Broke one of my own rules and its going to cost me....

SteevA

Re: Broke one of my own rules and its going to cost me....
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2012, 01:08 am »
....  Go for it.
I intend to.

How long had the unit you heard been in operation?  I understand they change quite a bit (not sure how) over the first 100 or so hours.

When new, my Naim CDX2 was more detailed but also less musical than to the 14 year old Sansui CD-x711 it was replacing.  I was expecting that to be the case and after a few weeks, with its performance coming and going a bit, all was well.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #21 on: 25 Oct 2012, 04:06 am »
The units I heard were very broken in. 
Can very much agree with your Naim situation. And once broken in what a player. Love Naim digital

SteevA

« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2012, 08:55 pm »
I suspect you may be right about the Moon. I finally have it in place and first impressions are its a bit mechanical and lacking emotion.  I have it for a week and will play a bit with the settings but am not sure it will last in my system for a week. On the other hand I think I have managed to arrange to demo a Naim Superline.

threadkiller

« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2012, 09:06 pm »
Well, while you have it, give it a thorough go.  I can't stand it, and I'm forgiving of a lot of gear, but that's me.

Now you know of course a Superline sounds meh if not connected to at least a Hicap.
Getting expensive.   Check out the Linn Uphorik perhaps.  Getting raves, even over the Superline, for less money. Will work spendidly with your cartridge or higher ups.
Wonderful piece. 

SteevA

« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:05 pm »
Not sure I can get the Linn here, certainly not to demo.

I am aware of that reported PSU requirement for the Superline but in this case it will have to better the Pure Audio on its own as it is already slightly more expensive.

threadkiller

« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:20 pm »
But then there's the rub of it all... It may not.  Let us know how it goes.

vortrex

« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:49 pm »
I just picked up a Manley Chinook.  has anyone used one of these with an Amadeus?

threadkiller

« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm »
Well, the table won't care... Yet the cartridge might...

roscoeiii

« Reply #28 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:10 am »
I just picked up a Manley Chinook.  has anyone used one of these with an Amadeus?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Chinook. I am currently in love with the Avid Pulsus I picked up. A clear improvement over the SimAudio Moon 5.3 with the external power supply in my system (I got the Pulsus for less money).

bung99

« Reply #29 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:40 am »

Got one here now with 4 Genalex E88CC in it and think they are a bit of an improvement over the electros but have to go back & do a comparison soon now them are run in.
My GT mounted on the wall support with a benz glider through the Chinook, into the McIntosh pre into the Pass class A comming out the Focals 1038be sounds a treat. :thumb:

JCOehler

« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:17 pm »

Yes!  That is what I have now, Lyra Delos > Amadeus > Chinook.  Great flexibility with loading options.  I have the stock tubes as mine is only 5 months old and it has a slight, sweet tube sound but also very resolving.

SteevA

« Reply #31 on: 14 Nov 2012, 08:07 pm »
But then there's the rub of it all... It may not.  Let us know how it goes.
I will be quite OK if the Superline is not as good as the Pure Audio Vinyl.  The downside of the Superline is the potential upgrade with a Supercap, which, even if I wanted/could afford to pay for, I don't have room for.  I could fit in a HiCap but am aware that several consider that the HiCap won't offer much of an improvement over powering the Superline from my current Supercap via the AUX1 socket of the 52.

In the mean time I have improved the Moon (added capacitance, increased loading, lowered gain) but still remain unimpressed - Grace Jones should sound exciting if I remember correctly.

Steve
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012, 10:57 pm by SteevA »

threadkiller

« Reply #32 on: 14 Nov 2012, 10:16 pm »
Steve, my memory is telling me nothing will sound exciting with the Moon. And some gear I end up dissing will sound exciting at first, till it wears on you, or you realize its shortcomings. Yes, Grace should get you moving.

SteevA

« Reply #33 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:04 pm »
I think why I liked the Pure Audio was because its overall sound character was almost identical to the P75 (which I like), but it just did a lot better job by digging deep and pulling out stuff that did not get through the P75.  It did also highlight that the P75 made a slight hash of some higher frequency information (this bit was fixed in the Mk3) which I had not previously noticed.

threadkiller

« Reply #34 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:34 pm »
I can see that..I can also see you're wanting something on another level than the mklll.
Understandable...  the Uphorik fit the bill for me..

threadkiller

« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2012, 07:55 am »
Just a thought... Since you can borrow a p75 mklll, can you also borrow the new Dynavector step up, the SUP 200?  Try that with the mklll... For less money than the Superline... and I like it better...

SteevA

« Reply #36 on: 15 Nov 2012, 09:13 pm »
I asked about the DV SUT but the dealer had not heard of it.

Your theory seems to assume that the P75Mk3 will allow more detail through when set up for MM and being fed by a SUT than it does when operating in enhanced mode directle with a MC cart.  Not sure i see why that would be so.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #37 on: 15 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm »
Hi Steve,
It's not a theory, it's a fact, although to be honest with you I don't know why that is. The step up gives 23db of gain to the cartridge signal before it gets to the phono stage.  I've done it in several systems and works well, and much better than the 75 alone.   Now to compare those two together against the Linn Uphorik.
I've done the Uphorik and step up- it's heaven.

SteevA

« Reply #38 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:09 am »
I will do some more prodding and see what can be found for me to try.  I think the Mk3 I tried may have been sold but I am sure thay can find another.  The SUT may take a while longer.

threadkiller

« Reply #39 on: 16 Nov 2012, 03:07 am »
Since you have a great cartridge, which the SUP-200 is geared for, that with the p75 could be the ticket.
Worth prodding for, I'd say.

Are you in Australia? NZ?