Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

ttsakai

It would be great if someone would quantify the performance improvements in several use cases involving the 95 and 105.

Such as:
1. ModWright 95 vs. Oppo 105
2. ModWright 95, new PS vs. Oppo 105
3. ModWright 95 vs. ModWright 105
4. ModeWright 95, new PS vs. ModWright 105

Current owner of a ModWright 95 with ByBee rail and AudioMagic and I'm trying to determine what type of performance delta I'm looking at versus the 105.

Thanks!

roadkingraw

The only person that is going to be able to answer that one honestly would be Dan himself. 

NutBuster

It would be great if someone would quantify the performance improvements in several use cases involving the 95 and 105.

Such as:
1. ModWright 95 vs. Oppo 105
2. ModWright 95, new PS vs. Oppo 105
3. ModWright 95 vs. ModWright 105
4. ModeWright 95, new PS vs. ModWright 105

Current owner of a ModWright 95 with ByBee rail and AudioMagic and I'm trying to determine what type of performance delta I'm looking at versus the 105.

Thanks!
If you read "all" of Dan's posts on 95, 103, & 105 [since the 105 has been released & Dan got both units in the 100 series] threads you will get an answer too most of your Q's.
I never saw a #4 tho!

roadkingraw

I think if you read about the comparison of the 103 to the 105 both modded and unmodded you will note the 105 is the better of the two.  Since the 105 comes with the new power supply and Modwright umbilical it is pretty safe to assume that the modified 105 is better than a 95 with the new power supply.  However, if you want a step up with your fully modified 95, then the new power supply added to your unit (95) is the way to go without having to purchase a new player (105) and have it modified.  In the end costing you $500 for the new PS versus over $3300 for new player and modifications.  However since we, as audiophiles, always quest more of the holy grail of sound perhaps the need for new and better sound will only be satisfied by new and better equipment. :thumb:

jfz

abernardi

I don't want to take this off topic, but I think it applies.  I think the determining factor for me on whether to go this route or not would come down to the performance of the DAC.  I have no doubt the ModWright mods will squeeze every ounce of potential out of the 105, but you are still locked into the Oppo implementation of a Sabre DAC.  I don't see the point of modding this unit if I'm using it only as a transport.  This is designed to be used as a transport/DAC and also a stand-alone DAC for some other transport, i.e. a PC/Mac/other. 

We all know that there is much more to a DAC than the chip.  The Sabre is all the rage, but I've heard lousy Sabre based DACs (I know, the Sabre is sooo 2012! :roll:)   

The problem is I don't really understand what really goes into a good DAC, so to me it might as well be magic.  Every really good DAC out there has a specific approach to create their magic - upsampling, NOS, expensive opamps, no opamps, simple, complex, mystery chips, etc.  You only have to go over to 6moons to find enough detailed explanations to boggle anyone's mind.  Every reviewed DAC will tell you in excruciating detail what their unique approach is.  Yet I have found no info concerning the Oppo approach, only that it's that "state of the art" Sabre 9018.  If anyone can point me to any info, please do.

So for me it comes down to, does the Oppo DAC rival something like a Lampizator, Metrum Hex, Bryston's new DAC, Eximus, ModWright's own LS100 (which I've heard great things about), etc, etc... I don't know, the DACs ranging from $1,500 - $5000 let's say.  Where does this box fall on that scale?

I'm sorely tempted because this is a spectacular all around machine, and with the mods it could be world class - IF - the DAC is equal to the task.

dminches

So for me it comes down to, does the Oppo DAC rival something like a Lampizator, Metrum Hex, Bryston's new DAC, Eximus, ModWright's own LS100 (which I've heard great things about), etc, etc... I don't know, the DACs ranging from $1,500 - $5000 let's say.  Where does this box fall on that scale?

Only yours ears can answer that question.

talk2me

Only yours ears can answer that question.

Yes indeed. And my ears tell me my ModWright 105 is one of the best, if not the best, source units I have heard in my system. :thumb:

teetee

talk2me,
have you try to use the internal DAC of 105 hook up as USB DAC for computer or any other digital sources. By any chance you can compare 105's DAC to any DAC out there?

Phil A

talk2me,
have you try to use the internal DAC of 105 hook up as USB DAC for computer or any other digital sources. By any chance you can compare 105's DAC to any DAC out there?

There is a recent review of the 105 at everythingaudio.net that did that.

talk2me

talk2me,

Yes, with  my MacBook Pro. I listened to my iTunes and MOG. Outstanding!

teetee

thanks Phil A and talk2me for the information.

ckunstadt

Well, I can compare the Oppo and Wyred4Sound DAC-2 as DAC/Preamps. It would be cleaner to compare them with the same preamp... but I don't have one (yet).
So, as a DAC/preamp... the Oppo crushes the W4S.  I have only 80-ish hours on it. The soundstage is much deeper and a bit wider on the Oppo vs. the W4S. It's also smoother and more musical. The bass is probably the biggest change in that the Oppo goes much lower and gives more apparent bass. It's freaking-awesome as a DAC through USB from my Mac Mini and Audirvana+ (integer mode).  It also sounds nice playing off a thumb drive... but I think it's a little flat compared to USB. I have not tried any other DAC connection.
My amp is a Pass Labs X250 and speakers are Salk HT3 with RAAL tweeter.

Of course my experience is with a STOCK Oppo BDP-105. Hard to imagine Dan's hot-rodded version but maybe in a couple months I'll get to hear it for myself.

ajayrav

I can compare using my ART modded Squeezebox duet into the OPPO coaxial input , Bel canto DAC 3 spdif input or Bolder modded Eastern Electric DAC.  With The Bel Canto, it is close and just the matter of an altered presentation.  The Oppo is more extended in both frequency extremes and airier sounding.  It also sounds more detailed.  The Bel canto is more organic and has a more liquid midrange.  The modded Eastern Electric DAC with the Pavane tube is significantly better on my rig.  Here I have all the detail along with the organic liquid mids I crave.  All of these comparisons are using standard rez FLAC files streamed to the Duet.  My amp is a PrimaLuna Dialogue one with cryo'd NOS signal tubes and Svetlana winged C EL34.  Speakers are ACI Sapphire XL and cabling is WyWires and Shunyata.  The EE uses Sabre DACs, so I can see Dan's rebuilt output stage potentially working wonders on the sound vis a vis the stock BDP 105.

Further, playing hi-rez through the Oppo (both SACD and streaming) is very good indeed, though I haven't used the USB connection yet.

Hope this helps....

Ajay
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2013, 02:19 pm by ajayrav »

abernardi

Thanks, this does help!

NutBuster

Don't buy an 105 too use as a transport, buy a 103.
I believe Dan was working on mod'ing the 103 into a transport only, don't know if he's continuing in that direction tho.

teetee

Thank you for the report ajayrav and ckunstadt
That helps what i am going to do with my Modwright tube OPP0 95, it will be up for sale.
Anyone interested?

SGK

The Results:

1) The LPS is a NO GO in the 103.  It runs too hot and the sonic benefits were simply not what I expected.  The enclosure is sealed, so there is no good way to reject heat.  Mr. Lee has designed a LPS that may be used in the unit.  I have tested and installed a 'Lee' LPS and it is a good design.  However, if you add Lee's LPS to a unit that we have modified, it WILL void our warranty.  I simply feel that the LPS generates too much heat for the 103.

Interesting.  I have a 'Lee' LPSU in my 103 and it doesn't even get warm after a week of solid running/burn-in, let alone hot. (Although I have removed the analogue section entirely and so I'm not drawing on the 15V (and have a little extra venting due to the holes in the back fascia where the analogue connections were).)

4) The 103 stock is NOT as good as the 105 stock!  The 105 is MUCH BETTER!

When run as a digital-only transport or analogue out?  I believe both models share the same main board and same transport. Is this incorrect?

talk2me

Interesting.  I have a 'Lee' LPSU in my 103 and it doesn't even get warm after a week of solid running/burn-in, let alone hot. (Although I have removed the analogue section entirely and so I'm not drawing on the 15V (and have a little extra venting due to the holes in the back fascia where the analogue connections were).)

When run as a digital-only transport or analogue out?  I believe both models share the same main board and same transport. Is this incorrect?

My 93 modded Dr. Lee did not get warm either. And the pq and sq was/is awesome.

ufokillerz

i know nothing about tubes

if i were to get a modwright bdp-105, where is a good place to start with tubes?

also i'm not sure if i missed it, are there any pictures available of the modwright bdp-105 with the external ps?