« Reply #62 on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:36 pm »
Here is what I use for a all in one(digital) oppo 105, 2 channel

For analog phono I used a BP-26P,just sold it

was going for the bp 17,but no balance out

so a 2 channel bp-27p would good

Alphonse

Re: Digital Preamp
« Reply #63 on: 28 Aug 2013, 01:08 am »
Interesting, I just bought an Oppo 105 and I have been trying it with and without my BP6 preamp. So far I would have to say that although the 105 hooked directly to my PP300SST amps sounds great, it tends toward a dry clinical analytical type of sound and just a bit thin on dynamics. When I put the BP6 into the system, it sounds slightly fuller and slightly more musically realistic to me. The difference is subtle though. I am enjoying the sacds and dvd-audio discs I have.
I also have an Apple TV3 hooked to the HDMI input on the 105. This is why I was searching for and asking about a dedicated digital dac/pre.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #64 on: 28 Aug 2013, 08:28 pm »
Interesting, I just bought an Oppo 105 and I have been trying it with and without my BP6 preamp. So far I would have to say that although the 105 hooked directly to my PP300SST amps sounds great, it tends toward a dry clinical analytical type of sound and just a bit thin on dynamics. When I put the BP6 into the system, it sounds slightly fuller and slightly more musically realistic to me. The difference is subtle though. I am enjoying the sacds and dvd-audio discs I have.
I also have an Apple TV3 hooked to the HDMI input on the 105. This is why I was searching for and asking about a dedicated digital dac/pre.

I also have an oppo 105 that I tried straight into my Bryston 14bst. I also found the sound slightly fuller/ better when sent through my old  Bryston sp1.7 in 2 ch bypass.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #65 on: 28 Aug 2013, 11:10 pm »
My vote would go to the DAC with remote controlled analog attenuator, a couple of analog inputs(buffered or not) remote switchable, and be done with it. That would solve all of my needs.

RonCH

« Reply #66 on: 29 Aug 2013, 08:33 am »
Presently the BP26 is looking very out of place in the Bryston range and my prediction is that Bryston will announce at TAVES a completely redesigned flagship preamp to replace the BP26, using the circuit architecture developed for the SP3 and the B135.  I think that it has to be software controlled, will offer an option for an internal BDA2 DAC and will have an internal power supply.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #67 on: 30 Aug 2013, 11:32 pm »
  Would this possible preamp offer the phase reverse feature? :o

RonCH

« Reply #68 on: 31 Aug 2013, 01:08 pm »
This is pure conjecture, but I would say sadly no. 

Maybe we should ask James though. :)

jaxwired

« Reply #69 on: 31 Aug 2013, 01:48 pm »
I know I'm late to this party but I want to weigh in.  IMO, digital preamps are the future.  Bryston needs one to stay competitive.   Every day fewer people have an analog source at all.  Many 2 channel listeners only have a single digital source and do not see the point in a separate preamp with 5 or more analog inputs completely unused.  If you look at what's hot in the DAC segment (like the auralic vega or the new benchmark dac2 or the antelope zodiac line), they all have very well designed volume controls eliminating the need for a separate preamp.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #70 on: 31 Aug 2013, 02:26 pm »
I know I'm late to this party but I want to weigh in.  IMO, digital preamps are the future.  Bryston needs one to stay competitive.   Every day fewer people have an analog source at all.  Many 2 channel listeners only have a single digital source and do not see the point in a separate preamp with 5 or more analog inputs completely unused.  If you look at what's hot in the DAC segment (like the auralic vega or the new benchmark dac2 or the antelope zodiac line), they all have very well designed volume controls eliminating the need for a separate preamp.

Agreed - but I am thinking a modular approach where the preamp can be populated with a number of different circuits based on customer needs.  So a model that will do Digital only as the start point - then the option of adding an Analog card - and an  option of adding a Phono card and if I have my way a Digital crossover card to run the Model T Active speakers (that way the signal stays digital through the crossover areas and goes analog at the output only). :thumb:

james

john1970

« Reply #71 on: 2 Sep 2013, 01:26 pm »
Agreed - but I am thinking a modular approach where the preamp can be populated with a number of different circuits based on customer needs.  So a model that will do Digital only as the start point - then the option of adding an Analog card - and an  option of adding a Phono card and if I have my way a Digital crossover card to run the Model T Active speakers (that way the signal stays digital through the crossover areas and goes analog at the output only). :thumb:

james

Hi James,

I like this idea very much.  The ideal for me would be a combination of a BP-26 / MPS-2 / and BDA-2.  If one could squeeze those three units into a single box I would find it very tempting to purchase.  In this day and age I no longer use any of my analog inputs. 

Best,
John

tomsenko

« Reply #72 on: 3 Sep 2013, 02:37 pm »

james

Can I preorder this new machine? :D

Ansum

« Reply #73 on: 23 Oct 2013, 10:37 pm »
Hi James,

I like this idea very much.  The ideal for me would be a combination of a BP-26 / MPS-2 / and BDA-2.  If one could squeeze those three units into a single box I would find it very tempting to purchase.  In this day and age I no longer use any of my analog inputs. 

Best,
John

+1

I recently bought a 4BSST2 power amp and have been very impressed with it. A digital preamp would be fantastic. From James' comments I gather that such a product might indeed be under development. I would like to know how far Bryston is from an actual product launch.

Ansum

« Reply #74 on: 19 Dec 2013, 03:32 pm »
Just wondering if there was any further news on the development of this product?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 19 Dec 2013, 06:25 pm »
Just wondering if there was any further news on the development of this product?

Still working on it but with the recent interest in DSD we are looking at different DAC's.

james

jhameeh

« Reply #76 on: 21 Dec 2013, 05:27 am »
I wish this digital preamp will have a HT-Bypass and working even turned-off. Hope its not too much  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #77 on: 21 Dec 2013, 11:57 am »
I wish this digital preamp will have a HT-Bypass and working even turned-off. Hope its not too much  :thumb:

Yes it will have a bypass.

james

Ansum

« Reply #78 on: 23 Dec 2013, 11:40 pm »
Good to hear that Bryston is still working on the development of this product. I will hold on to my present Benchmark DAC1 HDR that I currently use as a DAC cum preamp and save up for the Bryston digital preamp whenever that comes to the market.

Ansum

« Reply #79 on: 14 Jan 2015, 03:19 pm »
I had a chance to audition the BDA-2 a few days back and it was fantastic. It would be nice if Bryston launched a DAC of the same quality with a built-in volume control. Any new developments on this front Mr. Tanner?