Horse trading for a set of Super V

PDR

• May the best man win
Horse trading for a set of Super V
« on: 20 Oct 2012, 11:49 pm »
I was one of the first to buy the V-1 kit when Danny offered it.
That had to be over 3 yrs ago(?) I love them, but always wondered about
the difference between them and the Super.

Anyway....a buddy came over a few weeks ago to hear them...he was blown away.
He ordered a Super V kit......lucky guy!

The other day he says the build might take a long time, and he questions his skills.
Asks me if I would be interested in trading....his kit for my finished V-1s.

:o.............YUUUUUUP!

My V-1s drove away 20 mins ago.....I threw in a small tube amp as well.
Made me feel better....

Now I have a new build to start.....I have some ideas...can hardly wait!.....now I'm a lucky guy 8)

Perry

SoCalWJS

Re: Horse trading for a set of Super V
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2012, 11:56 pm »
Wow! Congrats! Have you decided on finish? Did you get the Jupiter Caps?

Should be fun. Keep us posted and be sure to post your build.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2012, 01:44 am »
Congrats Perry! Can't wait to see what you do with them :)

rockdrummer

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:04 am »
Win win!!  Looking forward to watching your build.  Do you have anything to fill the vacated spot, or will you just wait until your Super V build is finished?

Ben

HT cOz

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:07 am »
Having built a trio of speakers, I know it's a ton of work. Pretty good deal all around. He might be back for your room treatments. Lol

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:12 am »
What a great way to help a friend, upgrade your stuff, and get you a new project to take on. . . and I know from reading your threads how much you enjoy projects.  :thumb:

Have fun!. . . and pictures.  Lots and lots of pictures of the build, please.  :green:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2012, 04:25 pm »
I'll make sure to post lots of pictures. This build is going to look different....
Going to be a lot of bending MDF.....  :wink:
I've built a lot of speakers over the last 5 yrs, so I've decided to test my skills.....
Hope I didnt stick my foot in my mouth with that last statement.

Not sure of finish right now but with all the pics of automotive paint on the
side panels (they look awesome) I'm leaning that way....except theres no side
panels on my new build....  :o

Yep I ordered Jupitar Caps.

I have filled  my room with other speakers from my HT build, theyre not GR so I wont
post them on here, but you can click on my gallery and figure it out....I'm missing
my Vs though, I can tell you that.

I work out of town 10 days at a time, so this build wont be fast, but I'm hoping
10 days from now I'll be kerfing MDF and forming jigs..... 8)

Perry

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2012, 05:27 pm »
Bending MDF??? Kerfing MDF???

....I'll have to watch this.  :scratch:  :dunno:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2012, 01:07 am »
Ok.....here goes.
I downloaded sketch-up today. I could see
with a little practice how a guy could get good at it.
Thats just not me yet.... :?

Heres what I made.....errr, what I'm going to try to make.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2012, 01:13 am »
Wow, awesome design Perry!

Very elegant and original, I love it :)

Any pics from the back/internal?

Are you going to brace the upper baffle at all?

Where will the x over go?

tasar

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2012, 01:55 am »
Perry....love the lower enclosure. Dead ringer for old time radio/jukebox form, which I have an affinity(collection) for. Not sure where you took your cue from, but you've got a nice cavity to bury the plates. With the Super Vs you can move that nice QRD off the wall and centered , to realize a great stage. Enjoy the ride !

Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2012, 03:44 am »
Just keep in mind that the side panels on each side of the upper section increases the baffle width enough to increase output near the 200Hz crossover point. It does this by shifting the dipole peak that you get in the response down into a range to where the output is already rolling off. Remove them and the upper driver won't play down low enough to reach the subs. And it will shift the dipole peak to a higher frequency range where you will then have to attenuate it with a notch filter.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2012, 04:54 am »
Thanks Danny....so something more like this?

I think I like it!

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2012, 05:04 am »
Yep, that will do it.

If I measure the Super-V front baffle across the center of the driver from the back side of the side wing all the way around the front and around to the other side wings back edge then I get about 23.5" And of course the front baffle along (no side wings) is only 13" wide.

That should give you a good reference.

sl_1800

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2012, 01:38 pm »
I like your second rendering much better, that will be very sharp!!!

gab

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2012, 04:56 pm »

If I measure the Super-V front baffle across the center of the driver from the back side of the side wing all the way around the front and around to the other side wings back edge then I get about 23.5"

Danny - how critical is the 23.5" distance to the Super-V design? For example, what if that dimension was increased (say due to a slightly wider baffle) to a measured 26.5" or a 3" increase?

Would this mean a crossover re-design due to extending the mid response deeper below 200 Hz and what would likely happen to the dipole peak in this particular example? I'm curious as to just how critical these distances are before they would start to impact the crossover design.

gab

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2012, 07:51 pm »
Danny - how critical is the 23.5" distance to the Super-V design? For example, what if that dimension was increased (say due to a slightly wider baffle) to a measured 26.5" or a 3" increase?

Would this mean a crossover re-design due to extending the mid response deeper below 200 Hz and what would likely happen to the dipole peak in this particular example? I'm curious as to just how critical these distances are before they would start to impact the crossover design.

gab

What happens when it gets deeper is that the upper frequency ranges (where the wavelengths are short) can set up cavity resonances. 

All of that stuff is very critical. It needs a wide baffle to push the dipole peak low in range and pick up the bottom end, but a wide baffle increases surface reflections and hurts imaging.

Folding the baffle back using short side wings works great to add baffle width but if they are too deep then they set up a resonance.

Follow the plan of the Super-V design and all will be good.

persisting1

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2012, 10:27 pm »
What happens when it gets deeper is that the upper frequency ranges (where the wavelengths are short) can set up cavity resonances. 

All of that stuff is very critical. It needs a wide baffle to push the dipole peak low in range and pick up the bottom end, but a wide baffle increases surface reflections and hurts imaging.

Folding the baffle back using short side wings works great to add baffle width but if they are too deep then they set up a resonance.

Follow the plan of the Super-V design and all will be good.

Danny,

Does this design have any adverse effects?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109455.msg1145278#msg1145278

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2012, 12:37 am »
Danny,

Does this design have any adverse effects?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109455.msg1145278#msg1145278

Not that I can see.

It can use a good base to hold the floor spikes though, but that may still be to come. Those woofers can really put some force on the box (trying to move the box around) and the spikes are a huge help.

SteveRB

« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2012, 01:02 am »
There is a more substantial base planned for the V!. I'm not too comfortable inserting the threads for the spikes in the 3/4" base.

Thinking an 1.5" thick base with an over sized foot print about 2"-4" all the way around. And they will be bolted together.