DSD DACs

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #300 on: 22 Jun 2013, 05:01 am »
If you doubt it's worth then why are you here?  Many of us have hundreds of DSD albums (if not more  ;) ).  And DSD download sites increase monthly.  Oh...and the DSD DACs we are discussing (except for the newest Lampizator) all do PCM too..

BTW, Ted, I ended up on the Channel D/Pure Music site today. I'm certain you already know this, but the product literature claimed their player can process DSD (presumably DoP?) using any DAC. Is the only advantage of these specific DACs to do native DSD? Also, see Kalmin Rubinson's column in the recent Stereophile. He is sounding pretty hung-ho for DSD. - JT  :thumb:

jcotner

« Reply #301 on: 22 Jun 2013, 05:01 am »

Today I discovered that the Lynx Hilo--that small box--is a veritable recording studio in a can. OK, slight exaggeration, but it is a truly amazing machine, and they turn it into an even better,more powerful one all the time with firmware updated via FGPA.

I have just spent a good section of the evening listening to some great tunes on
my Linx. Nothing but happy with mine.
They can be had around $2125 from time to time.
And I use my Hilo in a studio. Came to the same conclusion as you and
bit the bullet.
One of the things I never expected was the strengh of the headphone
section.
I wanted the A/D or I think I would have gone with the Mytek, since there
is around a grand difference in price.

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #302 on: 22 Jun 2013, 06:31 am »
I have just spent a good section of the evening listening to some great tunes on
my Linx. Nothing but happy with mine.
They can be had around $2125 from time to time.
And I use my Hilo in a studio. Came to the same conclusion as you and
bit the bullet.
One of the things I never expected was the strengh of the headphone
section.
I wanted the A/D or I think I would have gone with the Mytek, since there
is around a grand difference in price.

I haven't seen them quite that low. Can you tell me were? Thanks.

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #303 on: 22 Jun 2013, 06:38 am »
Ted, Mike, Anyone:
I need a SACD player (preferred) or at least a get-by CD player (e.g., Marantz 5004, 6004). My TTs are both down and my CD/DVDA player died recently. I have zero music in the house. Price-wise, I'm thinking Oppo 103 or 105 or 95, or maybe one of the Denons in the $500--1000 range. Any ideas will help. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #304 on: 22 Jun 2013, 01:47 pm »
Jeffrey,
An Oppo 105 would do well.  Then later, when your ship comes in, have Dan Wright mod it.

Pure Music, Audirvana Plus, JRiver, etc etc will NOT play DSD to non-DSD DACs.  They will simply convert DSD files to PCM (at a sample rate you specify in their setups).  For DSD DACs they will use DoP (to oversimplify: a 24 bit container that includes the native DSD file along for the ride) to send native DSD, or if using ASIO they will go direct.  Kinda moot point...either is native DSD.

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #305 on: 22 Jun 2013, 06:53 pm »
Thanks, Ted. Got it.

jcotner

« Reply #306 on: 23 Jun 2013, 07:43 pm »

I haven't seen them quite that low. Can you tell me were? Thanks.

PM sent

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #307 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:39 pm »
I think already sent you a thank-you, but just in case I didn't: Thank you. :-)

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
!!
« Reply #308 on: 26 Jun 2013, 05:25 am »
Took the plunge (on the budget level) and ordered my first DSD DAC today, the TEAC UD-501. Music Direct claims "In Stock and ships today." There has been no confirmation of this as yet, and I rather expect it to arrive sometime next week. Oh, boy!  :D

InfernoSTi

Re: !!
« Reply #309 on: 1 Jul 2013, 01:45 am »
Took the plunge (on the budget level) and ordered my first DSD DAC today, the TEAC UD-501. Music Direct claims "In Stock and ships today." There has been no confirmation of this as yet, and I rather expect it to arrive sometime next week. Oh, boy!  :D

Enjoy!  That is what many folks have and they all seem to rave about it...myself included!

Best,
John

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #310 on: 7 Jul 2013, 07:02 pm »
Thanks, Inferno. I have been off the boards for a few days, but I have got in a fair amount of listening. Yes, the sound is quite amazing. The only other DAC I ever owned was the Pass Labs D1, back in the day. It was a fine piece, with remote controlled analog outputs, balanced outs, etc., but of course back then it was only 16/44. I wish I still had it, just for it's beautiful build quality. But frankly, it never sounded like this: the little Teac is knocking my socks off!

Thank you all who patiently answered my questioning posts. The only thing that I feel is lacking in the UD-501 is the absence of variable outputs in preamp mode, necessitating use of a preamp vs. direct feed to power amps. I am mostly a headphone listener these days, however, so it's not a huge issue.   :D

shaizada

« Reply #311 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:48 am »
I finally have a horse in this race!  :D

I listened to a regular Chord QBD76 and really fell for the sound coming out of this player.  I also had a Chord QuteHD DSD dac with the normal power supply to compare with.  The QBD76 was just stunning and more involving on plain CD's than the QuteHD.  However, with DSD being played through Audirvana Plus and the QuteHD, it was just more involving.

Hence, I bit the bullet and picked up a Chord QBD76HDSD.  Just stunning!  It surpasses both the other Chord Dacs when playing DSD and high res PCM.  Regular 16/44.1 sounds the same as the QBD76 non-DSD version.

Also one thing of note, the balanced output of the Chord takes the sound to a different level compared to the single ended output.  Just more there. 

Here is a generic picture (ie. not mine), but mine looks EXACTLY the same...black:

wisnon

« Reply #312 on: 8 Jul 2013, 09:09 am »
Did you hear the Qute with a quality Linear Power supply?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #313 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:24 pm »
Hence, I bit the bullet and picked up a Chord QBD76HDSD.

Bring it over!

Russ

wisnon

« Reply #314 on: 8 Jul 2013, 06:11 pm »
Russ, you lucky man. It seems that U will get to hear the big brother!

shaizada

« Reply #315 on: 9 Jul 2013, 03:58 am »
Wisnon,

I didn't get to hear it with a good quality linear power supply.  I heard the QuteHD with the regular packaged power supply.

Russ, whenever we plan to meet next, I will gladly bring it over.  The sound is really something else...never cared much for digital, but seems like we are getting really close to what those magical bits can do....STILL does not beat my analog setup yet.  I'm sure we will get there one day, but that is not today :)

wisnon

« Reply #316 on: 9 Jul 2013, 08:53 am »
Wisnon,

I didn't get to hear it with a good quality linear power supply.  I heard the QuteHD with the regular packaged power supply.

Russ, whenever we plan to meet next, I will gladly bring it over.  The sound is really something else...never cared much for digital, but seems like we are getting really close to what those magical bits can do....STILL does not beat my analog setup yet.  I'm sure we will get there one day, but that is not today :)

Thanks.

That is a pity as it would be a good opportunity to see how close the Qute gets when fully tweaked out. The Chord are Transient Champs! RBCD should be gorgeous. I wonder what difference an iFi Audio iTube would make to the big Chord?

Active-6way

« Reply #317 on: 29 Jul 2013, 02:01 pm »
Another DSD contender : http://www.head-fi.org/t/673033/review-yulong-audio-sabre-da8-reference-dac Also has an pretty decent amp in it.

Seems to be pretty good on par with x-sabre, wondering if there is much between these two and a chord qutehd

mikitocasellas

« Reply #318 on: 5 Aug 2013, 02:26 am »
If listing all the DSD DACs (as I am also considering getting one due to all the hoopla), available now:
Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSD - $1600
Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse - $2500
Benchmark DAC2 HGC - $2000

And rumor has it Schiit has something coming at the lower priced end of the range.

Hello everybody,

I am new here, and i am hoping for anybody who has heard or had the chance to compare this W4S DAC2 DSD SE with the AURALIC VEGA?

Best Regards

Mike

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #319 on: 5 Aug 2013, 02:18 pm »
I am sending my Exasound E20 DSD DAC back to George so that he can upgrade it to MKIII status.  While DSD is obviously sublime, PCM is really fantastic sounding.  I am running the E20 with a Paul Hynes SR3-12 PS.

I will report back after I get the upgraded E20 back in my system.

Keep in mind that the VC on the E20 is pretty darn good.  I recently had bought an ADCOM GFP-750 and was running it both in passive and active with the E20 and decided that the E20 by itself sounded better.  Only when I insert a preamp the quality of a Bent TAP does the E20 sound even more musical than it already is.

I have also run the E20 off of a 12v battery and it sounds very good this way as well.  The Hynes just takes it to a better place. :D

Regards,

Randy