Digital Preamp

Phil

Re: Digital Preamp
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2012, 05:38 pm »
The BDA-2 with a few enhancements like a quality output gain stage, volume control and HDMI inputs?
james

With MPS-2 ps compatibility?  That could well be my third Bryston purchase. 
Phil

john1970

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2012, 05:42 pm »
Hi James,

I was considering a purchase of a BDA2 and BDP2 this Spring, but if you are going to release a digital preamp I will definitely wait.  I also second Phil's recommendation to make it MPS2 compatible.  Otherwise I might be selling my MPS2, BP26, and BDA1 for a Bryston Digital Preamp and BDP2.

Best,

John

cheap-Jack

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2012, 06:30 pm »
Hi.
James,

A digital preamp with a couple of HDMI inputs is exactly what I hope for. It would allow me to integrate my stereo system and home theater system.

Yes, as a stereo die hard (no movie please) I've been looking for a converter (or a simple "premap") to convert Blu-ray HD musical soundtracks only via HDMI I/P to stereo. So that I can listen HD music via my stereo system. Is it what any stereo fans dreaming for?

Finally, I got one converter from an OEM enroute my overseas trip only end last month. It  got  a HDMI I/P with VGA O/P, component O/P & composite video O/ps, & optical digital audio O/P & stereo L/R O/P jacks !!  :thumb:

I tried it in the OEM lab both HD vision & sound. Pretty accetpable considering the lousy audio got there.
I just can't wait to audition it hooked up to my stereo system with Blu-ray musicals. Not until I clear up stuffs left behind after my trip though.

The small converter is small & pretty affordable.  Let's see.

c-J

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2012, 07:23 pm »
:thumb:
thanks James.

on some discs, my ud7006 doesn't even play over the digital out, only analog out. Wished for the hdmi, to get it in digital format, even if it will be down sampled. Or would you think otherwise?
`i solve this now by having the tv digital out into the bda1, but would think a bryston DA-circuit would be the way to go.

Another thing, if your aiming at this, please consider lip-sync adjustment. It is a terrible nag not to be able to correct the video with the audio-lag. or vice versa.

This the Dune: http://dune-hd.com/eng/

Marius

I have this one - Dune HD Smart B1

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2012, 07:25 pm »
James,

If you decide to proceed with this, when can we realistically expect production to begin?  Also, will the volume control be motorised?

Kyri

Yes it would be remote control but I would say a least a year away if we do it.

james

Phil

« Reply #25 on: 13 Oct 2012, 07:46 pm »
Yes it would be remote control but I would say a least a year away if we do it.
james

well, if it blows everything else out of the water that would be worth the wait.  Digital stuff seems to be moving so fast - better performance at lower prices. 

RonCH

« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2012, 07:54 pm »
Personally, I wish that Bryston would make is a software-controlled replacement to the BP26 that included (this could be an option) a BDA-2 level DAC.  This would give the best of both worlds: a high-end preamp with digital inputs, and a Bryston preamp that can integrate into a Home-Theater setup other than the BP16. 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #27 on: 14 Oct 2012, 11:41 am »
How about a fully loaded analog and digital preamp with mm and mc phono, analog (or digital) eq, mono/stereo button, phase, dac, ht bypass, and all the bells and whistles for $7000 USD?

terrycym

« Reply #28 on: 14 Oct 2012, 06:08 pm »
What about DSD over USB?
It's becoming a bit of a standard now after all with a number of other manufacturers supporting it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2012, 06:18 pm »
What about DSD over USB?
It's becoming a bit of a standard now after all with a number of other manufacturers supporting it.

Certainly something to look at but it is real far from being a standard I think at this point anyway.

James

Stu Pitt

« Reply #30 on: 14 Oct 2012, 10:56 pm »
If I were to design a 'digital' preamp...

BDA and BDP in one box, along with 2 analog inputs (1 RCA, 1 XLR), and remote to change inputs and adjust volume.  HDMI input would be good too, considering what's been said previously.

Reasoning for analog inputs - connect a phono pre.  I don't think a phono section (analog one) would be good in an environment with lots of possibilities for noise to enter the signal.  Keep those low level signals that need a ton of boosting in their own separate box IMO.

Maybe add a streaming option too.

Can't afford a seperate preamp, so no need to cater to me!

skunark

« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2012, 06:06 am »
Seems like there's a few camps for a digital preamp with various digital connections:

* stereo: Optical, coax/bnc, aes/ebu, usb
* stereo: Optical, coax/bnc, aes/ebu, usb, HDMI
* stereo: Optical, coax/bnc, aes/ebu, usb, HDMI, analog pass-through
* stereo: Optical, coax/bnc, aes/ebu, usb, HDMI, analog pass-through and analog inputs feeding an ADC.
* stereo: Optical, coax/bnc, aes/ebu, usb, HDMI, analog pass-through and analog inputs feeding an ADC, with way to record...
* multi-channel: SP3

With HDMI, I would expect a few inputs with one output with ARC :)

I think the analog pass-through makes sense for those that might want to add a HT later.

As for the Analog to Digital Converter, this seems very expensive way to add a phono for playback and arguably not a performance improvement either.   Seems like a dedicated ADC for a computer would be the better way to go for recording as well.  If you want a play records, the better option would probably still be with a BP1.5/BP26 and add a BDA for your digital sources.

This might make an interesting vote, assuming all the flavors are covered here...

Jim

Rimbaud

« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:30 am »
Wow - I came over to the AudioCircle just to see if Bryston might be working on a digital preamp!  My old (ancient) login didn't work - re-registered just to say:

1) Since DSP processors will be on board, it would be a travesty not to include bass management and one or two XLR subwoofer outputs (prefer two).

2) Room correction is for real.  How about licensing Trinnov in 2.1 mode?  (Beg your pardon if this has been covered in regards to the SP3; I haven't been reading here at all).

Phoenix

« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:56 pm »
Hi James,

I like simple setups - so I recently searched extensively for a dac with preamp, analog input, resistor network based volume control (or perhaps a very good PGA) and remote control.

There is none, except Benchmark DAC1 HDR (heard rumors of ground loops via USB) and Mytek (no remote)! Would be very happy to see such a device from Bryston.

srb

« Reply #34 on: 15 Oct 2012, 05:28 pm »
I like simple setups - so I recently searched extensively for a dac with preamp, analog input, resistor network based volume control (or perhaps a very good PGA) and remote control.

There is none, except Benchmark DAC1 HDR (heard rumors of ground loops via USB) and Mytek (no remote)!

The new Benchmark DAC2 HGC has 2 analog inputs, hybrid volume control (32-bit DSP for digital inputs; analog control for analog inputs), native DSD conversion, home theater bypass and remote.

Combine that with the HDMI inputs of the NAD M51 and the DSD capability of the Mytek .... and you would have the Bryston BDPre-1.

Steve

Marius

« Reply #35 on: 15 Oct 2012, 05:36 pm »
+1!
Only add loop output for the bha1.. Balanced of course.

What I'd love Bryston to make is a high end version of Apple's airport express . Maybe as a nice side product next to this digital pre.

Needless to say the BPD would need at least as many inputs as the BDA1 with some extra analogs or some way to connect to the  balanced BP26...

Marius

The new Benchmark DAC2 HGC has 2 analog inputs, hybrid volume control (32-bit DSP for digital inputs; analog control for analog inputs), home theater bypass and remote.

Combine that with the HDMI inputs of the NAD M51 and the DSD capability of the Mytek .... and you would have the Bryston BDPre-1.

Steve

mrhyfy

« Reply #36 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:10 pm »
James,,are we sort of talking about a 2 channel SP 3 without video support here?? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:21 pm »
James,,are we sort of talking about a 2 channel SP 3 without video support here?? :scratch:

Yes it appears that way - honestly I was thinking about a much more basic unit for our first effort which would be a BDA-2 with volume control and analog outputs.  Some HDMI inputs and Balanced and single ended outputs.

James

Marius

« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:27 pm »
Thought we were talking about the 'future window' on the BDP-2.... :D
Marius

Yes it appears that way - honestly I was thinking about a much more basic unit for our first effort which would be a BDA-2 with volume control and analog outputs.  Some HDMI inputs and Balanced and single ended outputs.

James

terrycym

« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:37 pm »
Maybe we're talking about two products here?
A stereo SP3 and a BDA with a volume control and a couple of analogue inputs(with HDMI though)