Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

NutBuster

Hi, the advantage to the new tube supply, for the Oppo 95, is the use of tube voltage regulators instead of SS voltage regulators.  I find that the soundstage is MUCH broader and deeper and the presentation more 3-Dimensional.  That is the biggest difference in the new power supply and it really DOES make a big difference.

Thanks,

Dan
If you could share the thought process of going specifically w/a pair of 13EM7 for the new PS, that would be great!
W/all the tube rollers around here, you sure came up w/a pretty obscure valve as far as NOS choices go. Although a much respected sounding dual triode.
Besides choosing the model of tube what if any tube rolling did you do?

modwright

To be honest, I have used the 6EM7 in our LS 36.5 'DM' with good results.  I contacted a tube supplier that I buy from in quantity and he said that he had SOME 6EM7's, but could access a large number of 13EM7's.  The 6EM7 uses a 6V filement, the 13EM7 uses a 12-13V filament and the 15EM7 uses a 15V filament.  I bought a large quantity of the 13EM7's, to insure that I would have a good stock with which to supply our design.

That is why.

Thanks,

Dan W.

teetee

Dan,
Do we need to order new tube power supply for Oppo 95 or we can send in our old power supply to upgrade
What is the price if we send in the old one for upgrade?

modwright

You can send in the old supply to have it upgraded, for $500 or purchase a new supply for $600.  The upgrade includes totally gutting the existing supply and installing all new circuitry, including an additional transformer for the regulator tubes.

It IS a very nice upgrade!

Thanks,

Dan

NutBuster

To be honest, I have used the 6EM7 in our LS 36.5 'DM' with good results.  I contacted a tube supplier that I buy from in quantity and he said that he had SOME 6EM7's, but could access a large number of 13EM7's.  The 6EM7 uses a 6V filement, the 13EM7 uses a 12-13V filament and the 15EM7 uses a 15V filament.  I bought a large quantity of the 13EM7's, to insure that I would have a good stock with which to supply our design.

That is why.
Makes $en$e!
Many a fine piece of audio gear has bitten the dust because of lack of parts.
[if my badd memory serves me right Oppo ceased making an SE cause of lack of chips]

I brought up a large quantity too, JJ... two pr each of a "GM Delco" [June 1960] (made for a '61 GM car radio/blows the mind!) & a "Sylvania" [fr: the '50's/possible for a TV!] (just fell hard for the Syl 6SN7 "Chrome-Top").
Just missED the delivery of my new PS tonight; I'm off tomorrow so should be able too grab it!

No reply requirED nor requestED. 

NutBuster

Dan,
Do we need to order new tube power supply for Oppo 95 or we can send in our old power supply to upgrade
What is the price if we send in the old one for upgrade?
If you send in a PS 9.5 you'll pay for shipping both ways.
If you buy the new PS 2B#later [maybe 9.9] you'll pay for shipping one way.
You may want too check shipping $$$ 1st & est. in your personal 'cost' of MWI mod'd 95 downtime [w/o any PS], IMO, YMMV.

teetee

Maybe it is better to sell my tube mod Oppo 95 and then get Oppo 105 tube mod.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
I did not want to be without the power supply , and was able to sell my old power supply after receiving the new one.
I can say this about the new power, it made a significant difference in my oppo se 83 from the single tube to the 3 tube power supply. The old power supply did not like 274 tubes, this new one is fine with them. I have not researched the regulators due to my opinion if the they are stable what could a new vintage tube do. The noticable thing to me was a gain difference between the tube power supplies, I realize there should not be one as this is power, but maybe the tube regulators do something to the power to signify a gain change.

NutBuster

... the 13EM7 uses a 12-13V filament and the 15EM7 uses a 15V filament...
Dan,
Do you then believe/think, as many do, that the 15EM7 is indeed a sub for the 13EM7?
Maybe it is better to sell my tube mod Oppo 95 and then get Oppo 105 tube mod.
teetee,
Just too be clear, I'm not saying sell your 95 instead of just buying a new PS.
However, if you can take the hit, the 105 w/o the fan & w/digital inputs does two-up the old model.
If I wasn't going too be dead in a yr... I'd do it myself, ha, ha!!
I did not want to be without the power supply , and was able to sell my old power supply after receiving the new one...
underdawg,
If I may ask, where did you sell the old PS 9.0?
BIG thanks!

teetee

If the DAC of Oppo 105 is as good of Dan's DAC, i am in. I will sell Oppo 95 and the DAC to fund 105.
Dan,
Any chance you can compare the Oppo 105 DAC to your DAC.

NutBuster

Not Dan:
If the DAC of Oppo 105 is as good of Dan's DAC, i am in. I will sell Oppo 95 and the DAC to fund 105.
Dan,
Dan didn't change the DAC's in the 95; nor the 105.
The Oppo 95 is "powered by two ESS Sabre32 Reference Digital-to-Analog Converters"
&
the Oppo 105 is "powered by two ESS Sabre32 Reference Digital-to-Analog Converters".

The MWI Tube Mod only modifies the analog output. Not the D/A conversion.

==============

underdawg,
Forgot too thank you for the review.
Besides taking "274 tubes" (and what's the BIG deal of that?) & "gain difference" any audio differences?

Hopefully tonight I'll be 'reviewing' it as well!!!

teetee

Nutbuster, I meant his own DAC in LS 100.

NutBuster

That's why I'm: "Not Dan"! :lol:

underdawg

• Industry Participant
I sold the power supply to a gentleman in utah I believe.
The 274 I have had laying around over the years and wanted to try since they were western electrics which i aquired basically free while working for at&t.
The 274 is different construction and just looks prettier lit up lol.
I could hear a gain difference between the two power supplies using same tube in each.
I dont get into describing sound to much but I do not have the critical ears for that.
I do sometimes hear differences sometimes and just give my brief findings.
I just enjoy the hobby, I listen to metal most of the time, maybe few other things such as females for voice testing, but I like it loud so my equipment must be able to perform at high levels which isn't the best for critical listening.

ttsakai

Dan,

How would you quantify the performance improvement that upgrading to the new power supply with the Modwright 95 provide?

What sound characteristics differences should one expect?

Thanks,
Tracy

talk2me

The 274 I have had laying around over the years and wanted to try since they were western electrics which i aquired basically free while working for at&t.
I could hear a gain difference between the two power supplies using same tube in each.
I dont get into describing sound to much but I do not have the critical ears for that.
I just enjoy the hobby, I listen to metal most of the time, maybe few other things such as females for voice testing, but I like it loud so my equipment must be able to perform at high levels which isn't the best for critical listening.

Those WE 274 are some expensive tubes!

NutBuster

I would dis-agree.
Too listen LOUD one MUST have good equipment!
Ha, ha!!

How did you get in touch w/the guy from Utah?

I didn't notice a gain gain; not anywhere near the gain going from unbalanced too balanced previously in my system anyway.

What's your fave metal band & have you found any metal ceedees that sound good?

NutBuster

ckunstadt

Dan,

I'd like to hear about this too. I can imagine it would be a tricky issue for Dan to talk about. But... yeah, I would want this $3500 player/DAC (used as a DAC) to sound substantially better than my $1500 DAC. I don't spin many audio discs.

Is there an approximate total height for the unit with, say, a tallish tube like a Ken Rad sticking out the top?? thanks