Is it just me or is there more and more builders of Planar or Electrostat's?

medium jim

To me is seems that there are more than ever before builders of Planars' and Electrostat's.  Many are hybrid's, but this still makes me think that the rest of the audiophile world is coming to the same conclusion that we who love our Planars' and Electrostat's have already figured out, they're simply the best types of speaker for the reproduction of music of all genre's.  As I'm writing this, I believe there are 4 different makers of said speakers being discussed in active threads.   

Jim

cab

So a group of recently departed are standing around heaven and notice a wall....They ask the angel, what's with the wall? He says "that's for those that like to think that their kind are the only ones up here."......

martyo

So a group of recently departed are standing around heaven and notice a wall....They ask the angel, what's with the wall? He says "that's for those that like to think that their kind are the only ones up here."......

:lol:   :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
How to get rid of the box-like sound?
Turn the room into the box.
Like most really clever ideas, it's just so obvious. 
Nothing's perfect but it really works for me and everyone else on this Circle.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
High-Q drivers in a box with a crossover in the voice band just can't compare to the speed and coherency of a low-Q planar singing in free air. 

cab

I like planars too. I am currently building a pair. But to say they are "the best" is simply asinine.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
How about "the best in my opinion"?
No personal attacks, please.

medium jim

How to get rid of the box-like sound?
Turn the room into the box.
Like most really clever ideas, it's just so obvious. 
Nothing's perfect but it really works for me and everyone else on this Circle.

Steve,

I guess it is taboo to say something is the best to the troll.  But let me say it again, the planar is the best type of speaker at reproducing music. Disclaimer: YMMV

Jim

SteveFord

• Facilitator
Last time, no personal attacks, please.
If you want to fight, get married.

josh358

It's surprisingly hard to argue with that, if you're talking about the natural reproduction of acoustical music. I'm trying to think of counterexamples. Some exotic technologies, perhaps, like the MBL's or plasmas. Maybe something like the Q7's, which I haven't heard.

medium jim

Last time, no personal attacks, please.
If you want to fight, get married.

Steve:

Understood...

Jim

Rclark

You can pry my planars from my COLD DEAD HANDS

SteveFord

• Facilitator
You can pry my planars from my COLD DEAD HANDS

You've found your signature line!  :D

medium jim

It's surprisingly hard to argue with that, if you're talking about the natural reproduction of acoustical music. I'm trying to think of counterexamples. Some exotic technologies, perhaps, like the MBL's or plasmas. Maybe something like the Q7's, which I haven't heard.

Josh:

I've heard the MBL's and they're outstanding, but so is their cost.  Cost is a major factor...the MBL 120's cost nearly 100k and are a bit pushed in the mid's, but do sound good.  I would buy Planars' over the MBL's even if they cost the same.

I understand that Plasma speakers are amazing, but the cost puts them out of the reach of most.  Not familiar enough with the Q7's to comment on.

Jim

medium jim

Rclark

You've found your signature line!  :D

you know what? Indeed. Indeed.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
Rclark,
And if you get married that may be exactly what happens!

That's one of the downsides to gigantic cubicle dividers that make noise.

Rclark

No way! Mine are beautiful furniture grade, mesmerizing to look at  :thumb:

medium jim

Planars' make nice room dividers too!

Jim

cab

If planars were factually the best, they are all that would be sold in the marketplace. The fact is, there are far more manufacturers of box speakers and far more of them sold. A lot of people obviously think differently. Clearly it is a matter of taste (or lack thereof) and opinion, not something that can be objectively defined for all. Just like amps, dacs, etc.