We made it to Denver

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: We made it to Denver
« Reply #40 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:18 pm »
jn, i don't think it's the cabinet - or lack thereof - that gives the ob speakers a different sound.  it's simply the way that ob speakers interact with a room.  there are big nulls to the sides of ob speakers.  even the most inert forward-facing speakers/cabinets with zero resonance, (and yes, they do exist), will not have the dispersion pattern that ob speakers have.  that's the difference you are hearing, imo.

doug s.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #41 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:58 pm »
There was an extra...what the heck, I'll use the word...resonance. I really believe that the cabinets were adding that "extra" to the sound, no matter how well built they were.

Indeed, it's resonance.  A vented box is tuned to a certain resonant frequency, and then other (undesired) resonances come along for the ride, and need to be dealt with.  For example, a large unbraced panel radiates energy as if it were another (ill-sounding) driver.  (But some cabs do possess extraordinarily effective bracing, etc.)

Just FYI, OB's also have to deal with panel resonance, though they are miles ahead when it comes to room modes.  Very addicting!

jn316

« Reply #42 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:21 pm »
Maybe I was a little hasty in blaming it on the cabinets exclusively, but when it sounds like an extra vibration type of noise (not sure how to exactly describe it...a distorted lingering of sound) the cabinets came to mind as that is an obvious difference in the design. Obviously, in some speakers this is very subtle (well braced cabinets with No rez or the like), but I seemed to pick up on it to a certain extent with even the super pricey speakers that I'm sure are well braced and very heavy.

Sorry if this is something that has been exhaustively been talked about before, but it WAS the main thing I picked up on this year at RMAF. Funny thing is, I've noticed it before. When AV123 was still going strong at RMAF, I remember going from their room to Danny's room with the OB-7s and not being impressed. Something was missing.  :green:  I was so used to the sound of traditional speakers that I think it took me awhile to appreciate the lack of whatever this is I'm hearing.

Gary

Andre2

« Reply #43 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:39 pm »
^^ Regarding the above ^^^...
I noticed something similar in the Lone Star Audio Fest in regards to the Super V.  See what I wrote here.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:51 pm »
Maybe I was a little hasty in blaming it on the cabinets exclusively, but when it sounds like an extra vibration type of noise (not sure how to exactly describe it...a distorted lingering of sound) the cabinets came to mind as that is an obvious difference in the design. Obviously, in some speakers this is very subtle (well braced cabinets with No rez or the like), but I seemed to pick up on it to a certain extent with even the super pricey speakers that I'm sure are well braced and very heavy.

Sorry if this is something that has been exhaustedly been talked about before, but it WAS the main thing I picked up on this year at RMAF. Funny thing is, I've noticed it before. When AV123 was still going strong at RMAF, I remember going from their room to Danny's room with the OB-7s and not being impressed. Something was missing.  :green:  I was so used to the sound of traditional speakers that I think it took me awhile to appreciate the lack of whatever this is I'm hearing.

Gary

Distorted lingering of sound sounds like bass overhang, which can occur up to some mid bass freqs and is big problem with many rooms at RMAF.

jn316

« Reply #45 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:06 pm »
I went to the "Open Baffle Speakers" forum on audiocircle and found this fairly recent thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106268.0

Good discussion if anyone is interested.

Gary  :D

jn316

« Reply #46 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:13 pm »
Distorted lingering of sound sounds like bass overhang, which can occur up to some mid bass freqs and is big problem with many rooms at RMAF.

...and yet the publication reviewers talk about great bass.  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #47 on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:36 pm »
   Nah it was the filter setting on the DAC/ computer thingie all along . When realized and corrected all was just fine. Dem der speakers are built as tight as a button. The filter added some coloration which IMO sounded like resonance and a bit too much air. Once the issue was found all was well.
   This speaker has a bright future.

charles

sl_1800

« Reply #48 on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:52 pm »
I have owned open baffle speakers for many years now and I have a hard time listening to any box speaker.  With box speakers that little "something", resonance if you will, drives me nuts. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:55 pm »
I have owned open baffle speakers for many years now and I have a hard time listening to any box speaker.  With box speakers that little "something", resonance if you will, drives me nuts.
That means that you have never heard a good one then.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #50 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:42 pm »
...and yet the publication reviewers talk about great bass.  :thumb:

Huh? I was talking about rooms at RMAF in general... a distorted lingering of sound could be bass overhang from room resonance and not cabinet coloration. The GR research room had the best acoustic setup I saw at the show and did have great bass.

rockdrummer

« Reply #51 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:51 pm »
Okay, I know this isn't the place for this exact post, but it is in my head and I don't know where to start. 

I read through lots of the linked discussions in this thread about comparing ob speakers to boxed ones.  I really enjoy reading what is written, and i feel I've learned alot.  And everyone posts a similar sentiment.  You have to go with what you like.  What if I don't know what I like?  I just finished a set of Danny's A/V-1, and they are breaking/burning in right now. 

I have limited experience with expensive gear.  Long ago, too.  Martin logan with Krell.  Since then, I have a great entry level home theater with a Definitive Technology 6.1 system run by a small denon receiver. 
After listening to a set of bookshelf speakers with a much better crossover than my def tech towers, i like the change. 

I know the answer is get out there and listen to an OB speaker but I don't know any.  Plus, I have tried to learn what to "listen for" but I have spent several hours listening to music in my room, moving speakers, changing sub settings, moving couch cushions as makeshift room treatments and I have come up with one overarching obvious conclusion.

I have no idea how to identify problems in my room.  Maybe I am just looking for answers when I really need to do my own trial and error. I have wanted to ask that question many, many times and I always felt like it was a dumb question.  Maybe I will look for "Being an audiophile-For Dummies" book. 

I know this was a rambler, and I apologize.  I had to spew it out. 

I don't know :oops: :scratch: :roll: :(

musicisgreat

« Reply #52 on: 16 Oct 2012, 05:36 pm »
Hi .. I can help a little... Too much dampening can take the life out your room and your system.. Denver was great by the way.. but I think those rooms were over damped.. I like a wooden floor.. carpet is not my friend with audio or concrete floors.. start out with very little room treatment.. Positioning your speakers and pulling them 4 feet apart will help out big time.. you should hear the imaging locking in.. Clapping your hands in your room can tell you if u have too much echo.. I don't like taking the life out of my room and I really don't use much damping.. I have a nice pictured rug on my side wall that works fine.. plants work good too.. sides and behind your set up... I think too much dampening absorbs your mid-bass and reveals more of where your tweaters are.. I saw this dampening material that not only looked good but it might help if you don't go over board with it.. price was good too..  here's the companies name..... I am trying to find their site.. maybe I can find it on the circle... I think it was GIA acoustics.. If u find that site please share..

:)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #53 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:15 pm »
Hi .. I can help a little... Too much dampening can take the life out your room and your system.. Denver was great by the way.. but I think those rooms were over damped.. I like a wooden floor.. carpet is not my friend with audio or concrete floors.. start out with very little room treatment.. Positioning your speakers and pulling them 4 feet apart will help out big time.. you should hear the imaging locking in.. Clapping your hands in your room can tell you if u have too much echo.. I don't like taking the life out of my room and I really don't use much damping.. I have a nice pictured rug on my side wall that works fine.. plants work good too.. sides and behind your set up... I think too much dampening absorbs your mid-bass and reveals more of where your tweaters are.. I saw this dampening material that not only looked good but it might help if you don't go over board with it.. price was good too..  here's the companies name..... I am trying to find their site.. maybe I can find it on the circle... I think it was GIA acoustics.. If u find that site please share..

:)

GIK?

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

jn316

« Reply #54 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:39 pm »
   Nah it was the filter setting on the DAC/ computer thingie all along . When realized and corrected all was just fine. Dem der speakers are built as tight as a button. The filter added some coloration which IMO sounded like resonance and a bit too much air. Once the issue was found all was well.
   This speaker has a bright future.
charles

Charles,
I was complimenting the Super 7s, and being critical of the box speakers. See my original post.

Gary

jn316

« Reply #55 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:41 pm »
Huh? I was talking about rooms at RMAF in general... a distorted lingering of sound could be bass overhang from room resonance and not cabinet coloration. The GR research room had the best acoustic setup I saw at the show and did have great bass.

Dave,

I was agreeing with you! The bass in some rooms got great reviews when I thought they weren't nearly as good as Danny's room.

Gary

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #56 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:45 pm »
Dave,

I was agreeing with you! The bass in some rooms got great reviews when I thought they weren't nearly as good as Danny's room.

Gary

Gotcha  :thumb: