Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

Freo-1

I had the SS mod on the 95 and it was really worthwhile. Of course the tube mod is better but even the SS was a significant upgrade. It made the 95 less edgy or sterile. Bass was more solid and refined too.
If you can't swing the tubes, the SS is a must have IMO
I have both the 95 and the 105 in house.  The SS mod did help the 95, but honestly, the 105 is better overall stock out of the box, to the point it is simply not worth it.
Hats off  to Dan for looking out for his customers on this issue.  One of the reasons I will continue to support Modwright.

dminches

There is a pic here http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright11/3.html

People should be getting this mod even if it is just for the cool factor.  What's the point of having tubed equipment if you can't show off the tubes?

JG2

David,

With a pair of 6F8G's poking out of the player and a 596 rectifier in your PS, your setup is going to look VERY cool......and sound great as well!

Freo-1

I was curious about the 6F8G tube for the 95.  Looks like an adapter is required to use it. 

For now, the 5931 rectifier and 5692 CBS tubes are providing a life like sound playback.  Currently listening to the Cream 2005 reunion on DTS Master Audio, and one feels like they are in the Royal Albert Hall.  Hard to beat that!   :lol:

JG2

Not a great photo but this gives you an idea of the 6F8G w/ adapter

Freo-1

Not a great photo but this gives you an idea of the 6F8G w/ adapter

Cool!  Thanks for posting that.  May have to try a pair.

JG2

Here is a link to a guy who has tried quite a few and HIS opinion:

I have Tung Sol round plates and National Union round plates. They are both very nice tubes. The 'round plates' are though to be the best but who knows for sure?

Freo-1

Thanks for posting.  Always entertaining to read opinions. 

It never ceases to amaze me how different opinions can be about using the same tubes in the same unit, all based on the playback system as a whole.

talk2me

I really like the Philips 5AR4GYS from Holland. :thumb:

dminches

What is the difference between a 5R4GY and a 5AR4?

jfz

I'm curious if anyone is connecting their cable box to the 105, and using the latter's DA conversion instead of the cable box's (or instead of the TV).  Theoretically, it should sound better, but who knows with the compromised quality of the audio coming from the cable company.

Anyone?

dart6

hi can anyone comment on the comparison between the modded 95 and the modded 105 thx

jfz

dart6,
Go to page 10 and check out the link I posted there.

Cyberbod

hi can anyone comment on the comparison between the modded 95 and the modded 105 thx
What I would like to know is how the modded 95 with the new 9.9 PS compares to the 105. I have the new PS on my 95. It is not a subtle improvement. Given that the 105 and 95 have the same DACs and the tube circuit board is identical (with some components swapped out), I suspect the sound is quite close.

rlmacklin

I ordered and received a Sophia Electric 274b tube [Dan conferred with Sophia Electric personnel and they determined the rigid plate version (160mA) would be better than the mesh plate version (90mA) for use in the ModWright PS 9.9] and then the ModWright PS 9.9 arrived and both went into my system powering fully modded Oppo 95 player on April 30.  I concur that the PS 9.9 (over the PS 9.0) with the ModWright Oppo 95 is not a subtle improvement, but a significant improvement that takes the music to another level yet.
 :D

modwright

Those who have had both Oppo 95 and Oppo 105 can certainly chime in here.

The new PS 9.9 will improve the sound of the Oppo 95.

The Oppo 105 also has a significant number of improvements to the digital supplies to the DAC, overall build quality and I would expect changes to the DSP and designs, but I cannot comment there.

I DID compare the Oppo 95 and Oppo 105 with the new supply personally and felt that the improvement was far from subtle.  The 105 is simply more natural and resolving.  It is a beautiful sounding player!

Thanks, I hope this helps.

Hello from Munich! (May 8).

Dan

NutBuster

Here is a link to a guy who has tried quite a few and HIS opinion:

I have Tung Sol round plates and National Union round plates. They are both very nice tubes. The 'round plates' are though to be the best but who knows for sure?
Weird that all the tubes reviewed had a "forward/in your face" soundstage!
Not why i listen/invested in tubes!!

JG2

These 6F8G tube comparisons were from a Head-Fi member and perhaps the 'forward soundstage' is more so when using headphones, don't know. This is the opinion of one man who happened to have this extensive collection of 6F8G tubes and took the time to describe the similarities and differences as HE heard them.

IMO, the Tung Sol & National Union 6F8G's are great sounding tubes and I do not find the soundstage to be 'forward / in your face' while using either of these tubes in the Oppo 105, 95 or Sony 5400 for that matter.

Again, one man's opinion...............YMMV

dminches

I concur.

Wig

I can't wait to hear the PS 9.9 with my MW Sony 5400 and I know it's going to sound magnificient!

Wig  :D