VR-100XS to debut next month!

gammajo

Re: VR-100XS to debut next month!
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:49 am »
Bob - now I know what it would take to make me part with my VR5 Anni Mk2's, lotto + win = VR-100XS!

SundayNiagara

« Reply #21 on: 30 Dec 2012, 10:28 pm »
Any news on the delivery?

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #22 on: 7 Jan 2013, 08:06 pm »
Dear Mr. Von Schweikert,

First of all… I really like your loudspeaker designs. With the recent release of the new VR-100XS system, I was wondering if and if so, what are the biggest audiophile changes compared with one of your other ultimate loudspeaker designs, namely the VR10 MK II from a couple years ago?

Best regards,

Jean

kernelbob

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:42 pm »
The VR100XS speakers will be presented at the Axpona audio fest in Chicago, March 8 to 10.  I'll get mine installed shortly after that.

Regarding changes in speaker designs, the VR100 was designed to give the benefits that a large vertical array (ala VR11) in a smaller package.  That allows the drivers to be placed somewhat closer together which in turn allows a closer listening position and to work in smaller rooms than the VR11 requires.

The drivers are extend the performance of the magnesium woofers of the VR5 through the VR11 up through the midrange.  The new ribbon tweeter provides the speed to mate well with very fast midranges (and fast woofers) while still extending into the ultrasonic region.  Note that another ribbon tweeter is used in the rear along with a soft dome tweeter/midrange unit.

At the moment I'm using VR-6 speakers.  I remember comparing them with the VR-5's that until recently I had been using.  It was interesting to hear that the 6's had a consistent, balanced presentation that is still satisfying.  It was only when I got the VR-5's that I could hear how the 5's were faster, top to bottom and more revealing.  The 5's didn't make the 6's sound bad, only that the 5's did what the 6's did, but with more speed and resolution.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of technology advancements and my knowledge is that of an interested customer.  Albert's post at the top of this thread goes into much more detail-- more detail that I've seen from any other manufacturer discussing a new product.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:47 pm »
Me and the mrs. will be attending AXPONA in March and very much looking forward to spending time with Albert and Damon...oh and auditioning the VR100s  :thumb:

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jan 2013, 07:28 pm »
The VR100XS speakers will be presented at the Axpona audio fest in Chicago, March 8 to 10.  I'll get mine installed shortly after that.
Hi Kernelbob,

Congratulations with purchasing your VR100XS's! :D I'm very close to a deal wrt the VR10 MK-II's, but is very hard to find anything on the Internet about these speakers.
Therefore my question although I'm sure that the newest version are better (but at this point for me unreachable).

Best regards,
Jan

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:40 pm »
Your best bet would be to call VSA and talk with Albert or Damon regarding the 10s....good luck.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #27 on: 25 Jan 2013, 09:23 am »
You can always call me Jan.

Regards from Cor

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #28 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:05 am »
Hello Jan, thanks for joining the VSA Owners Club here at Audio Circle!  The basic theme of a point-source concentric array system is used in the VR-10, VR-11 and VR-100.  The VR-10Mk2 that you have seen is a home theater "budget" version of the VR-11SE.  We used less expensive drivers and cabinet technology to achieve the lower price, but the VR-10Mk2 are still good enough to beat many brands of speakers selling for $150,000/pr (seriously!).  The lowering of the cost of the VR-10Mk2 was mostly cosmetic, and while it is true that the VR-10Mk2 is not physically Time Aligned and uses less expensive drive units and crossover parts, the basic "sound" quality is still amazing.  On the used market, a pair of VR-10Mk2 is like getting a used Ferrari in great condition for the price of a Volkswagen!
I hope you get to purchase them, they are a very fine speaker system.

Happy Listening,
Albert

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #29 on: 1 Feb 2013, 08:56 am »
You can always call me Jan.

Regards from Cor

Hi Cor,

Thanks for your offer. I think we spoke to each other about 3 weeks ago :D.
But if I have additional questions, I will definitely call again (especially as… see my comments to the answer of Albert)

Best regards,

Jean

Hello Jan, thanks for joining the VSA Owners Club here at Audio Circle!  The basic theme of a point-source concentric array system is used in the VR-10, VR-11 and VR-100.  The VR-10Mk2 that you have seen is a home theater "budget" version of the VR-11SE.  We used less expensive drivers and cabinet technology to achieve the lower price, but the VR-10Mk2 are still good enough to beat many brands of speakers selling for $150,000/pr (seriously!).  The lowering of the cost of the VR-10Mk2 was mostly cosmetic, and while it is true that the VR-10Mk2 is not physically Time Aligned and uses less expensive drive units and crossover parts, the basic "sound" quality is still amazing.  On the used market, a pair of VR-10Mk2 is like getting a used Ferrari in great condition for the price of a Volkswagen!
I hope you get to purchase them, they are a very fine speaker system.

Happy Listening,
Albert

Dear Albert,

Thank you for your explanation and spending time on a ‘newbie’ on this forum like me. It is good to know that you indicate that the VR10-system is a member of the same ‘point-source concentric array system’ group as the VR11 and VR100 convincing me that I really have experienced something very, very special. Hope that, in the near future, I have the opportunity also to experience the VR100’s after having intensively listened to the VR-10’s in my own dedicated room. Yes(!) I herewith confirm that I came to an agreement with the current owner of the VR10-system and that the system will stay in the Netherlands. Furthermore, as it took me four years to finish my own dedicated listening room (‘Confidence Mansion’) last year (which was built ‘without any compromise’) I’m very, very excited how this ‘Ferrari’ will perform on my racetrack ;-). Now considering renaming it into (‘Von Schweikert’s Mansion’).

Best regards,

Jean

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 1 Feb 2013, 05:47 pm »
Pictures Jean...PICTURES!

neekomax

« Reply #31 on: 1 Feb 2013, 07:16 pm »
Pics or it didn't happen.

Oh wait, it hasn't happened yet  :lol:

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #32 on: 1 Feb 2013, 07:33 pm »
Pictures Jean...PICTURES!
Pics or it didn't happen.
Oh wait, it hasn't happened yet  :lol:
Thanks for asking! As this topic is about the VR-100XS's I post two pic below and will not further polute this topic anymore :)

For more pics and some explanation (in English) of what I did the last four years, see e.g. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/316902/building-confidence-mansion
For an impression of all the steps and why it took so long; see http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=75065.0 (text in Dutch, sorry)

When de VR10's arrived, time for an update!

Best regards, Jean

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 1 Feb 2013, 08:07 pm »
Very nice Jean but the VR100s will blow those Dynaudio's outta da water!  :thumb:

steve f

« Reply #34 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:40 am »
My son and I are looking forward to visiting VSA at Axpona next month.

Steve

SundayNiagara

« Reply #35 on: 9 Feb 2013, 09:34 pm »
Why aren't the '100s ever shown with the subs?

kernelbob

« Reply #36 on: 9 Feb 2013, 10:08 pm »
The XS subs are designed to be placed across the listening room from the towers, at or behind the listening position.  The 24" subwoofer cubes use new technology to work with the towers to neutralize/correct room response peaks and dips.  The full VR100XS system including subwoofers will be performing at Axpona in March.  I'm sure there will be lots more pictures (I'll be taking some myself at Axpona).

SundayNiagara

« Reply #37 on: 9 Feb 2013, 10:50 pm »
Anyone with pix of the subs?

JackD201

« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2013, 01:21 pm »
Beautiful Jean! Welcome to the forum!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2013, 03:54 pm »
Beautiful system and room Jean. I too am looking forward to hear Alberts new system at Axpona and will be visiting the room on a regular basis since we have a component in the system.
 Maybe we'll run into each other.
Enjoy the show.