer sealed.  Brian's lower Q version only needs .35 cubic feet per woofer. He has 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions.

srb

« Reply #29 on: 7 Nov 2012, 03:13 am »

It would be a more difficult box build, but I think it might be interesting to put them in an hexagonal enlosure with a force-cancelling 120 degrees spacing ala Martin Logan Depth i/Descent i or Paradigm Sub 1/Sub 2.  Because they would be sealed without a sound eminating port, it would seem it might vary the propogation of bass waves a bit - but more importantly they would look pretty cool!

Steve

ebag4

« Reply #30 on: 7 Nov 2012, 03:55 am »
After communicating with Danny a bit off line I think I am going to build the Eminence Alpha 8/GR-T6 speaker.  Danny says it will handle abuse pretty well and it will get abused by numerous Rap tracks.  This is what I have in mind:

Other ideas are welcome.

Best,
Ed

TrungT

« Reply #31 on: 7 Nov 2012, 04:13 am »
^^^^^
Greet ideal, looking good.  :thumb:

persisting1

« Reply #32 on: 7 Nov 2012, 08:41 am »
I agree with srb,

Go big or go home  :wink: :rock:

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 8 Nov 2012, 01:11 am »

It would be a more difficult box build, but I think it might be interesting to put them in an hexagonal enclosure with a force-cancelling 120 degrees spacing ala Martin Logan Depth i/Descent i or Paradigm Sub 1/Sub 2.  Because they would be sealed without a sound eminating port, it would seem it might vary the propogation of bass waves a bit - but more importantly they would look pretty cool!

Steve

Steve,

Those do look really cool, so it looks like I shouldn't have a problem putting the sub drivers on different sides of the box. I'm looking at a rectangular low profile shape that would sit below a stand mounted mtm design.