where can I get a fuse replacement for my tube amp?

martyj

« on: 13 Jun 2004, 12:44 am »
 I recently had a fuse blow on my amp.  When I pulled the fuse it's rated at 6.3amp Fastblo for 110-120VAC. I've looked at Radio Shack's site and also Parts Express.  I've found fuses that are rated at 6 amps.  Am I being too :?:  :nono:  exact in assuming that the manufacturer would state what's needed?  It seems that 6 and 6.3 are pretty close, but I don't think I should settle for close.  

thanks for your help in advance,

Marty

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2004, 01:10 am »
just so ya don't go *over* the mfr's recommendation, ya will be fine.  only problem w/6.0 vs 6.3 is that it will blow a hair sooner.  i would use it & not worry.  ya may find exact at lowes, home depot, etc...  and, ya can always order direct from mfr, to get extras while using the 6.0's...

doug s.

Steve

Yes
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2004, 03:54 am »
Like Doug said, I would rather have it blow sooner than later. A little more protection, Marty.

Take care.
Steve

martyj

replacement fuse
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2004, 04:08 am »
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just so ya don't go *over* the mfr's recommendation, ya will be fine. only problem w/6.0 vs 6.3 is that it will blow a hair sooner. i would use it & not worry. ya may find exact at lowes, home depot, etc... and, ya can always order direct from mfr, to get extras while using the 6.0's...

doug s.

Doug thanks for the feedback.  This is my first tube amp and I did not want to jeapordize the amp.  I love the texture, the musicality and voices are great!  thanks,

Marty

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2004, 04:08 am »
Talking about fuse's...I'd be willing to bet that quite a few of us on this site don't have a spare one handy. :? .... (and I'm one :oops: )

martyj

replacement fuses
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2004, 04:10 am »
Like Doug said, I would rather have it blow sooner than later. A little more protection, Marty.

Take care.
Steve

:D thanks Steve, it's always good to get confirmation.  

Marty

eico1

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2004, 04:30 am »
problem is, why did the fuse blow? Ask your dealer or the manufacturer about it.

steve

martyj

replacement fuse for amp
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2004, 01:20 pm »
Quote from: eico1
problem is, why did the fuse blow? Ask your dealer or the manufacturer about it.

steve

Steve i think it might have been a nearby lightening hit during a thunderstorm,

i travel almost every week for work, I came back from a trip and turned the amp on to warm up. I never looked at the power light.  I then found that the amp was not turning on, so I check connections and then the fuse.  It was blown.

Hoping the amp is not fried!

Steve

fuse blown
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2004, 08:11 pm »
Hi Marty,

Yes it could easily have been a lightning stike close by or simply a weird voltage spike. The real test is when you install the new fuse and see if it blows right away. If it does, most likely a problem inside the chassis. If not, probably just a fluke.

Take care.
Steve

martyj

replacement for fuse in my tube amp
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2004, 11:23 pm »
Huge sigh of relief :!:  :D  I drove around the town I live in and visited 2 Radio Shacks and a Lowes.  It's weird, that on-line, the Lowes site said they didn't have the fuse I was looking for.  I took a chance and drove over there anyway.  Sometimes logic isn't the answer.  No one had a 6.3a, but Lowes had a Fast Blow 6.0.  

Thinking of Lonewolf's lament, I didn't want to be so fuseless again.  I bought 3. Thanks for the idea Lonewolf.

Now all I have to do is get rid of the hum...but that's another day. Thanks for all the replys and assurance.

Great Group here!

Marty

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: replacement for fuse in my tube amp
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2004, 02:02 am »
Quote from: martyj
...Now all I have to do is get rid of the hum...but that's another day....

mebbe today?   :wink:   you mite have a ground loop hum on one piece of equipment.  easiest way to check, is to buy a coupla "cheater" plugs, the kind that allow ya to plug a 3-prong plug into a 2-slot outlet.  start by plugging yer (3-prong?) amp into it.  then, try other pieces of equipment...  one of my amps (toobed mesa baron) has an isolation switch on it, that basically does the same thing at the amp's iec - it connects/disconnects the ground wire...

doug s.

martyj

Re: replacement for fuse in my tube amp
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2004, 03:17 am »
Quote from: doug s.
Quote from: martyj
...Now all I have to do is get rid of the hum...but that's another day....

mebbe today?   :wink:   you mite have a ground loop hum on one piece of equipment.  easiest way to check, is to buy a coupla "cheater" plugs, the kind that allow ya to plug a 3-prong plug into a 2-slot outlet.  start by plugging yer (3-prong?) amp into it.  then, try other pieces of equipment...  one of my amps (toobed mesa baron) has an isolation switch on it, that basically does the same thing at the amp's iec - it connects/disconnects the ground wire...

doug s.

originally I thought it was interference from Cable TV. i moved the set up into my office (my tastes in music don't match my wifes, so it's less of a hassle to listen with the door closed).  Now all I have is a surge protector to which I connected my Music Hall MMF-CD25 and my Jolida 302B.  I then plugged the surge protector into the wall.  I've had this hum in my left channel since I bought the amp on audiogon.  I think last time I tried the 2 prong plug routine, it diminished the hum, but didn't eliminate it.   :?:

Thanks for the suggestions, Doug.  I should definitely try it again.  I'm hoping that this hum isn't damaging the amp.

martyj